#1 Clarence

Clarence

Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:I like joggin'

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:22 AM

I will be in Hood River/Portland for the first 2-3 weeks in August. I will have my road bike and doing a few long rides as I prep for IM Canada on August 27 (H2C weekend).

Is there anyone (G.O.? Joe Tysoe? Brad Cota? Peter Reid?) who wants to do some longer rides? I'll be doing a variety of distances from 40 - 100 miles. If anyone wants to ride less mileage, I'd be happy to tag along for your distance, then just plug along further afterward. Are there any regularly scheduled group rides? Also, if anyone plans any open water swims, I'd be happy to join in.

Basically, I am taking the worst possible time to interrupt my training for 2-3 weeks, so if there is anyone who will be cycling or swimming (I know where to find the runners), I would love to hook up for some joint training sessions.

Note: Understanding this is a long way out to schedule specific dates/rides, I am rather looking for a general idea of those who may be interested in this type of training in early August. No commitments required.

Clarence
San Diego
619-955-0666

czachow at yahoo . com
Clarence Zachow
Laces Running Company
San Diego, CA

#2 D.J.

D.J.

Salamander

• Red Lizards
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

I may be able to manage a century in August. It's a good goal to work towards. The gorge 1/2 iron man course had a nice climb to coopers spur I think, the ride could include that.

#3 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:53 AM

Yo - C-Dog.

Hey - what ever happened to RUNNING man?!

If you want to do a nice out and back 20 miler from Hood River to Mosier on closed Gorge highway, say the word.

It would be fun to see you!

Hope your training is going well.

#4 NextLizard_Joe T._*

NextLizard_Joe T._*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (Win Goodbody @ Jun 16 2006, 10:53 AM)
Hey - what ever happened to RUNNING man?!

I've heard that there is a marathon that follows the 112mi of biking in the ironman... weirdness.

#5 NextLizard_Joe T._*

NextLizard_Joe T._*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (Clarence @ Jun 16 2006, 09:22 AM)
Is there anyone (G.O.?  Joe Tysoe?  Brad Cota?  Peter Reid?) who wants to do some longer rides?  I'll be doing a variety of distances from 40 - 100 miles. 

Doode!

Of course I'm down with riding... I have some calendar items that might restrict me here and there, but in general I'm riding pretty much everyday currently; plus the Eugene Celebration stage race is end of Aug/early Sep and that will be my rookie attempt at stage racing..

So, yeah, let's dialogue; I've got a half-iron on the calendar for end of October, so rides of 40 mi + that month are perfect.

With regard to the swimming, well, I just wear floaties under the wetsuit, makes my biceps look normal size (vs. concave) and I don't have to worry about really ever practicing.

jtysoe at gmail dot com

#6 Clarence

Clarence

Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:14 PM

My plans have changed slightly. I won't be bringing my bike up so I will need to rent a bike for various days of riding (I know, the perfect training plan 3 weeks out from Ironman). So, does anyone know of any shops in PDX who rent road bikes? I have an email in to Bike Gallery.

Joe: I'll touch base with you ("base" being a euphemism for... well, you know what for). I'd like to get in both shorter and longer rides, so we can see what fits into your schedule and I can make it work for mine.

DJ: Absolutely. I'll be working hills on the bike for Canada, so a trip up to Cooper's Spur would be excellent. Also, DJ, are you still doing open water swims out at Hagg Lake? If so, I wouldn't mind tagging along for a few.

Win: A long run along the Old Gorge Hwy would be loooovely! As for my running, I am planning my return to marathon form -- following my 2004 crapola performance that I like to call the "anarchy in Austin" -- with some races in 2007. After IM, I'm switching back to a running focus with the lofty goal of a PR at the ripe, old age of 44.
Clarence Zachow
Laces Running Company
San Diego, CA

#7 kristina

kristina

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Running, biking, swimming, well not really swimming.... Jesus & fast motorcycles!

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (Clarence @ Jun 18 2006, 08:14 PM)
My plans have changed slightly.  I won't be bringing my bike up so I will need to rent a bike for various days of riding (I know, the perfect training plan 3 weeks out from Ironman).  So, does anyone know of any shops in PDX who rent road bikes?  I have an email in to Bike Gallery.
Joe:  I'll touch base with you ("base" being a euphemism for... well, you know what for).  I'd like to get in both shorter and longer rides, so we can see what fits into your schedule and I can make it work for mine.

DJ: Absolutely.  I'll be working hills on the bike for Canada, so a trip up to Cooper's Spur would be excellent.  Also, DJ, are you still doing open water swims out at Hagg Lake?  If so, I wouldn't mind tagging along for a few.

Win:  A long run along the Old Gorge Hwy would be loooovely!  As for my running, I am planning my return to marathon form -- following my 2004 crapola performance that I like to call the "anarchy in Austin" -- with some races in 2007.  After IM, I'm switching back to a running focus with the lofty goal of a PR at the ripe, old age of 44.

Hey You can rent my old bike"-) if you agree to ride on the slower side. I can ride for all day, but not real fast:-(
Anyway something to think about, I will email you more about it.
want to know a little more about what Compassion First is up too?
http://www.compassio...ti-trafficking/

#8 Clarence

Clarence

Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

First, let me say "Thank You" to DJ and Kris for going the extra mile in hooking me up with training equipment and group workouts for my intended visit. Also, thanks to Joe, Brad, Win, Mollie, Kim and Patty for offers of training with me.

As it stands now, however, I have decided to cancel my trip to the Northwest in August. Taking two weeks to vacation at the most intense portion of my Ironman training became too big of an obstacle for my goals. No, I have zero shot at qualifying for the Big Show, but I do have a tasty, little competition going between myself and a former club member now residing in the San Juans.

Some of you old-timers may recall Paul Hopkins. Paul is the elder brother of Erik with whom I also made a bet during the 2001 Boston Marathon. That wager resulted in Erik wearing a dress in public while performing magic tricks at Portland's Saturday market. This year, I fully intend to spread the humiliation evenly among the Brothers Hopkins. My only dilemma is that I have yet to best Paul in a triathlon, any triathlon, from Sprint to IM distance. Hence, my need to remain focused during the weeks leading to the race.

As per usual, if any Lizards find themselves in sunny San Diego, please feel welcome to look me up. Generally we have plenty of room to share and we are only 20-minutes from downtown.

Thanks again to all those with offers of assistance!

Clarence
Clarence Zachow
Laces Running Company
San Diego, CA

#9 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:54 PM

Clarence,

Sorry we won't see you up here but good luck with your training! Keep us posted as it gets closer to the date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users