#31 PDX Road Racer

PDX Road Racer

Presidential Candidate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2484 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (Rick Lovett @ Aug 1 2008, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, rightly or wrongly, it does look like the IAAF was out to nail the Russians as a team, not just as individuals. For those who didn't read the link, that has to do with the timing of the announcement. They've been suspicous since sometime in 2006, but just released the DNA results now, when it's just barely too late for the Russians to substitute. That almost has to have been deliberate, to prevent 'em from simply rotating in another runner who'd been giving fake urine samples.

Actually, I believe the poor timing, i.e. a week before the start of the Olympic Games, couldnít be avoided, and therefore not politically motivated or any attempt to screw the Russians as a team. At least the announcement didnít happen after the Beijing prelims and could have been worse. The IAAF had an IOC-accredited laboratory perform DNA testing, which revealed discrepancies between samples taken at last year's World Championships in Osaka (where the IAAF was able to conduct their own testing and thus match up the different urine samples) and out-of-competition testing in May. It is believed that, to complete its body of evidence, the IAAF went to Moscow in the last 30 days to collect yet more samples from the athletes involved. Therefore, for the IAAF to have the IOC-accredited laboratory provide the highest-quality DNA testing to withstand any possible future legal challenges, it took some time (they wanted their ducks in order).

And any notion that the IAAF unfairly targeted the Russians should be set aside. Attention increasingly focused on the Russian athletes, and experts started comparing their in-competition samples, which were clearly delivered by the athletes themselves (a huge bloody red flag), to those taken out of competition.

Additionally, in out-of-competition tests, the general ratio among professional sportspeople is one missed test for every five that an athlete completes. It was when the Russians, over a long period of time, started missing significantly fewer than that figure that their apparent good behavior backfired. The IAAF had no choice but to institute a ďsting operation.Ē

Edited to add: Earlier this week, the IOC announced all drug tests taken in Beijing would be stored for eight years and revisited as new methods of testing were developed. Previously, they were stored for only 90 days.

It will be interesting to see how many Olympic medal contenders will suddenly strain a hamstring or otherwise bow out of the games.

There once was a man named Stinky Stick,
Who didnít have the sense of a common tick.
He lived in an old barn,
And was happy to charm,
And tell a big yarn,
But still was just a stupid dumb hick.

#32 PDX Road Racer

PDX Road Racer

Presidential Candidate

• Members
  • 2484 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

Air Pollution Update:

Beijing's air pollution index was 44 on Wednesday, 69 on Thursday, and dropped to 28 on Friday. Reports of a strange blue color in the sky confused most citizens. purple.png purple.png purple.png purple.png purple.png purple.png purple.png purple.png purple.png purple.png purple.png

http://sportsillustr...n.ap/index.html
He lived in an old barn,
And was happy to charm,
And tell a big yarn,

#33 PDX Road Racer

PDX Road Racer

Presidential Candidate

• Members
  • 2484 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:03 PM

I predict:

110 HURDLES
G ó Dayron Robles (Cuba)
S ó David Oliver (US)
B ó Xiang Liu (China)

400 HURDLES
G ó Kerron Clement (US)
S ó Bershawn Jackson (US)
B ó Danny McFarlane (Jamaica)

He lived in an old barn,
And was happy to charm,
And tell a big yarn,

#34 SusanB

SusanB

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

This drives me nuts! I do not understand the win at all costs mentality at all. What satisfaction can people get from cheating to win? You know you cheated. You didn't beat the other people. That was you on drugs. I know I have been living in dream land and all, but come on. Why can't people just train hard. There are no short-cuts to the top. That leads to a whole different rant on this new "exercise pill" that has come out. Can't wait till athletes start taking that as "extra training". Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited to watch the Olympics and all, but all the extra crap is really starting to get to me. Now if someone does well you just assume they are doped until proven innocent. I want to see what limits the human body can get to, not the enhanced version. Plus with this year I'm just praying all the athletes and spectators make it home safely without something really bad happening. As has been said in the past, this is not what the Olympics are suppose to be like.
Okay, now that that is done I'll just think positive thoughts and be ready to cheer people on.

#35 Fidel

Fidel

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4197 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (SusanB @ Aug 2 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do not understand the win at all costs mentality at all. What satisfaction can people get from cheating to win? You know you cheated. You didn't beat the other people. That was you on drugs. Why can't people just train hard. There are no short-cuts to the top.

The elite athlete mentality has been that training hard isn't enough to win (and keep sponsors). When athletes line up at international track meets, they want to know they have a chance to compete. If you know you don't have a chance, you might as well go home cuz you won't be invited back.

Bottom line is that most other athletes are doping, winning, making millions and not getting caught. It's not an even playing field so to keep up, you adapt.

As for me, I really believed Marion Jones was innocent. She was really believable when she insisted she wasn't on the juice. Now, I don't know who to believe and I almost want everyone to be on the juice to make it an even playing field.

#36 SusanB

SusanB

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • 1239 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (Fidel @ Aug 2 2008, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The elite athlete mentality has been that training hard isn't enough to win (and keep sponsors). When athletes line up at international track meets, they want to know they have a chance to compete. If you know you don't have a chance, you might as well go home cuz you won't be invited back.

