Photo

Track Workouts from 2008 - present (ongoing thread)

• Please log in to reply
617 replies to this topic

#571 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5696 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

With the local cross-country season over, we will only have two workout this week. Also, come prepared to tell me what your goals re in the next 3-4 months.

One workout will be for the December marathoners, of whom we have two. It will be similar to last week's.

The main workout will be an old favorite, not done for a long time

1 x 1000 (400) @ L
1 x 900 (300) @ L
1 x 800 (200) @ L
1 x 700 (300) @ M
1 x 600 (400) @ M
1 x 500 (300) @ M
1 x 400 (400) @ S
1 x 300 (300) @ S
1 x 200 (200) @ S

This is 5400m, so low-mileage runners (below 40 mpw) need to drop one or two of the last four.

#572 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:27 PM

We will have two workouts. One is for the December marathoners (other than CIM), of whom I think we have only one. That will be arranged on site.

The other is something really standard that we may never actually have done.

2 x 600 (200) @ L

4 x 600 (400) @ M

2 x 600 (200) @ L

High mileage people can add a few more, if they want.

#573 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

Today we will have a few people doing marathon or half-marathon tapers. For the rest

8 x 800 @ T or slightly faster (30-40 sec)

This is basically what we've done many times before, with the 11 x 600, but this time we're going for longer intervals. Recoveries are jog back and forth a bit, which means that all intervals will start in the same place. Find a group and adjust your pace and recovery slightly to fit in and keep it social.

#574 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8104 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:40 AM

12/12/2017: Hey Rick, David and I are planning to do the up-and-over workout on Terwilliger tonight. Just wondering if you want to make that the official TRL workout for this week.

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#575 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:07 PM

Those wanting hills can join Tim and David. The rest of us will stay on the track.

2 x 500-500- (400) @ L
1-? x 1000 (400) @ L
2 x 500-500- (400) @L

#576 DJ DeAustria

DJ DeAustria

Salamander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Thai Massage, massage, Ironman, Triathlon, swimming, biking, running,

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:55 PM

Rick hadn't recalled me ever coming to track, I used in Lake Oswego.  I have been to Duniway  I had forgotten until Tim asked if I was making my annual trip to track.  I ought to make it quarterly 

#577 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

Track tonight will be partially determined on site. It looks like we may have weather window, and if we do, I'll take advantage of it.

We'll do 1000s. Two options:

5-? x 1000 (400) @ L

or

6-? x 1000 @ T (45-60 sec)

if it's still warm, save energy to finish with 2-4 x 150 hard.

#578 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:01 PM

We'll all do the same workout this week, unless someone has special training needs. It's an old standard, with lots of floats.

Specifically

3-4 x 300-300-300-300- (400) @ L/L/M/M Note the speed-up. Note also that it never exceeds M. These are not sprints.

Very high mileage people can do 5.

#579 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:33 PM

This week's workout will be one of two options

A. Billat 30-30s. (I will explain on site)

B. A workout we did on Friday a while.

2 x 800 (35 sec)
3 x 600 (20-25 sec)
4 x 400 (15 sec)
1 x 600 (20-25 sec)
1-x 800

That should add up to ~4 miles, but I'll double check on site.

All at tempo or a touch faster.

#580 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

We will do two track workouts again, with any other variants needed by specific people.

One thing will be a change-up from prior years: we are going to try repeating a workout for a few weeks, so long as there's interest. That workout is the Billat 30-30s. The research behind this showed a really strong training effect after 4-6 weeks, and it's a good winter workout. (I can use the whistle without interfering with soccer games.) There are a fair number of people planning one or another 5K on Valentine's weekend, and I suggest this as a really good way to prep.

The other option will be M pace: a workout we've done before.

2 x 600 (400)
3-? x 800 (400)
2 x 600 (400)

High-mileage people do extra 800s.

But I'd love as many as are willing to try the Billet experiment. When she published it, Billat thought it was the most efficient known way to boost VO2max.

#581 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

Todays workout will have two alternatives

A: billats (round three of four, for those trying that).

B: 11x600 @T (25 sec)

Neither has long recoveries, which will make them more palatable if we dont get a break from the rain.

#582 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

Todays workout will have two alternatives

A: billats (round three of four, for those trying that).

B: 11x600 @T (25 sec)

Neither has long recoveries, which will make them more palatable if we dont get a break from the rain.

#583 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:31 AM

The rain is supposed to abate by track time, and it's still supposed to be mild for January. Fingers crossed!

We will have two workouts.

A. For those doing the Billats, this is round four of four. Not everyone will have done all three prior ones, but next week we will do something much more conventional, so we can see how well this carried over to it. Again, remember that Billats are not a race. You should never go anaerobic, though you will be maxing out your aerobics. Since you've done it before, set a time or distance goal based on prior workouts and take an extended recovery midway through if you need it to get there. If it's your first Billat session, I'll explain on site.

B. If you're not doing Billats, you can do straight L pace. Beware--this is the type of workout I plan for the Billat group for next week, so you may get it twice in a row, if you choose this one.

5-8 x 1000 (400) @ L

See you tonight!

#584 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:44 PM

Today's track will....drum roll...NOT be Billats!

Not that this is a surprise to anyone.

Instead, we'll do a very standard L pace workout. Specifically 12s and 2s.

3-? x 1200 (400) @ L
up to 6 x 200 (200) @ S

For those looking for something different, the alternative is floats. Specifically

3-? x 600-400-300- (400)
If you want to, you too can save energy for a few 200s at the end.

#585 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5696 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

Today's workout will be an old favorite, fun in a big group (which we have)

10-? x 500 (1 min) @ L

Due to crowding on Duniway, we may have to alter the protocol slightly. For those who've not done it before, the protocol is to run 500 and then take the 1 minute to turn around and jog back to the start. We generally do the return in Lanes 7 and 8. But with a large Team in Training present, doing its workout in lanes 3, 4 and 5, we will have to be very careful in moving outward to make the return. If that's a problem, remember that at this hour the field is usually not in use, so it's possible to return the start via the infield. The key is simply to be alert and not do anything the people behind you want expect.

Finish, as last week with some speed. In this case 2-4 x 150 would be good.

For those wanting something different, the B workout will be pure speed.

8-10 x 400 (400) @ S.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users