#1 AlyT

AlyT

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:30 PM

Hi

I went to the doctor yesterday and had some blood drawn for some general tests. The day before the blood draw I had a long hard workout. Needless to say I felt pretty rough this morning before my early morning speed workout. Anyway, I failed miserably and could not finish the proscribed workout which was going to be 3 x 1k at 3k pace with 1 minute rest and 2 x 600 at faster than 3k pace.

What I am wondering is the following: Is having blood drawn ( I think it was two viles) a factor, am I just not recovered from Tuesdays workout, and/or am I just a wimp ; )

Alyssa

#2 Doug

Doug

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7221 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:36 PM

I've had similar experiences...A few years ago I donated blood the day before the Vancouver Lake Half marathon and felt so terrible the next day that I dropped out of the race about 4 miles into it.

Also, a few years ago, I gave blood again the day before one of the fit right xc races and felt horrible and dropped out about a mile into a 5-k race.

I've since stopped giving blood before big workouts or races...I've also stopped giving blood because I always seem to be getting a tattoo every year for the past couple of years or so and you're supposed to wait a year before giving blood after the tattoo.

I just remember feeling kind of drained during the races after I had given blood and light headed.

#3 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • 3728 posts
  • Interests:Once in a while I like to go running.<br /><br />Usually I'm just in it for the beer!

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

I know it is a really good thing to do, but as a runner in a serious training phase you simply cannot donate blood. As far as a draw for medical reason, obviously you have to do it, but I would suggest trying to do it soon after a hard workout so that you can take a day or two easy. A small draw might not take long to recover from, but the longer you have the better.

#4 Tgirl

Tgirl

jill of all (running) trades

• Red Lizards
  • 4215 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:00 PM

I give blood once a year during my two week break from training. Otherwise I don't donate blood.

The amount of blood taken for tests is much less and shouldn't have any serious effects on training or racing.

"The real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgivable, is the violence that we do to ourselves when we're too afraid to be who we really are." Lana Wachowski.

#5 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5935 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

Having blood drawn for tests, though, is pretty minor. Donating, you give . . . what is it? A pint (half a liter). For tests, it's 5-10 cc or less per vial. Not much effect. So it was probably just a bad day, or stress from wondering about it maybe.

Giving blood will keep you low for a while, too, as you resupply. Your fluid volume recovers quickly, but your hematocrit would lag.

#6 Johncdc

Johncdc

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (AlyT @ Feb 12 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi

I went to the doctor yesterday and had some blood drawn for some general tests. The day before the blood draw I had a long hard workout. Needless to say I felt pretty rough this morning before my early morning speed workout. Anyway, I failed miserably and could not finish the proscribed workout which was going to be 3 x 1k at 3k pace with 1 minute rest and 2 x 600 at faster than 3k pace.

What I am wondering is the following: Is having blood drawn ( I think it was two viles) a factor, am I just not recovered from Tuesdays workout, and/or am I just a wimp ; )

Alyssa

Alyssa, since you are small and slight you likely have less than 4 litres of blood. So, if they took approx 20 ml of blood for tests (very typical draw), they took a little more than 1/2 of one percent of your blood. So, you were running at 99.5% capacity perhaps. Additionally, if you were significantly "stressed out" before, during and after the draw, that means you were in a low-level flight-fight state and producing abundant stress hormones etc. and your body would follow that period with a refractory phase wherein it attempts to replace some of the substrate you "burned" while you were stressed out. Replacement of the substrate is energy consuming, I do not know how much, but it is significant. So, it is quite conceivable that the combo of the two could knock you back a notch (in addition to other factors of course).
Of course donating a pint of blood would mess you up for a while as it would be about 1/8th of your blood.

John J. Collins
Springbrook Chiropractic

#7 PDX Road Racer

PDX Road Racer

Presidential Candidate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2484 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

Sounds more like a lack of recovery (to me). The American Red Cross web site has the following factoid:

How much blood is taken ó won't it make me weak?
A blood donation equals approximately one pint of blood. The average adult body has 10-12 pints. The vast majority of people will not feel any different because of the donation. A very small percentage may experience temporary dizziness, but some rest and fluids will help you feel better quickly. Your body will replace the lost fluid within 24 hours.

