• Please log in to reply
578 replies to this topic

#46 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10793 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

Doug - you probably loved the movie "Singles" as well, didn't you? I know I was a fan - hard to beat a movie with a band based on Mudhoney in it - and how can you beat the single "Touch Me I'm Dick"? happy.png

For a better documentary (IMHO), you should try to find the documentary about Portland's early 90's music scene - "X Ray Visions." It's about the music scene surrounding the X-Ray Cafe that used to be on Burnside - one of my favorite venues to catch music back in the day. Some great Portland alternative-to-grunge bands in the film (Pond, Sprinkler, Hazel, Heatmiser, etc). You should try to find it and check it out.

#47 BadAss

BadAss

Badass

• Red Lizards
  • 3324 posts
  • Interests:Depends on cash or credit

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Torrey @ Jan 8 2008, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doug - you probably loved the movie "Singles" as well, didn't you? I know I was a fan - hard to beat a movie with a band based on Mudhoney in it - and how can you beat the single "Touch Me I'm Dick"? happy.png

For a better documentary (IMHO), you should try to find the documentary about Portland's early 90's music scene - "X Ray Visions." It's about the music scene surrounding the X-Ray Cafe that used to be on Burnside - one of my favorite venues to catch music back in the day. Some great Portland alternative-to-grunge bands in the film (Pond, Sprinkler, Hazel, Heatmiser, etc). You should try to find it and check it out.

You never cease to amaze!
"Break me a f**k'in give."
-Yoda-

#48 Doug

Doug

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Members
  • 7221 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Torrey @ Jan 8 2008, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I loved Singles...Excellent music in it...And sense of humor is good in it, too.

I'll have to try and find the movie you're talking about and check it out.

#49 Clover

Clover

Reptile dysfunction

• Red Lizards
  • 4823 posts
  • Interests:5.25% and falling.

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

Wow . . . at one point in my life (that would be sophomore year in college), I knew every word of the dialogue in "Singles."

"You've made POPCORN with everyone in Seattle."

"Steve . . . don't come now."

"I think your thing is not having a thing."

"Why aren't you signed up for the 401k?"

"I'd never be able to run that far."

--Scott Adams, Dilbert

#50 Doug

Doug

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Members
  • 7221 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:58 PM

"My dad left home when I was eight. You know what he said to me? Have fun, stay single. I was eight."

#51 Clover

Clover

Reptile dysfunction

• Red Lizards
  • 4823 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

"...and then Spam comes out!"

--Scott Adams, Dilbert

#52 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10383 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

I saw an incredible movie today: "Runnin' Down a Dream: Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers", a documentary directed by Peter Bogdanovich. It covered their entire career (so far) with great interviews and concert footage. It was the longest movie I've ever seen (253 minutes, with an intermission), but without a wasted moment or a weak song. In addition to The Heartbreakers' performances, some of Petty's early influences were also featured, including vintage video of Bo Diddley, and The Kinks performing "You Really Got Me" in 1964. Among the interviewees was some Tom Petty fan named Eddie Vedder (anybody ever heard of this guy?) wink.gif
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#53 Doug

Doug

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Members
  • 7221 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (Joe D. @ Jan 19 2008, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw an incredible movie today: "Runnin' Down a Dream: Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers", a documentary directed by Peter Bogdanovich. It covered their entire career (so far) with great interviews and concert footage. It was the longest movie I've ever seen (253 minutes, with an intermission), but without a wasted moment or a weak song. In addition to The Heartbreakers' performances, some of Petty's early influences were also featured, including vintage video of Bo Diddley, and The Kinks performing "You Really Got Me" in 1964. Among the interviewees was some Tom Petty fan named Eddie Vedder (anybody ever heard of this guy?) wink.gif

Hey, you got my attention... rolleyes.gif tongue.png

I had a lot of fun seeing Pearl Jam play at the Gorge Amphitheater in 2005 because they played the night before Tom Petty played for a two night run there.

It was funny because Eddie kept trying to get Tom to come out and play a few songs with them...It just showed what a great sense of humor Eddie has and he has a good taste in music, too...But at the beginning of the first encore Eddie came out and did a GREAT solo version of I Won't Back Down.

#54 Doug

Doug

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Members
  • 7221 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:16 AM

"Hello Tom...Come Down Tom."
Eddie Vedder during a performance at the gorge 9/1/05

#55 Clover

Clover

Reptile dysfunction

• Red Lizards
  • 4823 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (Doug @ Jan 20 2008, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Hello Tom...Come Down Tom."
Eddie Vedder during a performance at the gorge 9/1/05

"Ground control to Major Tom."

Oh . . . wrong artist. Wrong genre. Wrong era. Just plain wrong.

--Scott Adams, Dilbert

#56 Doug

Doug

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Members
  • 7221 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:04 PM

Dudeman...Look what you started with this Tom Petty thing!!! tongue.png rolleyes.gif

"If Tom Petty were my father my name would be Eddie Petty."
Eddie Vedder

#57 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10383 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:16 PM

"What I love about Tom Petty is that he was so hard to get a hold of. He was like a fish slipping out of your hands. Like wait a second is he...they're a rock band, right? Yeah, but they wear those skinny ties...they're not new wave are they? But he kind of screams like a punk sometimes. A blues band? You couldn't really tell because their range was so wide and the songwriting was so unique. I can't think of any band that sounds like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. He's just a bad ass. All of us loved him"
- Dave Grohl

"I waited in line. I skipped class and waited in line, brought the record home at lunch, learned the song "The Waiting", and went back to school with it in my head. Then I was playing it by the time I went home."
- Eddie Vedder

#58 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:16 AM

I woke up this morning at 3:30 (I think yawn.gif )(BTW: I was not running down a dream)
and turned on the TV (OPB), just as Tom Petty and the band were
walking off stage. I think the show was Sound Stage or maybe
Center Stage, I'd have to look it up.
A lot of times, these shows will be repeated. Maybe I can catch
it at a later showing.

Joe, is the show you saw on Saturday, going to play again
or was a one time only thing?

Marathon training skulker

#59 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10383 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (BrianH @ Jan 21 2008, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I woke up this morning at 3:30 (I think yawn.gif )(BTW: I was not running down a dream)
and turned on the TV (OPB), just as Tom Petty and the band were
walking off stage. I think the show was Sound Stage or maybe
Center Stage, I'd have to look it up.
A lot of times, these shows will be repeated. Maybe I can catch
it at a later showing.

Joe, is the show you saw on Saturday, going to play again
or was a one time only thing?

"I woke up in between
a memory and a dream"
- Tom Petty

It was part of the NW Film Center's "Reel Music" series of music related films, and they were only showing it that one time, but I don't know when or if it will be shown elsewhere. Hopefully, others will get a chance to see it sometime soon. I'm sure it will come out on DVD at some point. I also got a companion book from the library (same title as the movie).

Movie, book, PBS appearance, and half-time show at the Super Bowl*: I guess Tom Petty has finally decided to take over the world once and for all! cool.gif

*I like the guy, but please Tom, I'm begging you, no wardrobe malfunctions! pinch.png sick.png

#60 Doug

Doug

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Members
  • 7221 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

"Tom Petty would never do that! He's a proffessional...Who practices!"
Eddie Vedder, 9/1/05, after he messed up the beginning of Betterman

1 user(s) are reading this topic