• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10792 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:22 AM

Join us for a New Years Eve tradition - the annual Purge & Splurge.  This tradition started with the local ultra running community as an opportunity to run Wildwood Trail in Forest Park from one end to the other.  We have tweaked that slightly, allowing people to choose some options shorter than the full 30.1 miles (although if you are up for the challenge, do it!)

December 31 is a Thursday and not a day off for most.  But it is tradition, so get your time off request in now. To join, meet at the end point for whatever distance you plan to run (see options below).  If you know how far you would like to run, post in this thread so that others know there will be someone else to carpool to the start with.  If there is only one person planning on a specific distance... well, let's just say it will be hard to carpool to the start (or have a car waiting for you when you finish).

Time: Everyone will meet up around 8:30 am then carpool to the Newberry end of Wildwood for a 9:00am start with everyone.

The distances and finish point options are:

*~30 miles: Running the entire trail is 30.11 miles. Meet at the zoo (Vietnam Memorial parking lot) for this option.

*~25 miles: Meet at Lower MacLeay trailhead (end of NW Upshur) for this option.

*~20 miles: Meet at the NW 53rd Ave trailhead to Wildwood (http://explorepdx.com/forpark4.html). The point where Wildwood passes 53rd would be a 21 mile run.

*~15 miles: Meet at the gate at lower end of Saltzman, off Hwy 30.

*~10 miles: Meet off Skyline Rd at the top of Springville Rd/Firelane 7/Gas Line Rd (http://explorepdx.com/forpark2.html). This option is just over 10 miles.

Food/water

We will drop off supplies (probably Gatorade and some snack foods) at a couple points along the route (definitely Germantown and 53rd Ave, and perhaps a 3rd location as well). You can carry additional supplies if you feel the need, but the drops are set up so that anyone wanting to run the distance can travel light.

How long will it take?

As long as it takes. In the past some have broken 4 hours for the full 30 miles, but this isn't a race. Keep in mind that trail running is inherently slower than road running - and this is a long one... You certainly don't want to run out of gas and have to experience the "death march".

Who's planning to join (and what distance)?  

30 miles:

Aaron Coe

Denzil Jennings

25 miles:

Peter Bromka (Holman Lane)

Melissa (or 20 or less)

20 miles:

Len (or 25)

15 miles:

Andi

Darren

Kelly M (or 10)

Gary (or 10)

Conor

Tracy Della Valle

10 miles:

Andy Gribionkin

Karin Moonin (Maybe)

Joe Dudman

Edited by Jeff M, 29 December 2015 - 11:12 PM.
Updated list of participants

#2 andicamp

andicamp

showing my colors

• Red Lizards
  • 3488 posts
  • Interests:yes

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

As long as I'm running healthy and the weather isn't atrocious (precipitation-wise, not temperature-wise), I'm planning to be there. I would run some version of the 15 miler.

Also, note to self (and anyone else who might be tempted): do not plan to go to work afterwards! You will be one step above useless and will just end up going home early anyway! :)

2010 mileage: 2929
2009 mileage: 2875
2008 mileage: 2436.5
2007 mileage: 2254.5
2010 prs/races: 1/7
2009 prs/races: 15/18
2008 prs/races: 12/17
2007 prs/races: 9/11

#3 TDG

TDG

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

How timely, I just finished running 2 hrs on Wildwood.

Put me on the 20 mile list.

#4 KellyM

KellyM

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

I'm in for the 10 or 15

#5 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10792 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:51 AM

Is anyone willing to coordinate this year's P&S in my absence?  I hate to miss out on this annual tradition, but I unfortunately won't be able to join this year :(

All that is required for 1 (or multiple) people to do is:

1. Buy some snacks and place them at the 2 drop points (53rd and Germantown).  The club will reimburse you, but we usually put out some salty snacks (potato chips, pretzels), a big bag of peanut M&Ms (for those people with peanut allergies, of course :wink:), and some Gatorade or water + cups.  I usually gauge how much to leave at both drop sites based on the expected number of people planning to go long versus shorter distances.

2. Give an official welcome and instructions at the start.  If people have arrived at Newberry at 9am, it is safe to assume they already know what to do - run back to their car, wherever they parked it - so this is a really easy task.  I won't expect anyone to run with a camera, although getting a group photo at the start is always nice.

#6 Melissa83

Melissa83

Director At Large

• Board Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1019 posts
  • Interests:Sub- 3 hours or bust.

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:57 AM

I can help out and take care of the drop offs and intro. No photos while running for me... that sounds dangerous for me. 

#7 Gary

Gary

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:46 PM

I'd expect to do 10 or 15.

#8 Dazza

Dazza

Treasurer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:06 PM

I can also lend a hand - perhaps with one of the drop off points.  Also can bring a camera.

15mile for me

Darren

#9 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10792 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:54 PM

I can help out and take care of the drop offs and intro. No photos while running for me... that sounds dangerous for me. 

Thanks, Melissa!  I guess this is a Special Event :)

#10 Len

Len

Leapin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:27 AM

Count me in for 20.  If it's below  20deg I'll even wear the Wildebeest hat.

"I am being driven forward into an unknown land...
Whither? That I don't know. That I don't ask to know." - Dag Hammarskjold

#11 Melissa83

Melissa83

Director At Large

• Board Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1019 posts
  • Interests:Sub- 3 hours or bust.

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:35 AM

Thanks Darren! We can coordinate as it gets closer.

Im hoping to run 25ish back home, subject to change, of course. 

#12 J.Mark

J.Mark

Newt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Running,Yoga, Weights, Spinning, MTB, Cycling, Snowshoeing, XC Skiing, STEM.

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:57 PM

I would like to run Wildwood E2E [30 miles] at a training pace to finish in about five hours, which includes a few moderate rest stops. Water and restrooms are available at Pittock Mansion and the Audubon Sanctuary next to Upper McLeay Park, during business hours, though it is best to be self supported with water and snacks. I have run this many times... it's a blast.

#13 LetsGoOutside

LetsGoOutside

Newt

• Red Lizards
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

I'm in for the whole thirty and am up for a finish time of anything between four and five hours, depending on who else runs. I'll be self-supporting. Can't wait! See you there!

#14 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8121 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:11 AM

I would like to run Wildwood E2E [30 miles] at a training pace to finish in about five hours, which includes a few moderate rest stops. Water and restrooms are available at Pittock Mansion and the Audubon Sanctuary next to Upper McLeay Park, during business hours, though it is best to be self supported with water and snacks. I have run this many times... it's a blast.

You know, if you join the P&S group on 12/31, you'll be able to do this with other runners AND there will be food/drink drops along the way! How about that?  :thumbsup:

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#15 Angela

Angela

Secretary

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2373 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:13 AM

Count me in for 20.  If it's below  20deg I'll even wear the Wildebeest hat.

I do love the wildebeest hat or should it be called the wildwoodbeast hat?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users