Clover

Reptile dysfunction

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4823 posts
  • Interests:5.25% and falling.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (andicamp @ Apr 15 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anything you can do with meat you can also do with tofu.

. . . except walk away feeling satisfied and well-fed. Sorry. My sister's a vegetarian and has pushed tofu on me six ways from Sunday, and it's better than nothing, I guess. But there's no way it's the culinary equivalent of meat.

"Why aren't you signed up for the 401k?"

"I'd never be able to run that far."

--Scott Adams, Dilbert

#18 Tony the Tiger

Tony the Tiger

Under the Radar Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:10 PM

Good topic Loofah!

I'm also an omnivore and have been known to eat grasshoppers along the Columbia River. My rule is to eat local and fresh. I am on a modified Mediteranean Diet and have many yummy recipes for another time. I prefer simple, wholesome meals and avoid simple starchy foods and processed foods (unless I have a craving). I do most of the cooking in my household with meals better tasting than most restaurants. I eat from my garden, prefer bitter, dark greens, love anything tomatoes and only use extra virgin olive oil for stovetop cooking. I enjoy BBQ'ing good meats and fish and occasionally make pressure cooked meals. My carb of choice is good quality pasta and good french bread. I never use margarine, only butter and use vinegar based salad dressings mostly. I rarely, if ever, drink soda pop, and I crave chocolate and fine cheese.
First Run 5K
Shamrock 15K

Running is a Lifestyle, Not a Job or an Event.

#19 Wendygofaster

Wendygofaster

Water Water Everywhere

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Running, running, Sebastian, running, running, Dave, running, My cat, and Sleep

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (figuresc8er @ Apr 15 2008, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Starbucks is an absolute.

yes.gif hyper.gif
"Mommy, are you sweaty?" - Sebastian Terris
"Did you win a medal?" - Sebastian Terris, after my recent training run (not race)
"We need to buy a new cat, this one scratches me" - Sebastian

If this running thing starts to feel to easy, you are probably doing it wrong.

#20 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (Wendygofaster @ Apr 15 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes.gif hyper.gif

You two aren't helping...MAN...I'm trying kick the habit here.

Marathon training skulker

#21 figuresc8er

figuresc8er

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3990 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (BrianH @ Apr 15 2008, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You two aren't helping...MAN...I'm trying kick the habit here.

hyper.gif I'm drinking one right now.
We all win together or we all lose together.

#22 C'est Bon

C'est Bon

Runnin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (loofahgirl @ Apr 15 2008, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it might be fun to share stuff on runner's diets.

Here's my deal--I stuck this in PHM, so I'll share it here. My dr. suggested trying out a gluten-free diet for a month. So I'm contemplating it--maybe. As soon as I finish the bagels that Kristin & Terry brought me back from NY. But that also negates the nice effect of the iron-dusted frosted shreedded wheat that is my usual breakfast. mmmmm.

I'm also contemplating going back on meat again. I think about it sometimes--and then I realize I don't really like meat. But maybe chicken every so often? I don't know. Right now I an a fish-eating vegetarian (pesce-tarian) who probably eats way too much sugar/carbs. Trust, vegetarians aren't always healthy. I've done the low-carb thing, though not while training, and all it does it make me want to eat an entire tray of cupcakes.

Oh, and I had started to go abck to school to get an MS in Clinical Nutrition, but I kind of abandoned that to move here/when I moved here, though I've been contemplating giving it a go again. Because I think about food. A lot. I should practice what I preach and eat more fruits and veggies rather than crackers and cookies. Sigh.

Anyway. What do you eat that works for you? What don't you eat? Interested in trying a food or restaurant? Recipes welcome; leave no food stone unturned.

I don't know if I can help you, but I'm a carboholic: especially pasta, but rice in all its various forms (risotto), too. I miss meat if I don't have any, and usually its chicken breasts, chicken sausage, or ground turkey. Pork tastes better than beef to me. Also, virtually every night I have a salad of spinach and/or lettuce heaped with whatever blanched veggies are in the house. I used to
eat a lot of sweets, but have a case of borderline high blood sugar now, so I'm trying to scale back. The fewer you eat, the fewer you crave.

I'm lucky (so far) not to have any food allergies, and my energy level is pretty high for an old woman, so I think I'm eating right.

