21 replies to this topic

#16 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:27 PM

ralovett takes out carreh when Michigan State edges Duke in a thriller.

behansen, dudeman, and hatfield hang on to the top spot, but ralovett closes to within 10 points and is the only one of the four whose championship pick is still alive.

Now the random odds are:

ralovett 50% (wins outright if Michigan State beats Texas Tech in the semis)

hatfield 50% (finishes on top if Texas Tech beats Michigan State.  Wins outright if Virginia beats Auburn in the other semi, otherwise ties behansen and dudeman)  

behansen 25% (ties dudeman and hatfield if Texas Tech beats Michigan State and Auburn beats Virginia)

dudeman 25% (ties behansen and hatfield if Texas Tech beats Michigan State and Auburn beats Virginia)

So there's a 25% chance of a three-way tie.  Ordinarily a tie would be broken using the score in the finals, but that seems anti-climatic.  In the event of a tie, how about a 3-point shooting contest, and to increase the running component: most 3-pointers in 10 minutes, only 1 ball per person, attempts are on alternating ends of the court, and held outside with no backstop other than the backboard? ;-)

I could dig deeper..., but then I'd be further in a hole.

#17 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10383 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:24 PM

So there's a 25% chance of a three-way tie.  Ordinarily a tie would be broken using the score in the finals, but that seems anti-climatic.  In the event of a tie, how about a 3-point shooting contest, and to increase the running component: most 3-pointers in 10 minutes, only 1 ball per person, attempts are on alternating ends of the court, and held outside with no backstop other than the backboard? ;-)

Sounds good to me!

Or alternatively, we could play a simple game of L-I-Z-A-R-D  :lizard:  :wink: 

"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#18 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5870 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:15 PM

Wow, when was the last time we had a finale like this? If I'd called one first-round game better (pick any I missed), we'd be in a four-way tie, with the prospect of finishing that way, whatever happens with MSU/Texas Tech. How wild.

BTW, have you noticed that half of our group is 84% plus in the overall ESPN standings. Not counting Dummy, who, thankfully, is now edged out of any chance of victory. How embarrassing if we all got beaten by Dummy.

#19 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:01 AM

For my first time in this group, this has been fun!   Bring on the three way tie!
I need to start shooting hoops when I get home in the evening!

Marathon training skulker

#20 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • 1336 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:51 AM

Sounds good to me!

Or alternatively, we could play a simple game of L-I-Z-A-R-D  :lizard:  :wink:

Whoa, good thing I didn't suggest the alternative that also included free throws as well as half and full-court shots (to increase strategy and comeback potential). ;-)

Wow, when was the last time we had a finale like this? If I'd called one first-round game better (pick any I missed), we'd be in a four-way tie, with the prospect of finishing that way, whatever happens with MSU/Texas Tech. How wild.

Checking with the Elias Sports Bureau, this is the first time in the Modern Era (my records only go back to 2012) that we have had as many as four people still alive heading into the Final Four.

It's weird cheering for Texas Tech since they knocked out my top pick, Gonzaga.  But I started rooting for them when chair-wielding Bobby Knight was their coach.  Go Red Raiders! :smile:

For my first time in this group, this has been fun!   Bring on the three way tie!
I need to start shooting hoops when I get home in the evening!

First time?  What about pazal?  Speaking of which, who is scroogemcduck?  Hmm...

#21 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10383 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:11 PM

Whoa, good thing I didn't suggest the alternative that also included free throws as well as half and full-court shots (to increase strategy and comeback potential). ;-)

Speaking of which, who is scroogemcduck?  Hmm...

Yes, who IS scroogemcduck?! Reveal yourself :fear:  :huh:  :smile: 

"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#22 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • 1336 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 11:50 PM

In the first semi, Virginia shocked Auburn in the last second, ending any chance of a tiebreaker for us. :(

In the nightcap, Texas Tech beat Michigan State, and hatfield backs into the crown.  ralovett finishes second by just 10 points, the equivalent of one measly 1st-round game.  This is the smallest margin of victory since 2014 when ralovett edged brewdad in the same fashion.  carreh rounds out the podium.  Here's a look at the podium since 2012:

2019*	hatfield	190	ralovett	188	carreh		184
2018*	brewdad		184	carreh		150	hatfield	136
2017	dudeman		240	ralovett	212	hatfield	174
2016	brewdad		192	hatfield	162	pazal		138
2015	ralovett	232	steves		182	pazal		170
2014	ralovett	136	brewdad		134	gobruins	122
2013	peabody		220	steves		184	hatfield/susanb	170
2012	susanb		308	dudeman		294	peabody		282

* Point totals divided by 5 to be comparable to totals from previous years.

P.S. scroogemcduck wins the Lucky 7 Award for finishing 7th.  Please come forward to claim your prize. :wink:

bracket2019_.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users