5 replies to this topic

#1 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1232 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:00 PM

This year's Great Train Chase will be Sunday, Dec 4th from 10am to 12pm, followed by a meal at Sellwood location TBD (Philadelphia's or Laurelwood...)  Below is the timetable, and here's a map of the route.  Post if you have any questions, suggestions, etc.  (In case this date/time is not good for you, there will be a second night-running of the Train Chase on Sunday, Dec18th from 6pm to 8pm followed by dinner.  More details posted later.)

What:  The Great Train Chase is a run we do every December in which we chase various trains around town.  This year we will start and finish at Oaks Bottom, allowing us two shots at the Holiday Express steam train.  On the intervening loop section of our lollipop route, we will race 3 MAX trains and a Streetcar around downtown.  The route is 10.5 miles and will take 1 hour 45 minutes (10 min/mile average.)  Following the run, we will dine at Sellwood location TBD.

Route:  The route this year is 10.5 miles.  Here's a link to the route map.

Who:  Everyone.  The chase is designed for people who run 10 min/miles or faster.  And if you will be running slower than 10's, you can let me know and I will suggest more options.  As usual with a Red Lizard run, no one will be left behind.  If 10 min/miles sounds tediously slow, not to worry.  You can use the Hare approach: Try to run alongside the trains and take short breathers at the transfer points.

Start/Finish Location:  We will start and finish where the Holiday Express steam train loads and unloads passengers on the Springwater Corridor adjacent to Oaks Bottom Amusement Park.  Arrive up to 15 minutes prior to departure time to go over logistics, stretch, get cold, etc.

Timetable:
(Note: The min/mile pace listed for each leg is the minimum pace needed to make the next connection.  The speed of the trains themselves can be much faster, leaving brief layovers between legs.

Prologue) 10:00am The Holiday Express starts by going upstream toward the Sellwood Bridge and back.  This takes about 10 minutes.  You can follow the train, or just start downstream toward the Ross Island Bridge and get a jump on the train.
Leg 1) 10:10am Race the Holiday Express from Oaks Bottom to the Ross Island Bridge (2.3 miles, 7:50 min/mile.)
Leg 2) 10:28am Connect to MAX Orange Line (10:31am) and chase it over the Tilikum Crossing bridge (1.0 mile, 11:00 min/mile.)
Leg 3) 10:39am Transfer to Portland Streetcar (A Loop) and follow it up to PSU Urban Plaza at SW 6th & Mill (1.0 mile, 9:00 min/mile.)
Leg 4) 10:48am Dash after MAX Green Line down 6th Ave to Pioneer Courthouse Square (0.45 miles, 15:30 min/mile.)
Leg 5) 10:55am Try to beat MAX Blue Line across the Steel Bridge (1.3 miles, 8:30 min/mile.)
Leg 6) 11:06am Run the Esplanade and Springwater Corridor back to the Ross Island Bridge (2.15 miles, 9:45 min/mile.)
Leg 7) 11:28am: Race the Holiday Express back to the finish at Oaks Bottom (2.3 miles, 7:50 min/mile.)
Epilogue) 12pm Eat in Sellwood.  Probably at Philadelphia's Steaks & Hoagies (6410 S.E. Milwaukie Ave) if the Laurelwood Public House & Brewery (6716 SE Milwaukie Ave) is too crowded.  You're welcome to join in just for the Epilogue.

Scoring:  For those who wish to keep score, you can earn up to 3 points for each of the trains.  1 point for seeing the train, 2 points for running alongside train at least briefly, and 3 points for beating the train.

Costume:  Costume optional.  Seasonally appropriate headgear provided at the start (while supplies last.)

The Competition:  The steam engine will again be 4449 (the "Daylight").  Here's a picture from last year of our crew with the Daylight:

gtcii.jpg

Edited by David Hatfield, 30 November 2016 - 04:54 PM.

I could dig deeper..., but then I'd be further in a hole.

#2 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • 1232 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:30 PM

The Great Train Chase Part I is this Sunday, December 4th, at 10am.  See schedule above.

After the run, we'll be eating at Philadelphia's Steaks & Hoagies (6410 S.E. Milwaukie Ave) OR Laurelwood Public House & Brewery (6716 SE Milwaukie Ave)...  We can try Laurelwood first (they don't take reservations) and if they're too crowded, we can go to Philadelphia's.

Feel free to dress in costume.  Seasonally appropriate headgear provided at the start (while supplies last.)

p.s. The Great Train Chase Part II is Sunday, December 18th, at 6pm.  Schedule forthcoming.

#3 Tim

Tim

Vice President

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7998 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:07 PM

Just referred tomorrow's SBUX run to this instead. See y'all there at 10:00am tomorrow. David B an I will be running there from his house, so we can get in 12 miles.

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#4 Islander

Islander

Newt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:mtn biking, trail running

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:57 PM

I'll be there. Rain (or shine). Have lunch plan at commons cascade. See you in am.

#5 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • 1232 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:21 PM

20 (at least) of us this morning.  Weather cooperated.  Some bumps in the scheduling; thanks for helping out.  (Note to newcomers: Most Red Lizard runs aren't this chaotic.)  I gather there was some good dueling against the steam train.  Brunch afterward at Laurelwood.  Some photos in the Team Red Lizard group on Facebook.

p.s.  Darren and an accomplice were DQ'ed for using PEDs (when they stopped for coffee at the Starbucks at PSU Urban Plaza.)

p.p.s.  Great Train Chase Part II is Sunday evening, Dec. 18th.  Time and schedule forthcoming...

Participants:

Adena

Amanda

Brian

Charissa

Darren

David B

David H

Derek

Garreth

Jim

Joe

Kristen

Lana

Markiemo

Marsha

Pete

Raghav

Stacey

Tiffany

Tim

Todd

#6 Tim

Tim

Vice President

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7998 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:20 AM

p.s.  Darren and an accomplice were DQ'ed for using PEDs (when they stopped for coffee at the Starbucks at PSU Urban Plaza.)

Geez, I knew some people would miss the weekly SBUX run, but I had no idea just how much!!!  :whistle:  :tongue:

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users