11 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Man

Ray Man

Iguana

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hi, I am planning to (finally) spend a couple of days driving up the Oregon coastline on my way back from California.
Are there any special spots that you grizzled veterans of Oregon might recommend?
I am planning to camp, unless there is a special inn or something where one must stay, and run or hike the coast, or just sit on the beach and look out into the distance.
Thanks

Ray man

#2 allezvita

allezvita

motivationally challenged

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6585 posts
  • Interests:running, dogs, travel, good beer, good wine, good food

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

you can't go wrong with the coast. Newport/Depoe Bay are amazing. We stayed at the Moolak Shores Inn in Newport which was quaint. Manzanita and Pacific City are other favorites. Go to the Pelican for good beer, climb the dune, watch the whales. The Inn at Kiwanda is lovely-maybe starting to get a little pricey as the summer season approaches.
"unless you're doing chest compressions, you always have time to go to the bathroom"

"bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi"
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept my word

Plan your dive, dive your plan

when life gives you lemons, add booze

#3 markiemo

markiemo

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3068 posts
  • Interests:Trail running, biking, hanging with reptiles, camping, traveling,
    beach bumming, enjoying the endless string of Saturdays...

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hey Ray Man! Good to hear from you. Was wondering what became of you.

There's a really nice hike to the top of Humbug Mountain which is between Gold Beach and Port Orford. There's a campground there also. Anywhere along the southern Oregon coast is pretty spectacular for that matter. The trail that runs along the Rogue River by Gold Beach is great also if for no other reason - there are no motor vehicles allowed anywhere around the vast majority of the area along the river. The trailhead is a bit of a ways inland though as I seem to recall.

Just driving the Oregon coastline is awesome. This time of year there won't be many people - especially in the southern sections.

Enjoy.

#4 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 9828 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

I'm a huge fan of the Three Capes loop (between Pacific City and Tillamook). Sarah already mentioned Inn at Cape Kiwanda and the Pelican Brew Pub - both are great. But so are the other 3 capes. My favorite is the middle one - Cape Lookout. There is a great state park campground on the beach at the base of the cape, and you can do a 10+ mile out-back run from the lower campground to the end of the cape and back. Awesome. One of my favorite runs, and there are some nice beaches there as well. Plus, being able to camp right on the beach... there aren't a lot of official options that allow that one the northern coast.

#5 Ray Man

Ray Man

Iguana

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Great to hear from some of you Red Lizards, and a big hello! You guys totally hit the spot with your suggestions, and I appreciate your understanding of where I was coming from. I am headed to the Big Sur marathon this weekend but this time I want to take an extra day or two coming up ....
I was away for a couple of months, and then down with a funny virus. I have been running since February, but mostly on trails. I hope to come out more this summer.

Thanks for the great input!

Ray Man

#6 markiemo

markiemo

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3068 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

I ran the Big Sur Half last year and LOVED it !!

The full is put on by the same people and is extremely well organized not to mention wildly scenic.

Enjoy.

#7 DC2PDX

DC2PDX

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Interests:Running (obviously), hiking, backpacking, horses, reading, traveling, cooking and baking.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

I spend time in Yachats every summer-it's a tiny town, really cute, and at least in the summer it's pretty easy to see whales from the shore. If you need a place to stay The Fireside allows dogs and is reasonably priced, clean, etc.
The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself.
-Mary Schmich

#8 markiemo

markiemo

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3068 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

Ooohhh. If you do stop in Yachats (which is a fun and funky town) or even if you don't be sure to take the short drive up to the top of Cape Perpetua which is just south of Yachats.

If it's a clear day the view will blow you away.

#9 Angela

Angela

Director of Apparel

• Board Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

You must run down the dunes in Pacific City which is located right near the Pelican Brew pub.

#10 Ray Man

Ray Man

Iguana

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

You must run down the dunes in Pacific City which is located right near the Pelican Brew pub.

What an awesome treat. I am now more excited about the drive back even before having set out! Thanks again.

#11 Ray Man

Ray Man

Iguana

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

Well, I guess I need to add my observations to this thread ...

I took my time to drive up from CA on 101. I had a mild disdain for that route until I made this trip. But the variety, starting from the craziness of the Peninsula to the rugged serenity of the coastline, has changed my mind.I went slowly through Mendo and Humbolt Counties. I was under the impression that the part in Oregon is the most rugged, but I was charmed by northern CA - perhaps I am partial to those old growth mighty trees. Camp grounds were generally empty at this time of the year, and I could walk into any one of them. Learned a lot about how things work down there by chatting with the sparse campers, small store owners, and a couple of hitch-hikers I picked up. That is a tough call - picking up hitchhikers - I got picked up many times when I was headed up north many years ago, so I work on my karmic balance sheet whenever I can. But also, they can tell you what is going on like no one else. And some of them have an interesting prison story or two to tell.

Once into Oregon, all your recommendations came into play. I meandered along up to Humbug State Park (hat-tip to Markeimo). It is a nice campsite by a creek entering the ocean, but a bit close to 101. The 6-mile run around Humbug mountain would have been a great one to do -you would run through coastal forest that would open up to magnificent ocean views - similar to the Coastal Trail in Marin, and would have had some good elevation gain as well.

From Humbug, the Cape Blanco State Park is only 12 miles, and was my best stop on the trip. They claimed that it was the westernmost point in the lower 48. It has a lighthouse on the Cape, kept in picture perfect condition. You can drive up to it, but the intensity of the landscape is compelling. And the wind almost gets to the bone. I want to return to spend a few days at that State Park. It is about 5-5.5 hour drive from here.

From there I drove up along 101 up to Reedsport, but then cut inland toward Eugene. The sand-dunes were beginning to assert themselves around Reedsport. The reason I did that was because 101 was headed inland from the ocean and would stay inland for a while. Also, I thought that I could head down till Carl Washburne State Park through Yachats (ref. DC2PDX) on another trip setting out afresh from Portland. BTW, that road from Reedsport to Eugene (Umpqua Highway) is VERY pretty.

What else? The Oregon Coastal Trail starting from around Brookings looked really intense at some of the access spots I checked out. Running it seemed almost impossible.

In summary - it can be a very relaxing way to spend a couple of days or more out there, but can also be amped up by adding on runs and hikes.

#12 Kate

Kate

Former President

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1603 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Nice recap! I grew up down in North Bend and got to drive Hwy 38 (between Reedsport and The Valley) pretty regularly to go the big city (Eugene:-). It is totally the most gorgeous valley to coast route.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users