• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#16 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10384 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

...my first time under 75:00 since 2001.

Las Vegas? I remember that race fondly  :thumbsup:

http://www.reviewjou...s/15380212.html

MEN'S HALF-MARATHON

27 Bill Aronson, Portland, Ore., 1:12:07

28 Steven Bono, Boulder, Colo., 1:12:34

29 Joe Dudman, Portland, Ore., 1:12:44

"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#17 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10384 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

:hijack:

Speaking of the 2001 Las Vegas Half Marathon, I remember running most of it beside an ESPN motorcycle camera crew filming the women's leaders Rosa Gutierrez and Linda Somers Smith.  Despite trying to avoid the exhaust fumes, it was fun to be running alongside such great runners duking it out stride for stride.

1 Rosa Gutierrez, Glendale, Ore., 1:13:17
2 Linda Somers Smith, San Luis Obispo, Calif., 1:13:18

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the video of the women, but I did find this clip of the men's race.  These guys only finished seven minutes ahead of us!   :whistle:

#18 billa

billa

Don't call it a comeback; I've been here for years.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1254 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

why yes, Joe, how did you guess? :smile: Thanks for sharing, I don't think I ever saw that video. Ah man, what a day, huh? cool and clear, point to point with a 450' drop. I thought my pace would be 5:40, ran the first mile in that, then we started cranking 5:30 and lower. nearly breaking 72 on a day I thought 74 would be good was quite remarkable. then again, there is that little detail of the 450' drop... that just MIGHT have had something to do with it. :smile:

thru 4/21/2014 -
lifetime race count: 626
lifetime 1/2 marathon count: 
lifetime marathon count: 31 

PERSONAL RECORDS

BLOG

#19 lmtortor

lmtortor

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Running, rock-climbing, biking, camping, playing piano/singing, eating ice cream

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Nice weeks, everyone!

I want a TTT!  I have a 5K TT this Sunday, and so far I have zero companions.  It is an LTTT I guess.  Torrey, looks like you need to fly to Cville this weekend.

Andi, you hit all those workouts so well. I can't wait to see how the next few months go.  

I am not sure how much I can post (my coach doesn't want every detail spilled here).   I am going to find out soon, but until then I can give a brief summary.

I had an awesome week and am in that very happy place where I feel really good physically and mentally. I have been working on speed which is not my favorite, but I am FINALLY seeing results (i.e. 200s under 40s, 400s at :85).

This week's big monster was a hill workout that was done on the TM mid-week.  The funny part ("funny" is debatable) is that I was suppose to run it 20sec slower than MP and I did it at 20s FASTER than MP.  Naturally I could not complete it as [I thought] it was written on paper and took a few quick water/recovery breaks and slowed it down at some points.  I recall midway through thinking, "My coach is f-ing crazy!!"  I felt like a knucklehead when I saw the actual plan.

Anywho, I also had a really good double digit hilly run that finished in sub 7s  and a longish run w ~ 1/2 the miles under 7 min/mi, culminating in 4 x 400 hard sprints.  

I am really looking forward to the next 13 weeks.  I have a feeling I may be seeing my first triple digit week.  I am pretty excited about that, bc I know my body responds to high mileage. 

#20 allezvita

allezvita

motivationally challenged

• Red Lizards
  • 6677 posts
  • Interests:running, dogs, travel, good beer, good wine, good food

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Ok. I'm training for the Eugene Half. I've been doing track again on Tuesdays and not vomiting at the end of the work out. My 400 splits have been about 2:05-2:10 which puts me around 8:40ish.

I'm hoping to do the same as Lisa said: Finish and not die. 

I'm going to uses a few races in between to keep myself accountable (other than having Nikki to help keep me accountable)-like the Fanconi 5K, the Shamrock 8K, Wheatfield 8k and then the big dance. I'm not holding this particular race as the big goal-I just want to finish somewhere close to 2:10 or faster. That would still be a PR. I've not been working as hard as I should with training with a new busy job and grad school (meh, excuses)

What I am really training for is the Rio de Janerio Half in July. Now, I have to remember km markers and learn a little Portuguese. 

"unless you're doing chest compressions, you always have time to go to the bathroom"

"bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi"
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept my word

Plan your dive, dive your plan

when life gives you lemons, add booze

#21 lmtortor

lmtortor

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Running, rock-climbing, biking, camping, playing piano/singing, eating ice cream

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

This is going to be a quickie, as the WI v Ill game is on, followed by the SB.  I care more about the former, but I digress.

