• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10792 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

In preparation for Stumptown Cross race #3, we need to do some trail work up at the Klock blueberry farm. Can you think of a better way to get intimately acquainted with the trails than to do some maintenance on them? Cutting blackberry vines and other branches and shrubs hanging out into the path and digging out the trail tread so that there is a runnable surface are the major things we need to do.

Oh yeah, we'll be cuttin' things and digging in the dirt - so you might need gloves, a machette, pruners/loppers, shovel, or other tools. But if you don't have any of the above - don't fear, we'll have plenty for you to borrow. Amy said there is a barn full of tools that can be borrowed, so if you are lacking in the tool department, you can still come play.

To make this more appealing as a fun-packed day, we will supply lunch for you! We'll go simple BBQ - so grill up some burgers or dogs and veggie options, but if people want to bring along a side, salad, chips or something to drink, that will make it a party. Plan will be to start trail work at 11 to allow people their morning training run...

- OR -

Join for a Gorge trail run at 9am! And I have one in mind that is just down the road from the farm. Devil's Rest. I suppose you go past Angel's Rest as well, so you get to enjoy the Gorge views from both. It's nearly 3000' of gain over 11 miles, but this is a great lollipop trail loop.

http://gorgefriends.org/display.php?modin=51&uid=4832

Since everyone will want to bring long pants and sleeves and boots (if you have them) for trail work after the run (plus tools), we will plan to meet at the trailhead at 9 versus carpooling there. From there it's a short drive up the hill to Klock Farm. To get to the Angels Rest Trailhead: Head east from Portland on I-84, take Bridal Veil Exit #28. The trailhead is south of the Historic Columbia River Highway, opposite the junction with the interstate access road in Bridal veil.

Plan for Sunday, October 2, 2011:
9am Meet at Angel's rest trailhead for run
9-11 Angel's Rest/Devil's Rest Trail run
11-12 Probably bestto eat before we get busy working
11:30-4 Trail work at Klock Farm (you don't need to stay the whole time, so swing by or stay for whatever period you have available)

Address and directions to Klock Farm can be found on their web site:
http://www.klockfarm.com/

Who feels like joining in for some or all of the fun?

#2 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3907 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:31 PM

Yay....Of course I'm in :D Trail run and trail work.

#3 julz

julz

50k sprinter!

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts
  • Interests:Running, Horses, Rabbits, Kayaking, wine tasting, 80's new wave, yes I'm old

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

I'm in. will have to borrow tools
artificial air freshener is toxic!!

#4 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10792 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:03 AM

I'm in. will have to borrow tools

Glad you'll be able to join us, Julz. So long as you're dressed for work, we will have tools everyone can borrow.

#5 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10792 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:07 AM

Was anyone planning to do the run before the trail maintenance? Just checking in, since I always love a good trail run - but being one week before Portland Marathon, it might make more sense for me to go put in a long run on the roads (yuck) to practice my pace. If there are folks who need the added motivation of the trail run to join, I'm in. But let me know if you have you heart set on the trails, since this boy might need to get his marathon pace dialed in more than enjoying a hilly and scenic trail run :(

#6 TeamKeith

TeamKeith

Iguana

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Anything that has to do with sports and being outside

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:18 AM

I'm in but plan on running between a 8:00 - 8:30 pace and will help will trail prep

#7 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3907 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:35 AM

Yes Torrey, trail run for me too. On those hilly runs my pace will be a 9+. Julz, you in to run with me?

Would be great to have a few more peeps to help out if possible, if need be I can throw in some free blueberries for next year :thumbsup:

Thanks to all who will dedicate some sweat out on the farm.

#8 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3907 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

Torrey, if there aren't going to be to many people wanting to run the trail run, don't worry about it if you need to practice pacing. I can always just run the road from the farm up toward Larch and back for the miles since I am slower than you and Keith anyway. JS.

Or: fb the trail run on trl page and in a different thread, might get more folks to come out? Even if it's just for the trail run.

Maybe make the decision the night before unless others speak up. :flowers:

p.s Everyone can use the shower/bathroom/kitchen at the farm to get cleaned up and eat, etc.

In November, I will actually be moving out there into our daylight apt.

#9 julz

julz

50k sprinter!

• Red Lizards
  • 1511 posts
  • Interests:Running, Horses, Rabbits, Kayaking, wine tasting, 80's new wave, yes I'm old

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

Plannin on the run so far, I'm goin to a concert the night before, therefore may be at risk for over sleeping, but should make the trail work at least.

#10 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3907 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

Plannin on the run so far, I'm goin to a concert the night before, therefore may be at risk for over sleeping, but should make the trail work at least.

Ok! Sweet then. It really would be fun to have a running partner cause Torrey will leave me in the dust. Well, actually you would too, but if you have a late night, then that would be my excuse to keep up :thumbsup:

#11 markiemo

markiemo

Director of Group Runs

• Board Members
  • 3646 posts
  • Interests:Trail running, biking, hanging with reptiles, camping, traveling,
    beach bumming, enjoying the endless string of Saturdays...

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

Don't be surprised if I show up with a shovel in the afternoon.

I'll run on my own before though.

#12 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10792 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

I really am thinking that I may skip the trail run myself and just show up bringing lunch supplies and ready for trail work at 11am. My 1 week marathon pacer training runs start tomorrow (after my morning alumni XC race). But as soon as I finish that, it's time to cool down at marathon pace, and then dial it in all week long. Pretty sure that trying to hold 7:03 pace up Devil's Rest would be a challenge ;)

#13 TeamKeith

TeamKeith

Iguana

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Anything that has to do with sports and being outside

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

Amy if no one is gonna do the Sunday trail run lets go run the Sunday run in portland maybe

#14 julz

julz

50k sprinter!

• Red Lizards
  • 1511 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:36 AM

running in Portland rather than Devil's rest? especially if you're going to be near? I'm goin up either 9am, or if i oversleep then after trail work I'll go up and watch the sunset. I'll do my best to not over sleep, i'm still recovering from the 50k and over 40, so will be a game day decision. if no one want's to do the run, I have no problems doin this solo.

#15 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3907 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

Amy if no one is gonna do the Sunday trail run lets go run the Sunday run in portland maybe

Ok Keith it's a deal!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users