26 replies to this topic

#16 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:45 PM

Went up for some sunrise Timberline laps this morning. Snow conditions are prime.

The mountain was crawling with climbers. There were at least 75 people going for the summit.

You really have to get an early start for good snow. Sun was completely nuclear by 8 AM.

#17 jbuckmaster

jbuckmaster

XC Series Director

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:35 AM

I got up there yesterday for a little dawn patrol action. The snow was like wet cement at about 8 too, but before that it was perfect. I hadn't ever skied from hogsback down to the right side (West side) of Castle rock and that was really awesome I think it would also stay good longer than the rest of that area. Gotta love spring in NW. I am heading down to sisters wilderness next week for a little skiing and climbing. Yeah the amount of people climbing hood is insane. I always want to ask them in they are waiting in line for a show or something.

Sometimes you must give up a good living to live good - Unknown

#18 Jeff Huber

Jeff Huber

Komodo Dragon

• Admin
  • 2467 posts
  • Interests:Running, timing people who are running, skiing.

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (Win Goodbody @ Apr 28 2007, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sun was completely nuclear by 8 AM.

Forutnatley the upper east side didn't get baked as quickly. I didn't leave my apt in Tigard until, uhh, the early hour of 7:45... We did the Wyeast face as seen from the MHM overpass yesterday morning:

Shred powering up the upper face:

Nice view from the top:

We didn't get any photos from the steep part, but we got some lower down. Me:

Shred with his broken bindings:

I wish I was up there again today. I'm having a hard time getting any work done right now.

#19 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3728 posts
  • Interests:Once in a while I like to go running.<br /><br />Usually I'm just in it for the beer!

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (Win Goodbody @ Apr 28 2007, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sun was completely nuclear by 8 AM.

Wait - you mean nucular? wacko.gif

#20 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • 3728 posts
  • Interests:Once in a while I like to go running.<br /><br />Usually I'm just in it for the beer!

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Jeff Huber @ Apr 29 2007, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forutnatley the upper east side didn't get baked as quickly. I didn't leave my apt in Tigard until, uhh, the early hour of 7:45... We did the Wyeast face as seen from the MHM overpass yesterday morning:

Wow, I am looking forward to doing Adams or something later this spring - that looks amazing.

Maybe next year I'll do a better job of ditching the lift...

#21 Jeff Huber

Jeff Huber

Komodo Dragon

• Admin
  • 2467 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Diep @ Apr 29 2007, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, I am looking forward to doing Adams or something later this spring - that looks amazing.

Thanks! St Helens is a good one to get right now too!

#22 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • 2574 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:27 AM

Wow, Jeff that looks awesome! I used to ski with shred seemingly eons ago - back in 1998-2000 era.

I am definitely psyched for Adams. We should plan a lizard outing.

Palmer was frozen hard as long as I was up there (6:30 AM - 10:00 AM), but Magic Mile was a slush fest. Conditions are perfect for fast gerbil treadmill laps if you go early.

Ditch the lift! I am convinced that the uphill laps on Timberline are great xc for running. Do laps Saturday, long run Sunday. I think it really works. Only issue is the early start. Optimal time to leave Portland is 4:00 AM!

Diep/Jeff, what about another Timberline laps morning en route to the next Mosier tunnel run event on May 26 in Hood River? It's part of the summer series.

#23 Jeff Huber

Jeff Huber

Komodo Dragon

• Admin
  • 2467 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Win Goodbody @ Apr 30 2007, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Diep/Jeff, what about another Timberline laps morning en route to the next Mosier tunnel run event on May 26 in Hood River? It's part of the summer series.

I may be interested . . . but uh, what time would we have to leave PDX though? More snow last night and more in the next few days. woot!

#24 NextLizard_Tiger Paul_*

NextLizard_Tiger Paul_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:56 PM

Jeff.. those are some awesome pics! Looks like something out of a Warren Miller flick. Scary steep.. if it looks steep on camera.. it's gotta be steep.

I went to Meadows on Saturday for the first time in weeks. They had a mere 2 to 3 inches from the past week's storms. Snowpack is still decent but spring conditions make it a little hairy when the snow surface is uneven and changes depending on the shade and elevation. Heather Canyon was in decent shape though.. did one run down from Memorial Bowl into the lower canyon.

Ditch the lift? Hell, no! I get too overheated trying to climb up a snow-covered mountain with all those clothes on!

No snow in the forecast for this week... pray for one last storm from Alaska!

#25 Jeff Huber

Jeff Huber

Komodo Dragon

• Admin
  • 2467 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:43 PM

So anyone else get out today?

It was sunny all day up high today. I couldn't find partners for the drive to Rainer, so went to the Plamer with a punctual start of 11am. I ran into Lowell Skoog's wife (who couldn't possible be a nicer person) and a group of friends from some silly website. We skinned over to Illumination Rock. They went down to a 2nd car at Paradise Park, and I skied as far down the Zigzag glacier as I could then cut back to Tline. The snow was really nice (well okay, the Mile was a bit sticky in the late afternoon).

Finding the most precarious spot possible to remove skins:

John and clouds:

#26 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • 3728 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

Wow, that looks pretty sweet...

#27 Raven Runner

Raven Runner

Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:51 PM

whistle.png Woooo Jeff!
Just BEAUTIFUL!
Thanks for bringing the camera!
Plus, those dogs are Super Canines! super.png puppeh.gif
Mimi thumbsup.png

QUOTE (Jeff Huber @ May 13 2007, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So anyone else get out today?

It was sunny all day up high today. I couldn't find partners for the drive to Rainer, so went to the Plamer with a punctual start of 11am. I ran into Lowell Skoog's wife (who couldn't possible be a nicer person) and a group of friends from some silly website. We skinned over to Illumination Rock. They went down to a 2nd car at Paradise Park, and I skied as far down the Zigzag glacier as I could then cut back to Tline. The snow was really nice (well okay, the Mile was a bit sticky in the late afternoon).

Finding the most precarious spot possible to remove skins:

John and clouds:

My art! Check it out at http://www.mimimatsudaart.com

"Fortitudine Vincimus" ~ By endurance we conquer. ~Ernest Shackleton's family motto

Mimi's motto ~ Given enough coffee, anything's possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users