• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2254 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Friends
    Work
    Running/cycling

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:51 PM

My running buddy Fatboy (Gene) has been invited to run at Barclay 100 mile in Tennessee. Many consider this race the toughest in the world. It's 52,900 feet of climbing and descending within the 60 hour time limit. Only a few people have ever finished the race. Also, there is no other race like Barclay.

1) There are no directions to the start of the race, if you can't find the course, you don't belong in Barclay.
2) Entry Fee - This year Gene had to pay a buck sixty, $1.60 and a pair of socks to get in. Past years he paid a pack of smokes or matches and a $1.55, but race fees went up this year to $1.60.
3) There is no start time on race day....yep, you start 1 hour after the race director blows the conk shell, that could be 4:00 a.m. in the morning or at noon, you must wait until the conk shell is blown...then wait one more hour.
4) You have to find 9 books and tear a page from the book on each 20 mile lap to prove you made it around the course.
5) Typically a lap takes 10-12 hours to complete for 20 miles, you have to complete 5 loops.
6) Gene's PR at the 10K is 3 hours and 5 minutes.
7) The reason it's called the Barclay marathons has nothing to do with the race director or the area...there is no town named Barclay near by, Barclay is the name of the farmer that donates the chickens that are served at the race.

Here is some info on Barclay and photos....

http://www.mattmahon...kley/index.html

-CB
" yes, i realize I am narcissistic -- it's just one of the things I love about myself"

#2 Hockey Puck

Hockey Puck

Power Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1178 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:14 PM

I read horton's description of his numerous attempts at this thing. It's crazy but interesting to read about.

B
"Triumph over the adversity is what the marathon is all about. Therefore, you know that there isn't anything in life you can't triumph after that." - Kathrine Switzer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users