12 replies to this topic

#1 SusanB

SusanB

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:58 AM

Not a running topic at all, but there Red Lizards are a good source of information so... Any recommendations for resorts or Bed and breakfasts on Kauai or Maui? Looking at visiting in February. Info on cool trails also welcome 😊

#2 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8118 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:56 PM

Geez, Alaska, Chicago, Hawaii...

You're becoming quite the traveler! :D

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#3 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10790 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:25 PM

No lodging suggestions, but if you have some options in particular areas, I can at least give you my own personal recommendations of where I would stay on either island.

And should you select Kauai, I can tell you there is such an abundance of trails to run there that you could do something epic every day and not repeat the same amazing trail.  And it's such a small island that no matter where you stay, all of the trails and beaches are options on any given day.

#4 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5827 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:32 PM

I've been to Maui 3x. The killer trail there is through Haleakala. I've done it twice in a day, and once as a 3-day backpack. There are two ways into the crater. One is at the top; the other is 2000 feet lower. Liana grew up doing this run in high school, so you should get details from her. I go in at the low end, explore the crater, climb out at the high end and hope to hitch a ride back to my car…though once I dropped my hiking companion off at the top, parked the car at the lower end, and did a double-Goose (at an average elevation of 9,000 feet) back to my friend. 

However you do it, this is a world-class adventure. If you go to Maui, this is THE hike/run. (Parts of it have cliffs, so I'd advise against running the whole 20 miles.

#5 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5827 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:37 PM

If you want a (super hilly) road run (on Maui) go to West Maui and run as much of the coastal road as you like. I bicycled the whole loop once, and supported a runner another time. Steep hills, but major spectacle. 

Another great Maui run is on the gravel road that circles counterclockwise beneath Haleakala to the Seven Sacred Pools, toward Hana. Liana's FB profile pic comes from that. Stunning scenery, and not much traffic. Do not run the parts closer to Hana. I've biked that. Aggressive traffic and no easy way to avoid it.

#6 Dreed

Dreed

Cruise Director

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:05 AM

Hey Susan- perfect time to go to HI!

I've only been on Kauai for work so no good recommendations, but it is a beautiful island and I've always wanted to go there for vacation.

On Maui-

I seem to recall that the Hotel/Condo industry was trying to limit the Air B&B type stuff as it was cutting into their business but not sure about plain old B&B's

Locations on Maui- Kaanapali/Lahaina is more touristy than Kihei/Wailea if you are staying on the West side of the island. Plenty to do in both areas and good beaches if you are looking for some sun worship or kayaking. If you aren't looking to stay right near the beach there are some cool places in the up country.

Plenty of hiking- the trails on Haleakala are always good, but there are also some trails on the mountain below the treeline in the Redwoods that are really pretty. Another one that i've done and liked was right in the middle of the island (Lahaina Pali) that has some good elevation (for Maui) and when you get to the peak has some great views of all of most of the island. This isn't horrible site to give you some ideas- https://hawaiitrails...php?island=Maui

#7 SusanB

SusanB

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:39 PM

Thanks so much.  This gives me some ideas.  I'll do some more research and likely have more questions :) 

#8 Toneby

Toneby

Gecko

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:kayaking, climbing, mountain biking and running!

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:06 PM

We stayed at Napili Kai on Maui in March. It was very nice and low key. But it rained there when it was not raining in Kaanapali a few miles south. I found the running intimidating because of the lava rock.

#9 Toneby

Toneby

Gecko

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:kayaking, climbing, mountain biking and running!

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:02 AM

Not to be too glum, but I also remember that I picked up a women's running magazine to read on the beach while I was there. In it was an article about some one that had been attacked while running early morning in Kapalui. Apparently, it was not the first attack and the man had not been caught. Sort of a creepy thing to read while relaxing on the beach, but maybe a good reminder to be careful.

#10 Jeff M

Jeff M

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2734 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:28 AM

Susan, Hi! I have been to Maui and Kauai multiple times. My favorite spot is the north shore of Kauai. That's where the movie "South Pacific" was filmed so you know it's spectacular!

If I had some ham I could make ham and eggs if I had some eggs.

#11 slink

slink

Newt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:30 AM

Hawai is a perfect place to spend time on , especially if you have cash and desire to have fun) I remember my trip to Hawait with and old friend. It was a bachelor party with a few models from this agency. We mainly were concentrated on good time and erotic massages, since here is engaged haha:) But it was a good time, and I can definitely recommend Hawaii in general as a resort, and also this agency as a mood booster haha :) 

#12 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8118 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:21 PM

Hawai is a perfect place to spend time on , especially if you have cash and desire to have fun) I remember my trip to Hawait with and old friend. It was a bachelor party with a few models from this agency. We mainly were concentrated on good time and erotic massages, since here is engaged haha:) But it was a good time, and I can definitely recommend Hawaii in general as a resort, and also this agency as a mood booster haha :)

Who are you, Mr. Spam?

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#13 slink

slink

Newt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:57 PM

Who are you, Mr. Spam?

Why spam? I told people the story from my life) If there is a link to a website, it doesn't mean that's a spam link) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users