Overall, a week with less mileage (50), but I knew i was rolling into a TT week, and I wanted to be rested.

The key mid-week w/o was 5 x 1k (400)  in 3:42, 3:42, 3:39 (hooray!), 3:40, 3:40.  Today was suppose to be my TT.  I was dreading this solo endeavor all week.  Then my coach gave me option (as he could hear my grumbling 2500 miles away) to change it to Galen Rupp's sick workout as follows:  3 x 1 mi at 98% effort (i.e. somewhere between dying and 5K pace) with 10-15 min rest in between.

I did them in 5:49, 5:47, 5:45.  I was pretty happy w this... until I realized that he did them about 10 sec slower than his recent PR.  I am guessing I could probably race a mile in 5:20-5:30, so I was ~15-25s slower.  

Perhaps I should not be comparing myself to Galen Rupp. 

I get a short break now and then 11 weeks of marathon specific training.  I have a feeling it is going to hurt. Can't wait.

My updates will then be more like the usual "mon, tues, wed" format.

#22 andicamp

andicamp

showing my colors

• Red Lizards
  • 3488 posts
  • Interests:yes

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Week ending 2/3:

M - 4 am, 6 pm

T - 4 am, 6 pm w/ 6x strides

W - 12 w/ continuous 4.5 miles of 800m on/off: 3:08, 3:20, 3:04, 3:20, 3:06, 3:20, 3:06, 3:21, 3:06 (goal was 3:06/3:21)

T - 4 am, 6 pm

F - 4 am, 6 pm w/ 6x strides

S - 18 at easy pace

S - 10 easy

Total - 80

Well, Saturday was supposed to be an easy paced long run, but there wasn't really any choosing involved. I finally had the flat feeling long run I'd been expecting for the past few weeks. It doesn't concern me, as I've done quite a bit of running the past few weeks and thus a day like that was to be expected, but man, it was a good reminder of how long 18 miles can be when you're not feeling it. The nature of the accumulated fatigue was definitely muscular for me. The mileage combined with the fact that I've been adding back in more of my strength stuff definitely took the snap out of my legs. It's kind of a strange feeling when aerobically you are not even close to being challenged, yet your body in general is kind of in the trudge zone.

But, like I said, I knew this would happen eventually. On my old schedule (two quality days per week), I could run almost all of my long runs at a good solid effort. With my new 5 workouts in 2 weeks plan, I was pretty sure that one of my long runs would need to be mellower. The good news is that I felt fine the rest of the week, including Sunday. Weird to feel better the day after the long run.

Next week is a rest week, which is pretty cool. I'll probably only run around 60 miles. I'm very curious to see how I feel the week after the rest week. I think that'll give me some valuable information about my work load. If the work load is appropriate, I will usually perk right back up after a rest week. If not, well then I will need to do some adjusting.

Nice mile workout LT! Don't beat yourself up, those are great times. I think there are people out there that do well in time trial type atmospheres, but I also think that they are freaks of nature. It's tough to put that kind of effort out in a non-race situation. Plus, now you get to get back to doing your favorite stuff: marathon training!

Nice job getting back on the track, Sarah. Track is not an easy thing to love if you didn't grow up with it. It works, though. It really does. 

2010 mileage: 2929
2009 mileage: 2875
2008 mileage: 2436.5
2007 mileage: 2254.5
2010 prs/races: 1/7
2009 prs/races: 15/18
2008 prs/races: 12/17
2007 prs/races: 9/11

#23 BrianD

BrianD

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Very short update as I'm exhaused and have jury duty in the morning (woo-hoo?):

M- 7 easy

Tu- 10 easy w 30s @5k pace every 3 minutes

W- 10 easy

Th- 8 easy w 10xhill sprints

F- 4 easy warmup/warmdown + 5ish (1/2/3/2/1/2/3 minute intervals with equal recoveries at 3, 5 & 10k pace) not so easy :-)

Sa- 8 easy

Su- 17 (6 easy. 5 90 sec @ 10k, 90 sec @ easy, 3 easy, 3 "hard")

