7 replies to this topic

#1 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:07 AM

The Tour de Goose is a 5-stage running event held over three weeks in July.  For more information, click here.

Stage 1: Guillotine Mile.  (This is incorporated into the regularly scheduled Tuesday track workout.)

What: A countdown mile race. Whoever waits the longest to start, and still finishes before the clock strikes 0:00, is the winner.

Where: Duniway Track (SW 6th Ave and SW Sheridan St.)

When: Tuesday, July 9th @ 6pm.

Registration: Free.  Register here beforehand or at the event using a smartphone.

After Stage festivities at Lair Hill Pub.

If you're not familiar with it, the way the Guillotine Mile works is this. Prior to the start, everyone will submit a "bid time" for how fast they think they can run a mile. (This will be a true mile, not 1600m).
At the finish will be a clock counting down to zero. You will start when the countdown hits your bid time. If you finish before the clock reaches zero, you score your bid time. If you are faster than the bid time, you still score the bid time. I.e., if you bid 8:20, and run a world record, all you get credit for is the 8:20.
If you fail to cross the finish before the clock hits zero (i.e. run slower than your bid time) you get "chopped." That means that if you bid a 4:00 mile, and run 4:01, too bad, you lose.
Got it?
But there's another winkle. Once you see what your competitors are doing, you will have multiple opportunities to lower your bid. I.e., if you bid 6:40, and your rival bids 6:35 (or the age-graded equivalent), you can come back and bid 6:34, lowering your bid for as many rounds as you like.
The only restriction is that once you make a bid, you can only lower it. I.e., if you bid 7:15, and get cold feet, too bad. You're stuck with it.
The age-grading, of course, will affect this. If you're old enough, that 7:15 might beat a 6:10.
And that's where the website comes in, because it calculates the age-graded equivalent of your bid time, allowing you to figure out just how fast those fast masters runners actually are.
We will continue this on site, with paper backups, if needed, but to the extent you can get initial bids in now (and change them if you want), we can expedite the process, because Duniway doesn't have wifi. If 40 people are all trying to do it on cell phones, all at once, we're not sure how well the website will stand up. (Hence paper backups as needed.)
But meanwhile, register now, and update as desired. When Rick leaves for track, he'll print out what we have and bring it with him.

65175430_2626511930692281_52323524982865

Edited by David Hatfield, 07 July 2019 - 03:49 AM.

I could dig deeper..., but then I'd be further in a hole.

#2 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • 1334 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 03:13 PM

CODE RED! CODE RED! (with World Cup spoiler alert)

<scroll down>

Today in France in the World Cup finale, the U.S. Women were victorious. Meanwhile on this side of the Atlantic, in early bidding for the Guillotine Mile, Joe Dudman has entered the Red Zone! The red zone indicates a bid to run a national class time for his age and gender. Are the rest of you going to let this go unchallenged?! (Rumor has it that Gareth Price may be in shape for a WR.)

Bids may be placed up until shortly before race time on Tuesday, but wouldn't it be epic to have a multi-day bidding war? :-) And if that isn't enticement enough, anyone who enters an opening bid by Monday gets 50% off the free registration fee.

And If you're not planning a zippy time, there's still plenty of competition. Currently the two team classifications (Battle of the Sexes, and Battle for the Ages) are both knotted at 120 points a piece.

66331772_2652869951389812_31343473717527

#3 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5836 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:35 PM

This went beautifully, other than the rain. (Seriously; on July 9???)

Results are up:

https://www.roaringp...xsAKwAsKTd0gRYs

David, your app worked beautifully. The one caveat is that it turns out that most people don't bring phones to the track (they leave them in their cars). But we had all but 7 or 8 people registered in advance (and some degree of bidding war), and most of the rest were early enough to register on my phone or Scott's. The few who came too late for that registered on paper and were added into the tally before people finished their add-on workouts, so it went really well. The app was really great.

#4 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • 1334 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:49 AM

Glad the app worked.  I was nervous.  It was fun watching the results come in.

#5 RileyRex

RileyRex

Newt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:08 PM

Hi Rick, there must be an error in the results posted here. I didn't get chopped yesterday. I was given a card at the finish and watched my name get checked off. Hopefully everyone else who made their time got credit for finishing, but you might want to double check. Thanks. -Riley

#6 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • 1334 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:38 PM

An "Actual Time" field has been added to the results (https://www.roaringp...llotineMile.htm).  Enter your actual time if you'd like.  (It is an integer field.  The time you enter will be rounded to the nearest second.)  Holler if there's a problem..

#7 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5836 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:08 PM

Hi Rick, there must be an error in the results posted here. I didn't get chopped yesterday. I was given a card at the finish and watched my name get checked off. Hopefully everyone else who made their time got credit for finishing, but you might want to double check. Thanks. -Riley

You are correct, and it's been fixed. The paper record has it. 

Based on the paper record, I  can figure out what happened. Are you reading this, David? After the race, Scott and I were entering data for the six people who registered on site, too late to enter into app before the start. The one ahead of Riley got chopped.

When you hit submit, the data entry cells do not clear. Instead, they carry everything over to the next runner. Early in the process, we got a lot of duplicate entries out of that (later deleted) or people with the wrong gender. 

"Chopped" also carries over, apparently, and is so far off the screen that the box doesn't even show up on a cell phone screen.

Sorry about that, Riley. I now need to make sure that the same error didn't carry over to the one after you on the data entry list.

#8 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • 1334 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:04 PM

When you hit submit, the data entry cells do not clear. Instead, they carry everything over to the next runner. Early in the process, we got a lot of duplicate entries out of that (later deleted) or people with the wrong gender. 

"Chopped" also carries over, apparently, and is so far off the screen that the box doesn't even show up on a cell phone screen.

Ah yes, that is annoying.  Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users