177 replies to this topic

#166 rizzo

rizzo

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3609 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:07 AM

my first p & s - well at least 1/3 of a p & s. that was loads of fun. thanks for organizing torrey. cheer.png

#167 Clover

Clover

Reptile dysfunction

• Red Lizards
  • 4823 posts
  • Interests:5.25% and falling.

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

Holy wow, this was fun. I think I took home four pounds of mud, if not more. I got to put in some good miles, catch up with Kelbelle, meet Mercedes, and catch up a bit with Sarah and the indomitable Dodger the Mud-Hound.

I stuck to the short option 'cause we had some dog-related delays and I figured the first group was long gone, so I might as well cut out and seek food and warmth with my group. We rescued some dogs, hit Shari's for breakfast, and had a swell time.

My running partner wanted to do a 16-miler this morning, and who can say no to that? Now I am REALLY glad I didn't take the long-run option yesterday. I'm a bit sore.

I wanted to catch the movie at Riz's with y'all, but fell asleep over the op-ed page without even bothering to get out of my muddy clothes. Nothing like ringing out the new year in style, right?

"Why aren't you signed up for the 401k?"

"I'd never be able to run that far."

--Scott Adams, Dilbert

#168 allezvita

allezvita

motivationally challenged

• Red Lizards
  • 6677 posts
  • Interests:running, dogs, travel, good beer, good wine, good food

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:27 PM

Dodger has obviously been a student at the Dudeman Magellan School of Navigation

(shhhh, I heard that Torrey found a lot of "walking hills" whistle.png )
"unless you're doing chest compressions, you always have time to go to the bathroom"

"bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi"
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept my word

Plan your dive, dive your plan

when life gives you lemons, add booze

#169 Clover

Clover

Reptile dysfunction

• Red Lizards
  • 4823 posts
  • Interests:5.25% and falling.

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

Insane or inspired? I dunno. But I'm impressed. You're an animal. And by "animal" I don't mean, say, a sloth. I mean something crazed and a little feral that travels long distances on little rest in adverse conditions.

QUOTE (Aaron @ Dec 31 2007, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jacob--maybe a little bit of both? Everything in moderation... whistle.png

Recently I've had an urge to go for a very long run (sorta like Forrest Gump, but not really), and when I discovered I had to work this morning I gradually developed a scheme for my own trail adventure. Admittedly, I haven't been training much (honestly! 2 weeks ago was the first time I've run 6 days in a row since mid July), but hey, I like to run. I knew I could do 30, but what if I did it twice huh.gif ? So I left my vehicle at Newberry Rd on Friday night (it's a black Saturn VUE, you probably saw it this morning), stocked with supplies, including a sleeping bag and those little disposable warming packs, ran down to Linnton, and caught a bus home. Then dark and early Saturday morning I biked to the MAX, MAXed to the zoo, and ran the Wildwood to my car. On Sunday, I retraced my steps (more slowly this time) to the zoo, and biked home in a half-frozen thunderstorm brr.gif . Then I caught a cab back to my car ohmy.gif (just kidding! I got a ride)

Notes: I didn't have much breakfast the first day, and didn't bring enough food, so I seriously bonked shortly before Germantown, where I bummed an apple off a guy in a Subaru ("Gee, I kind of feel responsible for you now... I'm just gonna go up the hill a bit, but I can give you a ride when I return if you need it" "Oh, I'll be fine..."). I can just see myself running into him randomly somewhere in the future ("Hey, aren't you that guy...?"). Anyway, the last miles to Newberry ended up being OK, just very slow.

The second day was a little rough to begin, especially in the dark, with snow. It was like trying to start an old lawn mower, as every 15-20 minutes I just really wanted to stop. Plus my kneecap started feeling like it would fall off. But I always had to go a little bit farther, until after a couple hours I rallied, sped up a little, and finally settled into a tolerable groove for the last 20+ miles. Fortunately, I know the Wildwood's southern half much better than its northern end, which I think helped the final miles seem shorter.

Now, my ankles and knees are somewhat painful. I despise stairs. But I don't feel that bad. Goodnight sleep.png

"Why aren't you signed up for the 401k?"

"I'd never be able to run that far."

--Scott Adams, Dilbert

#170 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10383 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (rizzo @ Jan 1 2008, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my first p & s - well at least 1/3 of a p & s. that was loads of fun. thanks for organizing torrey. cheer.png

Same here. Thanks Torrey, and good call on the Snickers! drool.gif
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#171 allezvita

allezvita

• Red Lizards
  • 6677 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

hey-where was the food?

His Mud-Houndness is still asleep puppeh.gif sleep.png
"unless you're doing chest compressions, you always have time to go to the bathroom"

#172 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10790 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (allezvita @ Jan 1 2008, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey-where was the food?

If you didn't find the food, you cut the course wink.gif Unless, of course, someone was collecting things before everyone made it through.

Someone asked about the mileage for the 1/3'ers. Those who ran over to the Trillium Trail (where the stash was located) ran ~11.75 miles. I'm not sure how many people cut up sooner (either on Ridge Trail, Firelane 7A, Oil Line), but I know a few people up on the front half started going up on the fire lanes (7a). That would have been right at 10 miles.

Where did everyone else cut up?

#173 allezvita

allezvita

• Red Lizards
  • 6677 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:56 PM

ahh....we went up Firelane 7A...the four of us in the red lantern group weren't exactly sure where to turn up the trail.

#174 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10790 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (allezvita @ Jan 1 2008, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ahh....we went up Firelane 7A...the four of us in the red lantern group weren't exactly sure where to turn up the trail.

Guess you got your 10 miles, but not your powerade and snickers bars...

#175 allezvita

allezvita

• Red Lizards
  • 6677 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:38 PM

felt like a lot more than 10! But I had a Diet Coke and banana bread at the end!

#176 markiemo

markiemo

Director of Group Runs

• Board Members
  • 3635 posts
  • Interests:Trail running, biking, hanging with reptiles, camping, traveling,
    beach bumming, enjoying the endless string of Saturdays...

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

Well, I cut up 7A and when I got to Firelane 7 I figured the cars were to the right but turned left thinking "I wonder what's this way? Maybe the food stash!". So I ran down to the trail again and coincidently met Mary Ann and Tucson Phil. They were going to pick up the food leftovers so I tagged along. Once we got to the stash we ate our fill them waited 15 minutes or so and figured everyone who was coming had come through already. We grabbed the remains and the trash and huffed it up what I guess was Trillium Trail (it wasn't marked and really wasn't much of a trail). The cars were .25 miles up the goat path.

#177 C'est Bon

C'est Bon

Runnin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:47 AM

I quit at mile 10, too. Thought about continuing the extra mile with Marianne and Phil for the Snickers, but my legs were really shot and the right knee was a little sore after slipping in the mud and going down at around 5 mi.

It was a real adventure, and thank you, Torrey, for organizing it!

I'm glad the little gray dogs were taken care of. They insisted on going all the way to Trillium together instead of going back to the parking lot with me. They deserve good homes.

#178 Mike Sanders

Mike Sanders

Runnin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Running, Cycling, Outdoor Fun

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

Thanx for posting the Purge and Splurge pictures of all of you on the Wildwood Trail...those were some of my favorite trails and look to return there some day! Man, I love that trail!
Mike Sanders
aka "Sarge"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users