Total - 69.7

So this week was both a) awesome and B) a living hell for me.  This is about the max mileage my body can currently handle since I refuse to do doubles for a number of reasons.  Throw in the kiddos and I had multiple pre-9pm bedtimes this week (biggish deal since I tend to be a night owl)  That being said, all my workouts went swimmingly, including today's 5 miles of on/off as part of my 16 miler at around a 6:25ish pace.  Torrey and I were even able to drop the pace down the last three miles from 6:50-6:30-6:20ish at the end which made me very happy.  Well all of me except my hip which is sore though I think mainly tired more than anything else.  I'm currently 2/3 the way through a 15 day in a row stretch.  May not seem much for most but I almost never run more than 7-8 days in a row tops.  So it's more sleep, concentrate on getting quality out of my workouts and looking longingly at next Saturday which is both my wife's bday as well as my first day off in a while :-)

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people." - Bill Bowerman
"A bear with determination will defeat a dreamy gazelle every time" - s jurek
One day I may not be able to run. Today is not that day.

#24 Ben F

Ben F

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • 773 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

I'm running the Eugene Marathon for charity this year (upgrading from last year's half).  I signed up in early December, expecting to have a solid 2 months under my belt by now.  A significant calf injury a few days after signing up put a damper on that plan.  I began my training on Jan 31...so that gives me about 2.5 months to go from zero to can-finish-a-marathon shape.  I have no illusions about trying to run fast, but rather I want to build a solid summer training base and finish a marathon while I'm at it.  I also (foolishly) signed up for the Shamrock 15k.  That's in 1.5 months.  I should be able to finish but probably not much more than that.

Race: Eugene Marathon

A Goal: 3:00

B Goal: PR (3:28?  I don't even remember)

C Goal: Not die before finishing

Week 1 - 0 miles

Week 2 - 0 miles

Week 3 - 0 miles

Week 4 - 0 miles

Week 5 (Jan 28-Feb 2) - 6.6 miles

M - 0

T - 0 

W - 0

T - 3.5

F - 1.0

S - 2.1

S - 0

This should be interesting*.

*=agonizing

#25 lmtortor

lmtortor

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • 753 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Nice weeks, all.

Ben, that is more than a 10% increase in mileage this week.  Hold on there, sporto!

Brian, are you following a J Daniel's plan?  Those workouts sound a lot like what he uses.  I am a huge fan of adding speed into the long run, especially since I am getting old and can only squeeze two workouts in a week.  I know a lot of people argue for the slower long run, but I thrive on hammering out some faster long runs.  Just curious if this is your thought as well.

And yes, Andi. I am so excited for marathon training.  I did not think I would be quite so happy to be done with this block.  Mission accomplished though. My speed has improved.

Can't wait to see a huge group of you in a few months!

#26 BrianD

BrianD

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

LT-

Actually just following the Brad Hudson marathon 2 plan from his book. I am also a big fan of throwing in hard portions into my long run though this is the first time it's really been by design. The biggest change I've noticed with this plan is that I've done a much better job of having a wider spectrum of paces during a week. In the past, I've always been really bad about taking my easy run easy enough. This year the workouts combined w being tired chasing the kids around all day leaves me quite happy to knock out v easy runs when needed.

Also, a nice week from all! Wish Chad would share his zero to 73 miles in three weeks plan up here though. Sounds like Ben could be interested :-) (seriously, get healthy!)
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people." - Bill Bowerman
"A bear with determination will defeat a dreamy gazelle every time" - s jurek
One day I may not be able to run. Today is not that day.

#27 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8121 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Ben, why bother even running ONE mile? Seems like it would take disproportionately more time to get ready to run that doing a single mile would be worth.

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#28 Ben F

Ben F

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • 773 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Ben, why bother even running ONE mile? Seems like it would take disproportionately more time to get ready to run that doing a single mile would be worth.

Because it was a test run associated with stretching and other exercises.  When you've logged 90 straight zeros, a 1 is worthwhile.

#29 Clover

Clover

Reptile dysfunction

• Red Lizards
  • 4823 posts
  • Interests:5.25% and falling.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

I have come to what feels like an important decision to me.

I have decided I am an ex-marathoner. I am not going to sign up for any more marathons. I am not going to look at Boston qualifying standards. I am ready to etch my PRs, such that they are, on an appropriate piece of rock. I am ready to pay the man and go.