And you gave much less than a pint (probably 2x10 ml for the normal sized tubes). In numbers, you gave ~4% of a pint of blood. I'm certain you woke up the next morning at your normal blood volume.
There once was a man named Stinky Stick,
Who didnít have the sense of a common tick.
He lived in an old barn,
And was happy to charm,
And tell a big yarn,
But still was just a stupid dumb hick.

#8 Johncdc

Johncdc

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (PDX Road Racer @ Feb 12 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds more like a lack of recovery (to me). The American Red Cross web site has the following factoid:

How much blood is taken ó won't it make me weak?
A blood donation equals approximately one pint of blood. The average adult body has 10-12 pints. The vast majority of people will not feel any different because of the donation. A very small percentage may experience temporary dizziness, but some rest and fluids will help you feel better quickly. Your body will replace the lost fluid within 24 hours.

And you gave much less than a pint (probably 2x10 ml for the normal sized tubes). In numbers, you gave ~4% of a pint of blood. I'm certain you woke up the next morning at your normal blood volume.

No way she had the whole RBCs/wbcs/plasma/serum etc. replaced within 24 hours unless she injected it back in. The Red Cross statement is misleading. FLUID is not Blood. In fact the fluid they refer to is NOT even serum, in fact it is not even plasma. It actually takes days to weeks get the full blood component replaced into circulation depending on how much is taken. So no way she had the blood within 24 hours. Only question is this: did the blood loss affect her significantly or not. Also, no way a 105+ pound women has 10-12 pints of blood. More like <8 pints.

John J. Collins
Springbrook Chiropractic

#9 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

I had been giving a pint of blood every 6 or 8 weeks, untill I got into racing and found it
affected me a lot. Last year there was a time I figured on taking about a month off before
my next race so I decided to give the double dose of platelets...holy moly!!! that did a job on even easy runs
for about 3 weeks.
But when I've given blood for testing, it has not done much to me but like Dr. John says,
you probably have much less blood to give then I do.

Marathon training skulker

#10 PDX Road Racer

PDX Road Racer

Presidential Candidate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2484 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (Johncdc @ Feb 12 2009, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No way she had the whole RBCs/wbcs/plasma/serum etc. replaced within 24 hours unless she injected it back in. The Red Cross statement is misleading. FLUID is not Blood. In fact the fluid they refer to is NOT even serum, in fact it is not even plasma. It actually takes days to weeks get the full blood component replaced into circulation depending on how much is taken. So no way she had the blood within 24 hours. Only question is this: did the blood loss affect her significantly or not. Also, no way a 105+ pound women has 10-12 pints of blood. More like <8 pints.

Even presuming only 7 pints of blood, she had ~.06% of her blood drawn. She most likely replaced all her fluid soon after drinking and eating her next meal. How the lost of such a miniscule amount of other materials effected her performance the next day is beyond me. Just giving my opinion. thumbsup.png

List of human blood components
http://en.wikipedia....lood_components

P.S. http://thestar.com.m...mp;sec=Olympics
There once was a man named Stinky Stick,
Who didnít have the sense of a common tick.
He lived in an old barn,
And was happy to charm,
And tell a big yarn,
But still was just a stupid dumb hick.

#11 SuperKuper

SuperKuper

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

I too doubt the relatively small amount drawn for blood tests would make any difference in performance. The pint given when donating blood, on the other hand, would take time to replace. I don't think most people would need much more than a few days at most to replace the volume taken. Whether it might take longer than that to replace the red blood cells specifically, I'm not sure.

I have no medical training so these are merely hunches whistle.png

I have tried a few times to get a Red Lizard blood drive organized but we have not had enough interest to meet the Red Cross requirement of approx 20-25 people.

Keep on truckin'! :yes:

#12 AlyT

AlyT

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

Thanks so much for all your insight. Just to let you know, I don't give blood because you have to weigh 110 lbs. They weighed me at the office and I only weighed just over 100lbs.

I think I was just not recovered from my last workout which was 6 miles at a 6:40ish pace then 1 miles at a 6:20 pace no rest with no break. I was wiped out afterwards. I am not use to these long hard workouts. I should have waited until Friday to do the VOMax workout but could not because I have a 3k Indoor race planned for Sunday.

Thanks again!

Alyssa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users