Theft proof bike lock.
Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:49 AM
Would anybody have any input/recommendation on this topic?
Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:15 AM
- I had a cable lock on my bike. It was a pretty thick cable, but I'm sure the thief had a pretty big cable cutter!
- Now I have a Kryptonite "U-lock". Much better I think. You can buy different sizes/thicknesses of Kryptonite "U-Locks". Some weigh several pounds!
- In addition to the "U-Lock", which goes around the frame and bike rack, I also put a cable lock around my front wheel, frame and bike-rack. This now requires a thief to have another tool to steal my bike...as opposed to other nearby bikes that usually only have a "U-Lock". So, I'm hoping a thief will go for other bikes!
- Take a picture of your bike, write down the make/model/color and the serial number. If your bike is stolen, you can post this info at http://bikeportland.org/stolenbikes and use it to file a complete police report. Might help getting your bike back.
- There is a new "GPS bike tracker" that you can buy and put on your bike. If it is stolen, you can track it to wherever it is. Info at http://www.biketrak.com/.
- Finally, whenever I can, I try to avoid locking my bike in public. If I have to, I choose well lit areas where there are other parked bikes around. And I never leave it parked overnight.
Anyway, my two cents!
If I had some ham I could make ham and eggs if I had some eggs.
Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:13 PM
However, I completely agree with Jeff. Kryptonite U-locks are pretty awesome. Mine is fairly heavy so hauling it around is kind of a pain but I can't see anyone trying to go through the hassel of cutting it off your bike if it's parked in a visible spot.
I do pretty much all my errands by bike and lock it up in all sorts of sketchy places all over the metro area.
Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:04 PM
Mark, thanks for the support of what Jeff advised. Oh, and the bike you remembered I was using, for almost 40 years, had been replaced. I do have to add, with a smile, that antiquated form of head light energy was way ahead of it's time - you don't need batteries! Remember one of the reasons for "Earth Day"? Someday it will be back.
Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:23 AM
THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.
PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!
Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:15 AM
This is sad, so sorry to Lisa. Hopefully they will let her just bring it inside to the office. I know our folks who ride in bring their bikes inside.
Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:26 AM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users