8 replies to this topic

#1 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3769 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hello, I am looking for advice for a 4 day trip that's not too far, but far enough to feel the sun. Maybe wine country, running, spa or just a get away.

California, Arizona?

Hotels? Resorts? Needing some ideas.

#2 Tgirl

Tgirl

jill of all (running) trades

• Red Lizards
  • 3855 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Well there's the thread on Bikram yoga. Maybe they could throw a sunlamp in the corner :rolleyes:/>

Does it have to be in December?
Life is short - don't postpone happiness

#3 loof

loof

When more miles on a broad is a good thing.

• Red Lizards
  • 5866 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

San Diego is nice. What about Palm Springs? San Francisco would be a little cool and probably not that sunny. Some nice trails in Northern California, though....

do3nyr.jpg

#4 allezvita

allezvita

motivationally challenged

• Red Lizards
  • 6568 posts
  • Interests:running, dogs, travel, good beer, good wine, good food

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

If you get into Napa and the Dry Creek Valley you might find weather you're after. Santa Cruz is nice, further south is Monterey which is beautiful but the weather can be iffy any time of year (it was 50 and foggy when we were there in August). East Bay will get you away from the ocean and into better weather. We were there in November a couple years ago and had great weather to hike through Muir Woods to Stinson Beach.

If you're looking for purely sun, Tahoe can be great in the winter. Lots of sun at altitude. Squaw Valley is fabulous. So is Incline Village. At least there's fireplaces, spas, books, and cocktails.
"unless you're doing chest compressions, you always have time to go to the bathroom"

"bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi"
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept my word

Plan your dive, dive your plan

when life gives you lemons, add booze

#5 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3769 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Loof, ya I thought about Palm Springs but never been there so I need to research this some. I have heard a lot of great things about it. Thought about Sedona as well. Great idea about Northern trail running in CA, I may sign up for a few in the Spring. Great ideas.

Joanna, I said warm and sunny, not a painful, stinky bacteria filled petri sauna with floating viruses and athletes foot waiting to attack me :hot:/>/> December 21 until Jan 7 is when I have vacation time, so I'm pretty limited and can stay longer than 4 days if it's the right price.

Sarah, hmm.....I will look up East Bay, never been and those Muir woods sound really cool. I haven't experienced Napa Valley for wine tasting either, that would definitely be super fun. Of course where ever I decide, running of some kind will be included. I'm not apposed to cold like Tahoe as long at there is sun, a spa and a fire place either.

Thanks for the ideas.

#6 Tgirl

Tgirl

jill of all (running) trades

• Red Lizards
  • 3855 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

I had a suggestion for you if you could have gone later in January, but given your dates, then I too would suggest San Diego. I know that Alaska airlines has a flight sale going on this week, and you can probably get decent fares.
Life is short - don't postpone happiness

#7 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3769 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

I had a suggestion for you if you could have gone later in January, but given your dates, then I too would suggest San Diego. I know that Alaska airlines has a flight sale going on this week, and you can probably get decent fares.

Thanks, SD would be nice too. I will check out alaska and SW airlines. Thanks again.

#8 markiemo

markiemo

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3031 posts
  • Interests:Trail running, biking, hanging with reptiles, camping, traveling,
    beach bumming, enjoying the endless string of Saturdays...

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Sherpa spent about 4 days on Catalina Island a few months ago. You can see it from the shoreline of Los Angeles.

He came back raving about how awesome it was.

Though I grew up in LA and could see it every time I went to the beach I never actually set foot on the island. So, what do I know?

#9 Angela

Angela

Director of Apparel

• Board Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hello, I am looking for advice for a 4 day trip that's not too far, but far enough to feel the sun. Maybe wine country, running, spa or just a get away.

California, Arizona?

Hotels? Resorts? Needing some ideas.

I'd suggest a bit further south to Mexico to assure warm temps. I'd suspect it would also be a cheaper vaca than staying in the states.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users