• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4823 posts
  • Interests:5.25% and falling.

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (pdxrunr @ Nov 14 2008, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amy,

Your doctor really told you that you weren't contagious? Check this out:

http://kidshealth.or...contagious.html

And ironically, my lymph nodes are swollen this morning! I know we only ran together on Tuesday, but perhaps you breathed on me! happy.png I hope it is only a coincidence and I'm not coming down with mono. I feel fine and had a great workout yesterday, but I never have swollen lymph nodes and it is really freaking me out.

L

You're looking for an excuse to get out of the time trial on Sunday, or maybe just to sandbag in general. Everyone here can see right through you!

"Why aren't you signed up for the 401k?"

"I'd never be able to run that far."

--Scott Adams, Dilbert

#17 pdxrunr

pdxrunr

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (Clover @ Nov 14 2008, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're looking for an excuse to get out of the time trial on Sunday, or maybe just to sandbag in general. Everyone here can see right through you!

Damn, you're on to me! happy.png Or perhaps I picked this up someplace else...they also call it the "kissing disease" don't they?

L

#18 Clover

Clover

Reptile dysfunction

• Red Lizards
  • 4823 posts
  • Interests:5.25% and falling.

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (pdxrunr @ Nov 14 2008, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn, you're on to me! happy.png Or perhaps I picked this up someplace else...they also call it the "kissing disease" don't they?

L

wub.gif >>>>>>>>> sick.png

"Why aren't you signed up for the 401k?"

"I'd never be able to run that far."

--Scott Adams, Dilbert

#19 SpottyFish

SpottyFish

Salamander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Running, mt. biking, road biking, hiking, camping, backpacking, canoeing, snowboarding.

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (Amygirl @ Nov 13 2008, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oooooo......doesn't sound good, sounded like that day was horrible for you. The sleep part sounds good though. Yeah I am still running but like you, just weaker, slower and not as much.

Curious of how long you had the virus?

Don't exactly remember, it's one of those things that goes away very gradually (and it was about 8 years ago). I think I was really down for about two months. I was taking summer classes at the time and my doctor suggested I take the rest of the quarter off, I didn't, it was a bad decision and my grades suffered. I fell asleep in biomechanics class a few times, thankfully my instructor knew I had mono thumbsup.png.

#20 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3907 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (pdxrunr @ Nov 14 2008, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amy,

Your doctor really told you that you weren't contagious? Check this out:

http://kidshealth.or...contagious.html

And ironically, my lymph nodes are swollen this morning! I know we only ran together on Tuesday, but perhaps you breathed on me! happy.png I hope it is only a coincidence and I'm not coming down with mono. I feel fine and had a great workout yesterday, but I never have swollen lymph nodes and it is really freaking me out.

L

Louis,

They suspect I contracted Mono last spring when I was sick and out of work for a solid week. That was 5 months ago. I didn't even know I had it. I have been around many people, swap sweat, drinks, I work with kids too. Know one I know has Mono. Then last month I became sick again with a sore throat, they did a strep test, came up neg. Then I got better and was fine, but still really fatigued. I just went in on my own being my own advocate knowing something was up and my nodes were fighting something. Then the test came back positive for Mono. All my my symptoms started last spring, this is when they think the beginning of the contagious stages were. Unless we were to kiss, swap saliva you cannot get the virus. hug.gif

Relax..... and if by chance I did give it to you..I am so sorry, I will owe you big time. I have been running, with the lizards for months, working with co-workers ect for months. There has been no prob. Do not obsess and over think why your nodes are swollen. It is after all cold season. Remember this is not an air borne virus. I don't know how I got it, I do work with special ed kids with many issues. I have had kids sneeze in my face, spit in my face ect.

I feel really awful about it and wasn't sure if I should have mentioned it at all.

Are you ready to run Tuesday? kiss.png

#21 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3907 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (allezvita @ Nov 14 2008, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a virus. It runs it's course in it's own time (whether it is certified or not). Rest helps. Emergen-C will allow you to pee out all the extraneous vitamin C you pour into your body and it doesn't absorb...ergo...don't waste your money on it. Antibiotics-not indicated unless you get another infection superimposed like strep throat.

Do what your body can tolerate. You'll pay for it if you over do it. There is no miracle cure. Period.

You should have liver functions done for baseline and follow up.

EBV will go latent and probably never bother you again unlike chicken pox which can rear its ugly head later as shingles.

I was only sick for a couple of weeks but I do remember feeling like crap for a few days for sure.

Thanks for your input. I appreciated it. Just hope I didn't freak out to many people.

