#1 steves

steves

Been there done that.

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Interests:Exploring the great N.W.

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

I would like to use my bike more for general purposes other than for training rides, but I'm not confident enough with any bike locks I've seen, due to my perception that there are no theft proof bike locks out there.

Would anybody have any input/recommendation on this topic?

Thanks!
Normal people scare me.

#2 Jeff M

Jeff M

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 2743 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

Steve, Hi! About 6 months ago, my bike was stolen. My thoughts:

• I had a cable lock on my bike. It was a pretty thick cable, but I'm sure the thief had a pretty big cable cutter!
  • Now I have a Kryptonite "U-lock". Much better I think. You can buy different sizes/thicknesses of Kryptonite "U-Locks". Some weigh several pounds!
  • In addition to the "U-Lock", which goes around the frame and bike rack, I also put a cable lock around my front wheel, frame and bike-rack. This now requires a thief to have another tool to steal my bike...as opposed to other nearby bikes that usually only have a "U-Lock". So, I'm hoping a thief will go for other bikes!
  • Take a picture of your bike, write down the make/model/color and the serial number. If your bike is stolen, you can post this info at http://bikeportland.org/stolenbikes and use it to file a complete police report. Might help getting your bike back.
  • There is a new "GPS bike tracker" that you can buy and put on your bike. If it is stolen, you can track it to wherever it is. Info at http://www.biketrak.com/.
  • Finally, whenever I can, I try to avoid locking my bike in public. If I have to, I choose well lit areas where there are other parked bikes around. And I never leave it parked overnight.

Anyway, my two cents!

Jeff

If I had some ham I could make ham and eggs if I had some eggs.

#3 markiemo

markiemo

Director of Group Runs

• Board Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3638 posts
  • Interests:Trail running, biking, hanging with reptiles, camping, traveling,
    beach bumming, enjoying the endless string of Saturdays...

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Uh, Steve, if the bike you think you need to secure is that one with the electric generator that powers your headlight by rubbing against the back wheel - don't kid yourself. I don't think anyone wants it :whistle:

However, I completely agree with Jeff. Kryptonite U-locks are pretty awesome. Mine is fairly heavy so hauling it around is kind of a pain but I can't see anyone trying to go through the hassel of cutting it off your bike if it's parked in a visible spot.

I do pretty much all my errands by bike and lock it up in all sorts of sketchy places all over the metro area.

#4 steves

steves

Been there done that.

• Red Lizards
  • 2182 posts
  • Interests:Exploring the great N.W.

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

Jeff, Great input and recommendation, Thanks! I'll look into the Kryptonite U locks. A friend of mine just had her bike stolen - they cut off the large cable lock - at the Hollywood 24hr fitness gym.

Mark, thanks for the support of what Jeff advised. Oh, and the bike you remembered I was using, for almost 40 years, had been replaced. I do have to add, with a smile, that antiquated form of head light energy was way ahead of it's time - you don't need batteries! Remember one of the reasons for "Earth Day"? Someday it will be back. :thumbsup:
Normal people scare me.

#5 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8121 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

There is NO theft-proof bike lock. Lisa just had her THIRD bike stolen from work at PeaceHealth/SW Washington Medical Center. And it was locked with BOTH a cable lock AND a Kryptonite U-lock!

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#6 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3907 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

This is sad, so sorry to Lisa.  Hopefully they will let her just bring it inside to the office.  I know our folks who ride in bring their bikes inside.  

#7 Fidel

Fidel

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 4197 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

That sucks. Mine got stolen in December and hate the feeling you get when u realize what's happened. If I ever bike to work again, I'm seriously thinking about getting a bike GPS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users