Photo

Track Workouts from 2008 - present (ongoing thread)

• Please log in to reply
624 replies to this topic

#616 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5734 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:01 PM

I haven't posted here for a couple weeks because we were doing Billats again, and again, and most people knew it.

We have now done 4 cycles of Billats. I propose 2 options.

4-? x 1000 (400) @L

0-5 x 200 (200) @S)

This time, those of you who like 200s might save energy for them. We did a bunch of short intervals during the summer of heat/smoke, but not for a while.

The 1000s will give you a sense of what the Billats did for your overall pace. Though some of you know, because you did well at Lents!

The other option, for those who missed a session of Billats and want to give it another go is to do them on your own. I won't be blowing whistle this week. If timing yourself every 30 sec is a pain, you can do something similar with modified Pre's 200s. We did that once before. The modification is to ignore the blazing-fast pace he ran. You're not Pre, I hate to tell you! Instead, follow the formula he used.

Specifically, do the fast 200 at about the pace you did the fast segment of the Billats. Maybe a touch faster. Pre did it slightly slower than his mile race pace.

Then, do the slower segment either 1/3 slower. Pre's 40-sec 200s would have been slower than marathon pace for him, if he'd ever run a marathon.

If that seems to slow (and for some people it probably is, you can do the slower segments 10-12 sec slower that the fast ones. A lot of this depends on how fast you run the fast ones. You can do the fast ones at 3K pace, too.

#617 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5734 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:42 PM

Today's workout will be a favorite cross-country peaking workout.

6 x 600/200 @ L/S (400)

I.e. you'll run the first 600 at L pace, then finish fast. (You won't really hit S pace; just speed up).

For those who don't want to do this, just do

6 x 800 @ M (400)

High mileage runners can add extra repeats.

#618 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:47 PM

Glorious fall continues, though it will get a bit chilly by the time we finish at Duniway, so bring your warmups. Playing cards, prizes, Kind Bars, and a few other things may reappear this week. My trunk is full, and it's dry enough to spread out on the picnic table.

Workouts will have 3 options:

1. 5-? x 800/200 (400) @ L/S. Not that the 200 finish will truly hit S pace. This is the same thing as last week, but a bit longer. Target race is Pier Park, though you have four days to recover for Fernhill, so it should work for that, too.

2. 3-6 x 1 mile (400) @ L. For those wanting to go long. Theresa will be doing these and would love company.

3. 8-10 x 400 (400) @ S. For those wanting something completely different. Lotsa options.

#619 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5734 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 12:30 PM

Today's workout is 1200s and 200s. I.e.,

3-? x 1200 (400) @ L
6 x 200 (200) @ S

Other workouts will be available on an on-request or as-needed basis.

#620 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5734 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:04 PM

It's the night before Halloween. So we should do something scary.

But we won't.. :wink:

We won't even make it too tough, since the last xc race is in four days. Instead, we'll do

7-10 x 500 (1 min) @ L.

How many depends on your mileage, but you should do slightly fewer than you'd do without the race. Note, this does not mean fewer and faster. We'll discuss the exact number on site.

For people not running on Saturday, or training through it toward a longer race, later on, we'll have an alternative workout. At least one group will be doing miles.

#621 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5734 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:01 PM

Another beautiful fall day!

We will have a couple of options going. The main workout will be

12-16 x 400 in groups on "50 percent" recoveries. I will explain on site for those who haven't don this.

Some people will instead do some of the 400s on longer recoveries, faster.

There will also be someone running 5 x 1 miles, and someone doing 800s and 400s, for those who want to join in.

But the 400s in groups are the main event.

Also note: Saturday on the Grass has been moved to Sellwood to avoid a conflict with Kevin's Cup

#622 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5734 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:57 PM

Today's track workout will be the dreaded (and sometimes loved) whistle workout. I don't think we've done one this year, but this is a good time for it. The idea is simple:

I blow the whistle once, you run L pace.
I blow it twice, you recover.
I blow it 3 times, the workout is over.

You will not know in advance the duration of the L pace bouts or the recoveries. This is a mental toughness exercise. Most of you do well at it.

I do promise certain parameters:

1. The total time will be no more than about 32-35 minutes.
2. There will be 18-22 minutes of L pace, total.
3. No single L-pace bout will exceed 5 minutes. I usually say they won't exceed 6 minutes, but I've never exceeded 5 minutes in the history of this, so I'll let you know now that the "not to exceed 6 minutes" was just to keep you from trying to guess.
4. The first one will be long enough for you to take a split at 400m.
5. There will be cones every 100m, so you can take whatever splits you want to during other repeats, no matter where they start.

If you don't want to do that, you can do
5-? x 1000 (400) @ L

#623 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5734 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:18 PM

I failed to get last week's workout posted. My bad. It was 6 x 800 cutdowns. Start at about 10K pace on a fairly short recovery (like 200m), and finish fairly fast (but not a flat-out time trial) on 400m recoveries.

#624 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5734 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:19 PM

This week's workout:

We will have two workouts.

3-? x 1600 (400) @ L

or

12-? x 400 (200) @ L

#625 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5734 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:28 PM

Today's workout will be 6-? x 800 (200) @ L.

Something fairly simple and quick, if it's raining. See you there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users