Photo

Track Workouts from 2008 - present (ongoing thread)

• Please log in to reply
617 replies to this topic

#616 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5694 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:01 PM

I haven't posted here for a couple weeks because we were doing Billats again, and again, and most people knew it.

We have now done 4 cycles of Billats. I propose 2 options.

4-? x 1000 (400) @L

0-5 x 200 (200) @S)

This time, those of you who like 200s might save energy for them. We did a bunch of short intervals during the summer of heat/smoke, but not for a while.

The 1000s will give you a sense of what the Billats did for your overall pace. Though some of you know, because you did well at Lents!

The other option, for those who missed a session of Billats and want to give it another go is to do them on your own. I won't be blowing whistle this week. If timing yourself every 30 sec is a pain, you can do something similar with modified Pre's 200s. We did that once before. The modification is to ignore the blazing-fast pace he ran. You're not Pre, I hate to tell you! Instead, follow the formula he used.

Specifically, do the fast 200 at about the pace you did the fast segment of the Billats. Maybe a touch faster. Pre did it slightly slower than his mile race pace.

Then, do the slower segment either 1/3 slower. Pre's 40-sec 200s would have been slower than marathon pace for him, if he'd ever run a marathon.

If that seems to slow (and for some people it probably is, you can do the slower segments 10-12 sec slower that the fast ones. A lot of this depends on how fast you run the fast ones. You can do the fast ones at 3K pace, too.

#617 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5694 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:42 PM

Today's workout will be a favorite cross-country peaking workout.

6 x 600/200 @ L/S (400)

I.e. you'll run the first 600 at L pace, then finish fast. (You won't really hit S pace; just speed up).

For those who don't want to do this, just do

6 x 800 @ M (400)

High mileage runners can add extra repeats.

#618 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5694 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:47 PM

Glorious fall continues, though it will get a bit chilly by the time we finish at Duniway, so bring your warmups. Playing cards, prizes, Kind Bars, and a few other things may reappear this week. My trunk is full, and it's dry enough to spread out on the picnic table.

Workouts will have 3 options:

1. 5-? x 800/200 (400) @ L/S. Not that the 200 finish will truly hit S pace. This is the same thing as last week, but a bit longer. Target race is Pier Park, though you have four days to recover for Fernhill, so it should work for that, too.

2. 3-6 x 1 mile (400) @ L. For those wanting to go long. Theresa will be doing these and would love company.

3. 8-10 x 400 (400) @ S. For those wanting something completely different. Lotsa options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users