• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5696 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

Each year, TRL collects used shoes for the needy. We are the largest contributor of footwear for Operation Nightwatch, which has been distributing shoes to the homeless for many years--and we are now giving some of the shoes to a food bank, which distributes the smaller sizes to kids. We are also giving dress shoes to the Portland Rescue Mission, where they wind up on the feet of people seeking jobs.

Our record, set last year, WAS 410 pairs, up from 268, the year before. Note the world WAS! At the moment, Oct 13, we are at 419 pairs for 2018.

What's needed are wearable shoes. That's different from "runnable shoes." After your favorites have lived out their lives on the roads or trails, they still have hundreds of miles of walking in them, and there are people for whom that is an enormous blessing. Furthermore, they don't have to running shoes. Any comfortable walking footwear works.

If you want to contribute, bring your used footwear to me at any track workout, race, or First Friday, or arrange for me to collect it by any other means. Don't worry if they're a bit (or more than a bit) muddy. Also, your definition of "worn out" isn't most people's. In more than 1000 donations over the years, I've only rejected one pair as too worn, and in that case, the sole fell off when I poked at it. We now even have uses for soccer cleats and spikes, if they are still usable for sports.

Rick

#2 TDG

TDG

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Hey Rick, how about socks?  

#3 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:05 PM

22 more pairs at Friday and Saturday workouts. Hurrah fall. As always, keep them coming. Fall is generally our big season.

#4 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 05:22 PM

And another 14 pairs on Tuesday. I will be collecting more at Lents. If you don't find me, I'll try to find a box to leave at registration.

#5 andicamp

andicamp

showing my colors

• Red Lizards
  • 3485 posts
  • Interests:yes

Posted 27 September 2018 - 08:54 PM

I have maybe 7 or 8 pairs of shoes for you, Rick. I'll try to swing by a Friday workout sometime in the next few weeks to drop them off.

2010 mileage: 2929
2009 mileage: 2875
2008 mileage: 2436.5
2007 mileage: 2254.5
2010 prs/races: 1/7
2009 prs/races: 15/18
2008 prs/races: 12/17
2007 prs/races: 9/11

#6 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:27 AM

I have maybe 7 or 8 pairs of shoes for you, Rick. I'll try to swing by a Friday workout sometime in the next few weeks to drop them off.

Great!

#7 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:50 PM

The shoes have been flying in. After I posted yesterday, I got another 11 the same day. So the weekly total is now 32, and there's still First Friday!

#8 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:50 PM

And another 3. Closing in....

#9 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 05:55 PM

We got 27 today at Stumptown. We have now surpassed last year's record, with 2 1/2 months remaining. Let's see if we can break 500!

#10 pdxrunr

pdxrunr

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:09 AM

Rick, I have several pairs to turn in.  Any chance you would be willing to stop by SBUX on Sunday around 10 a.m.?  I will also encourage others to bring more!

Thanks,

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users