One of the good things the Hansons (I can't remember if it was Keith or Kevin) said was that when you line up you can't think about who's on what. They said to just pretend everyone is clean. Otherwise you have talked yourself out of the race before you have even begun (unless you are using it for extra motivation and are good enough with the head stuff not to use it as an excuse to let them go when the race gets tough). And you never know, because sometimes the clean one does win.

I don't buy the "everyone else is doing it". I think if the clean athletes give in the sport is gone. It probably is naive to think we (as a society) can go back, but I think we gotta keep trying.

#37 PDX Road Racer

PDX Road Racer

Presidential Candidate

• Members
  • 2484 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:17 AM

I predict:

MARATHON
G ó Samuel Wanjiru (Kenya)
S ó Martin Lel (Kenya)
B ó Ryan Hall (US)

4 x 100 Relay
G ó United States
S ó Jamaica
B ó Trinidad
He lived in an old barn,
And was happy to charm,
And tell a big yarn,

#38 PDX Road Racer

PDX Road Racer

Presidential Candidate

• Members
  • 2484 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:25 AM

NBC to start Olympic Opening Ceremony TV Coverage earlier on Friday

If you want to see every bit of the Opening Ceremony of the Beijing Olympics, take note. NBC will start coverage at 7:30 p.m. Friday instead of 8:00 p.m. Bob Costas and Matt Lauer will host.

David Neal, executive producer of NBC Sports, announced the change late Sunday. The reason: The network got a look at the dress rehearsals of the event staged by Zhang Yimo. He is best known as the director of "Raise the Red Lantern" and "House of Flying Daggers."

In a statement, Neal said: "After seeing two dress rehearsals in the last week, it's clear that this Opening Ceremony is simply spectacular, and we're thrilled to be able to add an extra half-hour to begin Friday at a special early start time. Zhang Yimou and his creative team have conceived a program that will captivate viewers in the U.S. and around the world."
He lived in an old barn,
And was happy to charm,
And tell a big yarn,

#39 PDX Road Racer

PDX Road Racer

Presidential Candidate

• Members
  • 2484 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:58 AM

I predict:

4 x 400 Relay
G ó United States
S ó Jamaica
B ó Bahamas

SHOT PUT
G ó Reese Hoffa (US)
S ó Christian Cantwell (US)
B ó Adam Nelson (US)
He lived in an old barn,
And was happy to charm,
And tell a big yarn,

#40 PDX Road Racer

PDX Road Racer

Presidential Candidate

• Members
  • 2484 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:44 AM

A nice article on where the Americans are training in China and their accommodations:

http://www.nytimes.c...amp;oref=slogin
He lived in an old barn,
And was happy to charm,
And tell a big yarn,

#41 Tgirl

Tgirl

jill of all (running) trades

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4215 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

I predict that the Russians don't win as many medals as they thought they would a week ago.
"The real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgivable, is the violence that we do to ourselves when we're too afraid to be who we really are." Lana Wachowski.

#42 PDX Road Racer

PDX Road Racer

Presidential Candidate

• Members
  • 2484 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:44 AM

This is odd to me. A small story about American cyclists apologizing for wearing face masks at the airport. I don't get it. I would imagine that by the time the Beijing Olympic Games are done, we would have seen hundreds of athletes from dozens of countries wearing face masks, especially on the bad days. As I understand it, thousands of Chinese wear face masks on a regular basis in factory-polluted cities like Beijing.

http://sportsillustr...ex.html?cnn=yes

Attached Files

He lived in an old barn,
And was happy to charm,
And tell a big yarn,

#43 PDX Road Racer

PDX Road Racer

Presidential Candidate

• Members
  • 2484 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:01 AM

Lopez Lomong, a 23-year-old competitor in the 1500 meter race, will lead the U.S. Olympic team as the flagbearer.

http://www.cnn.com/2...arer/index.html
He lived in an old barn,
And was happy to charm,
And tell a big yarn,

#44 billa

billa

Don't call it a comeback; I've been here for years.

• Members
  • 1254 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE (Rick Lovett @ Jul 28 2008, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As you may know, the Chinese have been experimenting with banning cars during the Olympics. Last summer they tried a few days of odd/even license plate rules. It's the first city-wide controlled experiment in air pollution ever run (and only possible, I'm sure, in China). There's an abstract somewhere on www.agu.org, from last fall's meeting. They got measurable improvement, though by no means 50 percent. More like 15 percent by my very vague recollection.

There's no way to train for dust and smog. My article on this will be posting in a few hours (in theory; it was also supposed to go up on Thursday, then Friday). I'll supply the link when it's available.

Perhaps they should destroy all vehicles with odd numbered license plates. I believe they've used a similar strategy in controlling their human population.
thru 4/21/2014 -
lifetime race count: 626
lifetime 1/2 marathon count: 
lifetime marathon count: 31 

PERSONAL RECORDS

BLOG

#45 PDX Road Racer

PDX Road Racer

Presidential Candidate

• Members
  • 2484 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:00 PM

Czech wins first gold in Air Rifling. Lioubov Galkina of Russia won the silver and Snjezana Pejcic of Croatia took the bronze.

China had really hoped to win the very first gold medal.

By the way, I couldn't stomach the opening ceremony. The TV commercials every 10 minutes killed it for me.

http://sportsillustr...ex.html?cnn=yes
He lived in an old barn,
And was happy to charm,
And tell a big yarn,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users