#1 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8104 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

Some of you know that Im spending the next 5-6 weeks with the NAZ Elite professional running team here in Flagstaff. I arrived 10 days ago and up until yesterday, Ive just been doing easy distance runs, trying to adjust to the altitude. Surprisingly, Ive been averaging between 8:00-8:38/mile pace for runs from 5-10 miles, which isnt as far off what Id run back at sea level. In fact, the wind out here has seemed to affect me more than the thin air, except when Im climbing a decent hill. Then I can quickly feel the difference.

Last night, I tried my first foray into harder running. A group called Team Run Flagstaff has open track workouts every Tuesday night, at NAUs outdoor (blue!) track. I observed their workout last week and jumped in this week. They get tons of runners, of all abilities, out there! One interesting thing they do is to run all their intervals by TIME, not distance.

Last nights workout consisted on three sets. The first two sets were: 4 minutes at Threshold pace, 3 minutes at 5k pace, 2 minutes at Mile pace. One minute recovery between all reps, four minute recovery between sets. The third/last set was 3 minutes at Threshold, 2 minutes at 5k, 1 minute at Mile.

The interesting thing I noticed was that on the longest reps at Threshold pace, I felt fine throughout the whole rep (I was running ~6:50/mile pace). But the reps at 5k and Mile pace, I felt okay until about 20 seconds left in each, and then things suddenly got hard. It will be interesting to see how much, if at all, this will improve over the weeks Im here.

Just thought Id share. If anyone has had experience training at altitude and would like to share their experiences, Id love to hear about them. Thanks!

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#2 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8104 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:22 AM

Hmm, apparently when I type entries onto the message board from my iPad, it doesn’t recognize apostrophes...

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#3 andicamp

andicamp

showing my colors

• Red Lizards
  • 3485 posts
  • Interests:yes

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

Last month I spent 2-1/2 weeks in Bogota, Colombia for work. Elevation 8600'! Yikes!

The first few days were pretty hard, even just getting out for a 5-6 mile jog (like I was running really slowly AND I had to take little breaks every couple of miles), but I did notice slight improvements day by day. I was feeling at least decent after 5 or 6 days. About ten days in, I had a terrific run, and in general I felt pretty adjusted from then on.

Because of my work schedule, I settled into a (weekday) pattern of getting up at 5:30 am for a 5 mile run outside, and then on Tuesdays and Thursdays I'd do a second run of 3-4 miles on the treadmill before dinner. I'd use those treadmill runs to get very small workouts in. And then, instead of trying to do an actual long run on the weekend, I'd do "longer" runs on both weekend days, like 8 or 9 miles each day. So basically I never had any single runs that were particularly long or hard. I did that because my fitness is looooowww, and also to manage the extra stress of the altitude.

I've been back for 2-1/2 weeks now, and my legs still can't keep up with my new and improved lungs. It's kind of funny because back in January I started doing some work on my injuries that resulting in my stride mechanics getting significantly better in a short period of time, so from then until I went to Colombia, it was my lungs that couldn't keep up my legs! :)  I'm hoping to get everyone on the same page one of these days.

2010 mileage: 2929
2009 mileage: 2875
2008 mileage: 2436.5
2007 mileage: 2254.5
2010 prs/races: 1/7
2009 prs/races: 15/18
2008 prs/races: 12/17
2007 prs/races: 9/11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users