#23 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

Bonnie, I'm not looking for help, I just thought it would be cool to have kind of a designated food thread.

do3nyr.jpg

#24 figuresc8er

figuresc8er

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3990 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

In all seriousness, I do not follow a strict diet. If I'm hungry for something, I'll eat it. Most of what I eat is all about "convenience." So if it's pre-made, I'm more likely to buy it except I avoid fast-food/drive-ins. To me, fast food is for the average American. Athlete's are not average Americans. I don't drink pop but that's not because it's not good for you. I just never developed a taste for it (I don't like the carbonation). I drink plenty of coffee, eat lots of chocolate and snack on scones or coffee cake. I eat smaller meals knowing that I will be snacking a lot. I eat bigger meals if I am planning on a race or just finished a long run. I choose lower fat when the option is given knowing that I'll make up for it in other meals/snacks.
I eat meat but never prepare it at home. My main protein when I'm not eating out comes from milk (lattes), cheese or peanut butter.
I rarely buy ice cream but I do like it. I don't eat donuts or cheesecake because I don't like them, but I'll eat just about any other dessert out there.
We all win together or we all lose together.

#25 hobey

hobey

Slacker

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (BrianH @ Apr 15 2008, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are there any good, creative, vegitarian resturants?
Seems like most are just the same ol same ol stuff. Of course
I guess you can only do so much with vegi's and tofu shy of tossing
different spices on them.

Go for the southern Indian and Lebanese places for primarily veg meals. We like Ya Hala & Chennai Masala here in town. Or pizza a la Ken's Artisan Pizza.

Chad already described our diet so I won't. thumbsup.png One of my favorite sources for healthy vegetarian recipes that actually taste good is http://www.101cookbooks.com.
Raquel
"The trouble with cycling up mountains is that after about four minutes, as soon as that first metallic-tasting, lactic gasp rasps inward at the back of your throat, any thoughts of appreciating your surroundings, contemplating the Continental way of life or otherwise entertaining an appropriate holiday mentality have been booted out of your brain by an all-encompassing him-or-you struggle to the death with the force of gravity." -- Tim Moore on the Tour de France

#26 allezvita

allezvita

motivationally challenged

• Red Lizards
  • 6677 posts
  • Interests:running, dogs, travel, good beer, good wine, good food

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (Clover @ Apr 15 2008, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
. . . except walk away feeling satisfied and well-fed. Sorry. My sister's a vegetarian and has pushed tofu on me six ways from Sunday, and it's better than nothing, I guess. But there's no way it's the culinary equivalent of meat.

can I get an AMEN, Sister Clover!!

I can't wait for summer farmers market fare...all the fresh veggies and fruit...mmmmm. Fresh herbs. Good cheese. Crusty bread.

But dang if I can't wait to make my tenderloin with bacon with roasted veggies (and bacon) again. I love risotto because you can do so many things with it.
You all WANT me to continue drinking coffee and diet coke. I survive on granny smith apples, yogurt and granola bars when I'm on call (hospital food is crap).
A good hoppy IPA, a fine red wine. The Macallan.

leftover pancakes and syrup are pretty darn good too.

I'm totally indifferent to "organic" foods. They cost more, may or may not be better for you.
"unless you're doing chest compressions, you always have time to go to the bathroom"

"bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi"
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept my word

Plan your dive, dive your plan

when life gives you lemons, add booze

#27 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8121 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (andicamp @ Apr 15 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anything you can do with meat you can also do with tofu.

Oh, give me a break. When's the last time anybody ever salivated over a nice, char-grilled NY Steak Tofu? rolleyes.gif

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#28 Tony the Tiger

Tony the Tiger

Under the Radar Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

I'm totally indifferent to "organic" foods. They cost more, may or may not be better for you.

If you stick with the fresh veggies and fruit, you're good. Local farmer's markets are great and they're probably as good as organic anyhoo, but they just don't go through the hoops to get certified. Better yet, I'll give you stuff from my veggie garden this summer, free of charge!
First Run 5K
Shamrock 15K

Running is a Lifestyle, Not a Job or an Event.

#29 allezvita

allezvita

motivationally challenged

• Red Lizards
  • 6677 posts
  • Interests:running, dogs, travel, good beer, good wine, good food

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (Tony the Tiger @ Apr 15 2008, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you stick with the fresh veggies and fruit, you're good. Local farmer's markets are great and they're probably as good as organic anyhoo, but they just don't go through the hoops to get certified. Better yet, I'll give you stuff from my veggie garden this summer, free of charge!

Dude, you're on!!
"unless you're doing chest compressions, you always have time to go to the bathroom"

"bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi"
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept my word

Plan your dive, dive your plan

when life gives you lemons, add booze

#30 BrewDad

BrewDad

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (Tim @ Apr 15 2008, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, give me a break. When's the last time anybody ever salivated over a nice, char-grilled NY Steak Tofu? rolleyes.gif

hyper.gif drool.gif

poke.gif

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Steven Wright

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users