Although my hip is recovered, I find that when I up my mileage, it feels tired and sore and needs a lot of stretching and general rehab. It makes me anxious. I suspect I have a limited number of miles available. I want them to last until I'm really, really old. I worry about my bad side staying as good as possible, and I worry about my good side going bad. Worrying has never been a big part of my running (or any other aspect of my existence), and it kind of defeats the purpose.

I also want to do other things, and marathon training takes a lot of time. I want to be a beginner at something I've never tried. I want to take tennis lessons. 

I want to pace my friends in their races. I want to introduce my stepkids to running. I want to encourage noobs.

I want to be a hobbyjogger without a training schedule. In fact, I want "train" to be a mode of transportation and not a verb.

"Why aren't you signed up for the 401k?"

"I'd never be able to run that far."

--Scott Adams, Dilbert

#30 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10384 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

I have come to what feels like an important decision to me.

I have decided I am an ex-marathoner. I am not going to sign up for any more marathons. I am not going to look at Boston qualifying standards. I am ready to etch my PRs, such that they are, on an appropriate piece of rock. I am ready to pay the man and go.

Although my hip is recovered, I find that when I up my mileage, it feels tired and sore and needs a lot of stretching and general rehab. It makes me anxious. I suspect I have a limited number of miles available. I want them to last until I'm really, really old. I worry about my bad side staying as good as possible, and I worry about my good side going bad. Worrying has never been a big part of my running (or any other aspect of my existence), and it kind of defeats the purpose.

I also want to do other things, and marathon training takes a lot of time. I want to be a beginner at something I've never tried. I want to take tennis lessons. 

I want to pace my friends in their races. I want to introduce my stepkids to running. I want to encourage noobs.

I want to be a hobbyjogger without a training schedule. In fact, I want "train" to be a mode of transportation and not a verb.

Dang, you beat me to it.  I've been preparing a major statement myself, just waiting for the right moment.  This seems like a good time.

I have finally decided to pull the plug on Boston and announce my immediate and permanent retirement from marathoning.  Ever since last summer's stealth training, I've felt sore and tired in the hip flexor/abdomen region.  It comes and goes, and improves with rest, but it's always there, and it keeps me from running at my accustomed paces.  It may be related to playing indoor soccer every week for over a year straight  :whistle:  but darn it, I like soccer better than marathons (blasphemy!)  :wink:  I also think I end up running marathons periodically more because it's what other people do, and it generates more interest and excitement than a weekly 5k.  That's not to say I don't respect marathons.  I envy people who can crank out a solid marathon with regularity.  I like the excitement and anticipation, and the expos and swag are cool, but not the time requirements, the sense of impending doom, the sacrificing of other fun activities, and the general wear and tear on my body.  So I will play out the current soccer season, get some rest, and get back to trying to blitz some fast 5Ks and track races.  I look forward to feeling the rush of wind through my bald spot again, and I won't miss the creaking of my joints on the long slow training runs.

Also, it will be nice to have my final marathon stand as my PR!  Like Barry Sanders, or Ted Williams hitting a home run in his last at-bat, I will be going out on top  :cool:  Here are my lifetime marathon stats:

1. 2000 Las Vegas International Marathon: 3:14:29  (I would have retired then, but my BQ was 3:15, so I "had" to run Boston)  :twitch:

2. 2001 Boston Marathon: 3:06:59  (Big bonk)

3. 2007 Foot Traffic Flat Marathon: 2:49:19  (Probably my best overall marathon, and a successful "stealth" race. I remember Clover cheering people on in her TRL cheerleading outfit)   :cheer:

4. 2007 Timberline Marathon: 3:30:56  (It's all fun and games until you trip and break your kneecap halfway through the race)  :pinch:

5. 2008 Boston Marathon: 3:23:14  (Injured my foot at the Pear Blossom Run the weekend before, and hobbled the last ~19 miles at Boston)

6. 2010 Mt. Desert Island Marathon (Maine): 3:06:16  (Very scenic course, with my mom and aunt and uncle there to cheer me on.  Another bonk, and very similar to 2001 Boston).

7. 2012 Pocatello Marathon: 2:47:10  (A perfectly executed plan, and ideal course and weather conditions resulted in a PR.  I was ecstatic, even while I was feeling as sore, stiff, and nauseated as a Chernobyl victim - That's marathoning for you!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users