Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:I like joggin'

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:15 AM

Found on the Road Runner Sports website (a running store I frequent):

Men's Running Shorts:

When you think, "Running Shorts,” do you picture your Dad or some other older gentleman running down the road in short shorts with big splits on the side flapping about? It's true that we still sell those Go Getter shorts, but we also offer a variety of others styles that will suit every body type and performance goal. Running shorts should move with your body as well as make a statement. Do you want to make an "I am a runner" statement or simply a "yes, I run but you can't tell by my shorts" statement?

Okay, let’s face it; I am middle-aged. I know that, and I’m good with that. I turned 44 last month. I watched Prefontaine at Hayward Field in ‘73 and ‘74. I read the Jim Fixx book at 16. I raced in waffles. I’m old school. For me, that means I run in split-side shorts.

Nevertheless, this ad has me thinking. What is the consensus out there? Are split-side shorts still the fashion of choice if one has the legs and speed to pull it off, or are split-sides the running equivalent of Bell-bottoms and a really bad comb-over?
Clarence Zachow
Laces Running Company
San Diego, CA

#2 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3728 posts
  • Interests:Once in a while I like to go running.<br /><br />Usually I'm just in it for the beer!

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:33 AM

Well, I am of a younger generation (but not necessarily too fashionable) but I think there is nothing wrong with the split sides if, like you say, you have the legs and speed to "pull it off". I would also add that the weather has to be right. Wearing those babies when it is 40 degrees out (except if racing) might be a bit over the top. But remember too, that this is coming from a runner. I think the real question is what do all the non-runners cruising by in their cars think of the split side short???

#3 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10790 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:35 AM

I have a hunch Road Runner is trying to appeal to the "new runner" out there. You know, the same ones that Runner's World is geared towards. I certainly don't consider myself "old school," but it's probably been 15 years since I've worn anything but split shorts. Yet I definitely recall my pre-collegiate running years, where splits were way too risque (except when we needed to wear our "tarzan" shorts for track meets grin.png )

In fact, I probably wear split shorty-shorts even at times I should opt for a slightly longer or square cut short. I'm usually the only guy wearing them when we're out running around some mountain - but who wants tan lines half way down their leg??? tongue.gif

#4 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

Running is serious business.

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2982 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:38 AM

I used to be a non-runner. Back then I questioned the sexual orientation of guys that wore split shorts. That might sound harsh, but that's the absolute truth.

Nowadays, split shorts are my running shorts of choice. I even wear the women's split shorts. I wear them year round - yes, even in the winter. Split shorts are hardcore. Split shorts are badass. But yes, if you're wearing split short, to certain people you are making a statement - and you better be able to back it up.

#5 Mike

Mike

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:22 AM

Back in the day...

Only girls would wear split-side shorts.

And the guys would call them Catch-Me-F*ck-Me's.

But like I said, that was back in the day.

#6 Steve

Steve

Qatar Flange

• Red Lizards
  • 2950 posts
  • Interests:Orienteering, Running, Geocaching, all the usual backpacking/camping/hiking/climbing stuff

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:47 AM

Interesting topic. I've actually been considering getting a pair of split shorts. The last pair I had was neon-yellow, about 15 years ago. You won't catch me in that color again, but the pair of square shorts I wear now are starting to look dorky to me, so I may get crazy with my next purchase. I'm pretty secure in my sexuality, so that's not an issue. And what better way to show off my mid-thigh tan line!
Life is short and we have not too much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel the way with us.
Oh, be swift to love. Make haste to be kind.
- Henri Frederic Amiel

#7 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • 2574 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:03 AM

Split shorts are definitely the way to go, though it's true you may attract attention.

I was walking around in Tillamook last weekend after a run with some on, and like three monster trucks whistled at me in passing. Those are the guys Albert used to be I guess...

It's always funny to see people running in those knee length gangsta duds. To me those look ridicuous - and can't be all that comfortable either. But I've never tried them.

"Tight is right".

#8 kelbelle

kelbelle

http://blog.oregonlive.com/runoregon

• Red Lizards
  • 4802 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:05 AM

If a guy is running, he can wear whatever he wants. Generally runners have pretty strong legs that look good in those shorts. As long as nothing else is bouncing around.

That being said, yes neon yellow shorts (Steve), neon pink shorts (CopKiller) or shorts so old they're becoming transparent should be thrown away.
Dear runners: come to a group run, say hi to us at a race, or just post on the message board!

Check out our group run, race calendars, and news on local running on the <a href="http://blog.oregonli....com/runoregon" target="_blank">RunOregon Blog</a> by me, Joe Dudman, Jim Mattern, Marianne Jones, Marya Van Metre, Jen Sotolongo, and Jonathan Marcus.

<a href="http://www.facebook.....com/runoregon" target="_blank">Check out RunOregon on facebook.</a>

#9 BadAss

BadAss

Badass

• Red Lizards
  • 3324 posts
  • Interests:Depends on cash or credit

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:17 AM

Nevertheless, this ad has me thinking. What is the consensus out there? Are split-side shorts still the fashion of choice if one has the legs and speed to pull it off, or are split-sides the running equivalent of Bell-bottoms and a really bad comb-over?

[/quote]

All depends on where the "split" is, I guess...
"Break me a f**k'in give."
-Yoda-

#10 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

Running is serious business.

• Red Lizards
  • 2982 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (kelbelle @ Jul 7 2006, 11:05 AM)
That being said, yes neon yellow shorts (Steve), neon pink shorts (CopKiller) or shorts so old they're becoming transparent should be thrown away.

I would wear pink split shorts just to fvck with people. And then say, "How does it feel to get your ass beat in a race by a guy wearing pink split shorts?"

#11 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10381 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:45 PM

Hey, bright yellow non-split shorts rock!! tongue.gif

"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#12 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10790 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:06 PM

I don't know, Joe. From the photos, it looks like the non-split shorts might be inhibiting your stride a bit... huh.gif Perhaps we should check to see if your apparent improvement with age is really due in part to wearing your red split shorts this past year grin.png

#13 Clarence

Clarence

Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:I like joggin'

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:07 PM

I imagine the fact that, along with split-sides, I also shave my legs probably has me pegged as a man either secure in his sexuality, one who has no sense of style whatsoever, or possibly just a sign I am a total dork. Though I like to think it is option #1, I fear it is more likely option #3.

Like Steve (and Joe), I also owned a pair of neon yellow split-sides about fifteen years ago. However, like the powder-blue suspenders I wore in 1982, I am not so secure in myself as to ride that bandwagon again.
Clarence Zachow
Laces Running Company
San Diego, CA

#14 kelbelle

kelbelle

http://blog.oregonlive.com/runoregon

• Red Lizards
  • 4802 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:03 PM

Joe that is not neon.
Dear runners: come to a group run, say hi to us at a race, or just post on the message board!

Check out our group run, race calendars, and news on local running on the <a href="http://blog.oregonli....com/runoregon" target="_blank">RunOregon Blog</a> by me, Joe Dudman, Jim Mattern, Marianne Jones, Marya Van Metre, Jen Sotolongo, and Jonathan Marcus.

<a href="http://www.facebook.....com/runoregon" target="_blank">Check out RunOregon on facebook.</a>

#15 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10381 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (kelbelle @ Jul 7 2006, 04:03 PM)
Joe that is not neon.

So they pass the Kelbelle test? happy.gif
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users