20 replies to this topic

#16 SusanB

SusanB

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:26 PM

Thanks guys.  Yes, the run was my weakest event.  I got a side/stomach cramp at mile 3 and then was trying to manage it the rest of the marathon.  Every time I would take a drink or try to run faster than 9 min pace it would come back and I'd have to walk.  My original goal was to run 8:30s for the first 10 miles and then if feeling okay pick it up to 8:15's for the next 10, and then use whatever was left for the last 10k.  Not sure if I could have fully executed the plan, but the stomach stuff shut the run down long before my legs did.  I was pretty happy with the swim, very happy with the bike, and disappointed with the run.  But overall it was a good first IM experience.  Tim told me to remember "CFM" throughout the race "continuous forward motion" and I actually did focus on that for almost the whole run.  An awesome mantra.  The other I kept remembering was "minimize your losses when it gets tough".  Those two thoughts and having my family and Tim and Lisa ALL OVER the course kept me going. 

#17 Tgirl

Tgirl

jill of all (running) trades

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4215 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:49 PM

I wonder how much lower triathlon total times would be if the run was the second thing and then the bike.

I think the results would be fastest if they reversed the order, I.e. Run, bike, and then swim. The obvious reason not to do the tri in my proposed order would be that people would drown if the swim was last.
"The real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgivable, is the violence that we do to ourselves when we're too afraid to be who we really are." Lana Wachowski.

#18 DJ DeAustria

DJ DeAustria

Salamander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Thai Massage, massage, Ironman, Triathlon, swimming, biking, running,

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:22 AM

I think the results would be fastest if they reversed the order, I.e. Run, bike, and then swim. The obvious reason not to do the tri in my proposed order would be that people would drown if the swim was last.

The DNF rate would be huge!   people would simply die.  crashes on the bike would be horrific, Triathletes aren't very good cyclist in general.  Drowning would be a huge problem.  One general rule in training is not to swim with in 3 hours after biking or running, most cramp up if they do. 

#19 DJ DeAustria

DJ DeAustria

Salamander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Thai Massage, massage, Ironman, Triathlon, swimming, biking, running,

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:39 AM

Since Susan is Susan I won't gush too much but she had an incredible season, and training year.  I was super happy to be able to sight her on the course  I never caught her, of course.  It's hard to have flawless race, but she didn't let any issues,  stop her from having a great IM debut. 

Ironman is such a fun process and the race itself is so rewarding, but it's  the training that keeps and athlete balanced and healthy.    

I can think of 3 TRL's  I've raced  Ironman with,   and I've been beat each time.   Dan Silvernail  2001, Paul Curran, 2002, 2003  and Susan 2014,   2003 was a disaster for both me and Paul( to date was our worst times)   but the other were respectable.   Dan was the Overall Male winner in 2001 at the Bigfoot.   Paul in 2002 earned a slot to Kona with  a top 10 age group finish,  Susan was in the top 10 too.  

Not to diminish Pauls accomplishment,  it  is generally accepted  that it was easier to get to Kona 10 years ago since there were fewer races so more slots at each race. 

#20 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10790 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:25 PM

For those who want a full recap from Susan, check out the issue of the Gazette that should start arriving in mailboxes everywhere on Christmas Eve.  It will be like Susan Claus making a special appearance!

#21 kakaronaldo

kakaronaldo

Newt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:46 AM

you have done a great job .....better luck for next times

Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users