#1 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

** UPDATE **
Reservation has been made for Marshall Cabin near Trillium Lake for Easter weekend (check-in Friday the 6th, out on Sunday.) Have about 8 people now. Can sleep 10-12. (7 beds plus room for sleeping bags on the loft.) More info to come...

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

Hey all,

Anyone want to do a weekend trip to Mt Hood in the next month or so? With a bunch of people it's fun and fairly inexpensive to rent a cabin. I've stayed at Summit Meadow Cabins and Cooper Spur before. Summit Meadow Cabins are cool because you XC ski/snowshoe in and they are located on the loop trail around Trillium Lake. Cooper Spur is nice because you're 5 min from their ski area, but also near Mt Hood Meadows and Teacup. And there are other options...

Looking at the calendar appears that the weekends of March 24th/25th April 7th/8th or 14th/15th would be the best bet, but other weekends might work. (Summit Meadow Cabins require two night stay and have limited availability.)

Are you interested? What weekend(s) are good for you? How many nights would you like to stay?

Edited by David Hatfield, 23 March 2012 - 12:40 AM.

I could dig deeper..., but then I'd be further in a hole.

#2 Sarah Z.

Sarah Z.

Newt

• Red Lizards
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Triathlon, running, hiking, kayaking, XC skiing, nutrition and alternative health.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

That sounds great David! Count Tom (my BF) and I in. That weekend March 24 - 25 sounds good too.

#3 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • 920 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:51 AM

March 24/25 now not looking great. March 31/April 1 is out for me. So I'm thinking April 7/8 or 14/15. Potential conflicts: 7/8 is Easter weekend, and 14/15 is Bridge to Brews. But snow is usually good through mid-April, and Mt Hood Meadows plans to be open, but I think Cooper Spur downhill area will not.

So if you are interested, let me know your preferences, and I will make a reservation.

As far as activities, a group outing would be fun (I'm open to ideas) but people can do what they'd like. I would like to do one day of downhill skiing or boarding (and would be glad to provide instruction for beginners.)

#4 Sarah Z.

Sarah Z.

Newt

• Red Lizards
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Triathlon, running, hiking, kayaking, XC skiing, nutrition and alternative health.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Well Easter Weekend looks like the only good time, but I would be worried prices would be higher b/c of the holiday. I could possibly do the weekend of the 24/25th also. The Bridges to Brews weekend is out and the weekend after that is the Red Lizard 5 miler so this doesn't sound so easy.

#5 Ben F

Ben F

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

I'm a longshot to go but I could might be convinced if the snow is still good in April. I work for a vacation rental company and we have a really nice, secluded cabin up around the Summit Meadows area: https://www.vacasare....php?UnitID=206 Google map: http://g.co/maps/8p6qv

It's ski-in, ski-out only (or snowshoe), and is about 1.4 miles from the sno-parks. I built an awesome sled/luge track last weekend after several feet of snow. I can cut you a deal on the rent and cancel the cleaning fee if promise not to be morons and if you're willing to clean up after yourselves. $345 total for the weekend, vs $583 regular price. We don't raise prices for Easter, though we do for 3 day weekends. PM me if you're interested and I can work it out.

I'd be down for something like this next winter but this April will be difficult to swing.

#6 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10156 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

I built an awesome sled/luge track last weekend after several feet of snow.

Now that sounds fun! One of the most fun things I've done is sled down the Glade Trail from Timberline to Govt. Camp on a school trip, circa 6th-8th grade. I don't think it was kosher, since it's supposed to be a ski trail, but man was it a blast :thumbsup:
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#7 Fidel

Fidel

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 4180 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

March 24/25 now not looking great. March 31/April 1 is out for me. So I'm thinking April 7/8 or 14/15. Potential conflicts: 7/8 is Easter weekend, and 14/15 is Bridge to Brews. But snow is usually good through mid-April, and Mt Hood Meadows plans to be open, but I think Cooper Spur downhill area will not.

So if you are interested, let me know your preferences, and I will make a reservation.

As far as activities, a group outing would be fun (I'm open to ideas) but people can do what they'd like. I would like to do one day of downhill skiing or boarding (and would be glad to provide instruction for beginners.)

You can't make it on 4/7 because you'll be here: http://www.runnerspace.com/OTCmasters :tongue:

#8 Sarah Z.

Sarah Z.

Newt

• Red Lizards
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Looks like if what Fidel says is true then the trip is out completely.

#9 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • 920 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:47 AM

I'm a longshot to go but I could might be convinced if the snow is still good in April. I work for a vacation rental company and we have a really nice, secluded cabin up around the Summit Meadows area: https://www.vacasare....php?UnitID=206 Google map: http://g.co/maps/8p6qv

It's ski-in, ski-out only (or snowshoe), and is about 1.4 miles from the sno-parks. I built an awesome sled/luge track last weekend after several feet of snow. I can cut you a deal on the rent and cancel the cleaning fee if promise not to be morons and if you're willing to clean up after yourselves. $345 total for the weekend, vs $583 regular price. We don't raise prices for Easter, though we do for 3 day weekends. PM me if you're interested and I can work it out.

I'd be down for something like this next winter but this April will be difficult to swing.

Ben, That would be great. Thank you very much. Looking like Easter weekend, but I want to wait to hear from a couple others, and then I'll PM you.

Sarah, Fidel was teasing.

#10 Cam Brown

Cam Brown

Iguana

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

I don't think I can make it Easter Weekend. If the date changes then I'll likely be able to make it. Sounds like fun =)
"smile...it can get worse" (by an anonymous ultrarunner)

#11 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • 920 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

I don't think I can make it Easter Weekend. If the date changes then I'll likely be able to make it. Sounds like fun =)

OK, 7 people have expressed interest in Easter weekend. Sorry, Cam. If you can make it for some or all of the weekend, that would be great. I may be up for going up another time as well. Checking with Ben if we can get Marshall cabin. Sleeps 6, but thinking we can get permission for a few more if promise to be well behaved. There are also other cabins in the area, so we could rent a second one. The more, the merrier.

#12 Sarah Z.

Sarah Z.

Newt

• Red Lizards
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

That sounds great. Let us know more details when you get them worked out!

#13 julz

julz

50k sprinter!

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts
  • Interests:Running, Horses, Rabbits, Kayaking, wine tasting, 80's new wave, yes I'm old

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

sounds fun, like the old days!! maybe i could rent snow shoes and visit you all during a day trip. Still on my bucket list to learn how to xc ski.
artificial air freshener is toxic!!

#14 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 4707 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

I could be talked into a day trip, but only after church. Easter is too much fun to miss. And I'm committed to provide a ride. But my rider might love to learn to XC ski, after early service! Teacup only, for me. For my first post-surgery ski, I want groomed track.

#15 Sarah Z.

Sarah Z.

Newt

• Red Lizards
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

David,

Have you made arrangements yet for the cabin? How many do we have coming that are going to stay overnight and what dates are we looking to be there? Not backing out, just want more info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users