• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5954 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:08 PM

As many of you know, each year, TRL collects used shoes for the needy. We are the largest contributor of footwear for Operation Nightwatch, which has been distributing shoes to the homeless for many years--and we are now giving some of the shoes to a food bank, which distributes the smaller sizes to kids. We are also giving non-running shoes to a women's shelter and to Portland Rescue Mission, where they can wind up on the feet of people seeking jobs.

In 2019, we collected a total of 539 pairs of shoes. That is up from:

533 in 2018 

410 in 2017

268 in 2016

129 in 2015

257 in 2014

What this means however, is that in six years, we have shod 2,135 people. That is an absolute mountain of shoes.

To repeat, our record, set last year, was 538 pairs. At the moment, April 20, we are at 168 pairs for 2020. Rather amazingly, that puts us on track for about as many as we got last year, despite the virus. 

What's needed are wearable shoes. That's different from "runnable shoes." After your favorites have lived out their lives on the roads or trails, they still have hundreds of miles of walking in them, and there are people for whom that is an enormous blessing. Furthermore, they don't have to running shoes. Any comfortable walking footwear works.

If you want to contribute, bring your used footwear to me at any track workout, race, or First Friday, or arrange for me to collect it by any other means. Don't worry if they're a bit (or more than a bit) muddy. Also, your definition of "worn out" isn't most people's. In more than 2100 donations, I've only rejected one pair as too worn, and in that case, the sole fell off when I poked at it. We now even have uses for soccer cleats and spikes, if they are still usable for sports.

Monthly tallies (mostly for my records)

January: 53

February

March

April

May 

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

#2 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5954 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:43 PM

Sunday, I got a call for more shoes. Operation Nightwatch has a foot-care program when a medical expert (podiatrist, I think) comes in regularly to check people's feet. They are giving new socks and, if needed new shoes. It's nice to keep the shoe stock filled.

They are also having increasing need for women's and even children's sizes, which they distribute mostly through their SE Portland location, which sees a different range of clientele than downtown Portland.

So far this year, I've gotten 3 donations, representing six donors--i.e., six different sizes. The tally is good for this time of year, but this is the first time I ever remember being specifically asked for more. 

I'll post this on Facebook, too.

#3 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5954 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:48 PM

Bump. We are now at about 80 pairs for the year. Nice job! Keep 'em coming!

#4 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5954 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 06:29 PM

After a hiatus due to coronavirus, there has been an increased interest in shoe donations. Operation Nightwatch is still distributing them, albeit under revised protocols, and I'm willing to collect shoes so long as we observe social distancing. (Remember, I'm 66, and while I've recently reversed a major preexisting condition--I've lost 52 pounds, as of today--that may not mean I'm as low-risk as I'd like to be. Not to mention that I can't do anything about being over 65....)

Anyway, I have recently collected, and delivered approximately 60 shoes. There will be a huge need for these as we move into summer, because the people we've been giving them to have no other source that I know of. 

Meanwhile, contact me privately, if you have shoes, and we can arrange a way to "meet" (from 6+ feet away). 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users