#22 pdxrunr

pdxrunr

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Amygirl @ Nov 14 2008, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Louis,

They suspect I contracted Mono last spring when I was sick and out of work for a solid week. That was 5 months ago. I didn't even know I had it. I have been around many people, swap sweat, drinks, I work with kids too. Know one I know has Mono. Then last month I became sick again with a sore throat, they did a strep test, came up neg. Then I got better and was fine, but still really fatigued. I just went in on my own being my own advocate knowing something was up and my nodes were fighting something. Then the test came back positive for Mono. All my my symptoms started last spring, this is when they think the beginning of the contagious stages were. Unless we were to kiss, swap saliva you cannot get the virus. hug.gif

Relax..... and if by chance I did give it to you..I am so sorry, I will owe you big time. I have been running, with the lizards for months, working with co-workers ect for months. There has been no prob. Do not obsess and over think why your nodes are swollen. It is after all cold season. Remember this is not an air borne virus. I don't know how I got it, I do work with special ed kids with many issues. I have had kids sneeze in my face, spit in my face ect.

I feel really awful about it and wasn't sure if I should have mentioned it at all.

Are you ready to run Tuesday? kiss.png

Amy,

I'm sure I don't have mono...just thought it was ironic that my lymph nodes are swollen. I'm sure I'm probably just fighting off something. I'll know for sure based on how my Sunday workout goes. It was great running with you at Tabor on Tuesday. Depending on how I'm feeling after Sunday, I may join you again..same time and place?

Louis

#23 Fidel

Fidel

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 4197 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (Amygirl @ Nov 14 2008, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your input. I appreciated it. Just hope I didn't freak out to many people.

I hope you didn't infect those human cadavers... bug.png

#24 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10383 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Fidel @ Nov 14 2008, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First the bizarro "wedding" and now this. I'm afraid to ask... shocked.png
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#25 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

Um.

I'm not a doctor or even a PA, but can't you screw up your spleen if you exert yourself too much when you have mono? Or is that urban legend? Seems like if you're ill, then rest because otherwise you'll get worse. But whatever: each to her own.

Oh, and are mono and Epstein-Barr the same thing? I think they are different, unless you can have both?

Edited - oh, I see that Epstein-Barr can sometimes cause mono.

do3nyr.jpg

#26 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3907 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (loofahgirl @ Nov 14 2008, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um.

I'm not a doctor or even a PA, but can't you screw up your spleen if you exert yourself too much when you have mono? Or is that urban legend? Seems like if you're ill, then rest because otherwise you'll get worse. But whatever: each to her own.

Oh, and are mono and Epstein-Barr the same thing? I think they are different, unless you can have both?

Edited - oh, I see that Epstein-Barr can sometimes cause mono.

Hey Loofah,

Yeah, I did read something about that,,,, I will take all your advice... It seems like I am at the tail end of this thing. I took the end of this week off from work, I am going crazy. I am not going to the XC race tomorrow, I don't need to be sprinting. The doc said do what ever I have been doing and when I feel tired or bad, just rest, walk take it easy. Instead I will pace myself with a slower run or a cross workout without exerting myself. Especially that I am starting to train for the Orcas Island run.

I do not want to get worse. I don't have Epstein-Barr, but they said most people carry this virus and it could cause Mono when infected. Not sure about all the specs, but they did test me and I don't have any type of herpes virus. I guess thats a good thing.

You gals have been so great. Thank you all for caring and giving me support and great advice.

#27 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3907 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Fidel @ Nov 14 2008, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haaaaaaa..........Ha.haaaaaaaaaaaaa.. alien.png I think they gave it to me sick.png

Maybe they really weren't humans? fear.png

#28 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3907 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (Joe D. @ Nov 14 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First the bizarro "wedding" and now this. I'm afraid to ask... shocked.png

OMG......Joe, you don't even want to know. I think I have been infected by aliens devil.png

There were at least 50 of them. All naked blink.gif

#29 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3907 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (pdxrunr @ Nov 14 2008, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amy,

I'm sure I don't have mono...just thought it was ironic that my lymph nodes are swollen. I'm sure I'm probably just fighting off something. I'll know for sure based on how my Sunday workout goes. It was great running with you at Tabor on Tuesday. Depending on how I'm feeling after Sunday, I may join you again..same time and place?

Louis

Yep, In the parking lot where my car was. 4pm. I will make another post. Thanks for finding me, thought I was in for a miserable run by myself.

I remember what you said about your legs. You are a fantastic runner and a smart one. Like everyone has been telling me, be smart enough to give yourself recovery time. Maybe Monday should be off for you, Then you may feel ok to run Tabor on Tues.

Buy the way, do you know who met up with us? his name was Rob?

#30 Aaron

Aaron

Repressed Sprinter

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (Amygirl @ Nov 14 2008, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG......Joe, you don't even want to know. I think I have been infected by aliens devil.png

There were at least 50 of them. All naked blink.gif

Uh oh, I hope Badass doesn't have it too.

I don't have anything substantive to say about mono, but Amy I hope you get well quickly! flowers.png

It's a simple question of weight ratios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users