• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5646 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

Each year, TRL collects used shoes for the needy. We are the largest contributor of footwear for Operation Nightwatch, which has been distributing shoes to the homeless for many years--and we are now giving some of the shoes to a food bank, which distributes the smaller sizes to kids. We are also giving dress shoes to the Portland Rescue Mission, where they wind up on the feet of people seeking jobs.

Our record, set last year, is 410 pairs, up from 268, the year before. At the moment, Aug 4 , we are at 242 pairs for 2018.

What's needed are wearable shoes. That's different from "runnable shoes." After your favorites have lived out their lives on the roads or trails, they still have hundreds of miles of walking in them, and there are people for whom that is an enormous blessing. Furthermore, they don't have to running shoes. Any comfortable walking footwear works.

If you want to contribute, bring your used footwear to me at any track workout, race, or First Friday, or arrange for me to collect it by any other means. Don't worry if they're a bit (or more than a bit) muddy. Also, your definition of "worn out" isn't most people's. In more than 1000 donations over the years, I've only rejected one pair as too worn, and in that case, the sole fell off when I poked at it. We now even have uses for soccer cleats and spikes, if they are still usable for sports.

Rick

#2 TDG

TDG

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Hey Rick, how about socks?  

#3 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5646 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:23 PM

Another 20 came in in May. I'll be at First Friday, then at Special Olympics. I cleared out space in my car, and this year, my hip replacement allows me to carry them. So bring 'em on!

#4 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5646 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:04 PM

We got 25 shoes at Special Olympics. Now delivered. That upped the YTD total significantly. Thanks! I collected 7 bags from 7 different people.

In addition to Duniway, the next place you can catch me is Portland Track Festival.

#5 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5646 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:32 PM

nine more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users