do3nyr.jpg

#32 gnupaul

gnupaul

Gila Monster

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1956 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:57 AM

My injury solution: surgery. Scheduled for Oct 15. Thank god.

#33 timknox

timknox

Komodo Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2237 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (gnupaul @ Sep 3 2007, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My injury solution: surgery. Scheduled for Oct 15. Thank god.

Paul, what is the surgery? Do you have details on how long your recovery will be? Hope all goes well.

#34 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6047 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:21 PM

Walked 3.5 miles today up and down hills and felt pretty good. thumbsup.png

do3nyr.jpg

#35 kelbelle

kelbelle

http://blog.oregonlive.com/runoregon

• Red Lizards
  • 4802 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:49 PM

Professor, I hope that your surgery goes according to plan and that you begin to heal really fast. If you want to borrow the 20 questions game that Robert and Christie gave me just let me know. It's addictive and was our H2C van mascot.
Dear runners: come to a group run, say hi to us at a race, or just post on the message board!

Check out our group run, race calendars, and news on local running on the <a href="http://blog.oregonli....com/runoregon" target="_blank">RunOregon Blog</a> by me, Joe Dudman, Jim Mattern, Marianne Jones, Marya Van Metre, Jen Sotolongo, and Jonathan Marcus.

<a href="http://www.facebook.....com/runoregon" target="_blank">Check out RunOregon on facebook.</a>

#36 overflow

overflow

Red Lizard? What's that?

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:40 AM

Oops, I'm a little late with last week's training. It was a crazy week anyway since we were getting ready for our Labor Day backpacking trip (The 3 Sister's Loop rocks!)

Sunday - 9 mile hike, no groans from the leg - yay!
Monday - off
Tuesday - Circuit Training and 10 laps in the pool, kickboard only (per Brian H)
Wednesday - off
Thrusday - Circuit Training and 15 min. elliptical
Friday - off (on our way to Sisters!)
Saturday - 13 miles with ~30 lb. pack (again - no leg pain, yay!)
You know you've been in the woods too long when caterpillars start falling out of your hair.

"If you believe, you can achieve!" - Kim Hansen

#37 figuresc8er

figuresc8er

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3990 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:11 AM

Loofah and I tried a deep water aquarobics class yesterday. It was not too bad of a workout. They have you take your pulse a few times during the class. Mine was always around 130, so it's obviously not too intense but a good workout all the same.
I had to stop twice because I was having trouble breathing. I couldn't figure it out until one of the other swimmers said I was not exhaling enough. I tried doing some exhaling and sure enough, I could inhale again.
I think I was subcounciously inhaling a lot to keep my torso expanded to keep the water belt from riding up too far. It fit snugly, it just rides up in the water.
Always learning new things (keeps the mind sharp).
Anyway, it was fun. We'll do it again.
We all win together or we all lose together.

#38 loof

loof

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:07 AM

Heeeeeere's mine -

Mon - Light weights & core
Tues - Core & weights in a.m., and in pm.: 5 min water jogging, 5 min swimming, 1 wateraerobics class (these classes are 60 min btw)
Wed - Unintented off day. Intended to go to yoga but then ended up drinking wine and eating panini instead.
Thurs - Wateraerobics class
Fri - . Core in a.m. And in p.m.: 40 min in pool, consisting of water running intervals, "cross country skiing," and jogging, plus balance work.
Sat - Wateraerobics class with Shannon. HR was up to 120 at most, probably should have been working harder but I always forget what comparable rate is on land. But I'm not really vigilant with heart rate while running either...? Should I care? Nah.
Sun - Off. Going wine-tasting and pizza eating. happy.png

It has been 7 weeks as of today. I'm feeling like I've pretty much reconciled that I will not be jumping into training nor likely racing the rest of the year. Im actually ok with that. I want to get back to enjoying running and doing it right. The worst part is the inability to plan for things. I have to remind myself sometimes that I need to take it way slow.

Besides I am having way too much fun watching Bean attack a shoelace. There is something very Zen in that.

p.s. Shannon those water belts always ride way up. That's why I used the other kind and cinched the hell out of it. thumbsup.png

do3nyr.jpg

#39 overflow

overflow

Red Lizard? What's that?

• Red Lizards
  • 948 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:11 AM

Loofah - where do you go to do water aerobics?

Sun - 16 mile backpack including a climb to the top of South Sister
Mon - 15 mile backpack
Tues - 9 mile backpack (3 mph with no breaks because we got dumped on with very, very cold rain)
Wed - off
Thurs - off
Fri - circuit training and 10 laps in the pool
Sat - off

I should be getting my orthotics this week, which means I can try to run again. Will see how it goes. I only have 1 month before Victoria now..
You know you've been in the woods too long when caterpillars start falling out of your hair.

#40 loof

loof

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:19 AM

Christie it sounds like you're doing really well! thumbsup.png

I usually do wateraerobics at the Emanuel pool. They changed the schedule slightly; classes are from 4-5 Mon and Wed, and 5-6 Tues and Thurs, so I'll probably only be able to do it 2x/week there. The class Shannon and I did was at Mt. Scott Community Pool in SE, but they are closing for a few weeks starting on Sept 16 or 17 I think? I liked that pool a lot though, I'd go back.

I may keep doing water stuff when I start running again, as sort of an easy or x-training day.

do3nyr.jpg

#41 figuresc8er

figuresc8er

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3990 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:12 AM

Week of Sep 3-9 included:

1 hour of water aerobics, 2 hours of elliptical, 3 hours of hiking hills and 132 miles of cycling.

The variety is nice and all, but it's not running. (sigh)
We all win together or we all lose together.

#42 loof

loof

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:03 PM

Week ending today:

Monday - 45 min total in pool - water running & swimming
Tuesday - Wateraerobics + 10 min water running
Wednesday - Core
Thursday - Wateraerobics
Friday - Land ho! Rode exercise bike at gym, gentle, 35 min. Was weirdly tough.
Saturday - Core & weights. Lots of weights. I'll probably be sore tomorrow.

Things I've noticed this week:

Leg has felt alternately strong and twingey. A little bone, but more muscular. Oddly enough, in the anterior tibia, where I never seemed to have any issues (my problem before the sfx was primarily posterior tibial area).

Oh, and I did calf raises and they didn't hurt.

And, even better...I can hop on the affected leg. Not like I can on the good one, but still...I can hop! Ok. I'll stop hopping now.

I still plan to take several (about 4) more weeks off. I am so not at 100%. I want to feel like I'm 100% ... and then take another week off.

But although all that is a few weeks away, I'm actually feeling a little nervous to return to running. Like I'm setting up to jinx myself. Is that normal? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

do3nyr.jpg

#43 allezvita

allezvita

motivationally challenged

• Red Lizards
  • 6677 posts
  • Interests:running, dogs, travel, good beer, good wine, good food

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (loofahgirl @ Sep 15 2007, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But although all that is a few weeks away, I'm actually feeling a little nervous to return to running. Like I'm setting up to jinx myself. Is that normal? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Carin, I was totally freaked about starting running again after mine. After spending weeks in utter agony, I felt like I was on cloud 9 just when I could walk without pain (a good 10 weeks). Once I could walk the dogs without pain, it was much better. I don't think I did anything in the realm of running for about 7 months. But by then, I was in the midst of moving here and getting to spend quality time in Rapid City. I was doing more cycling and swimming at that point anyway.

I think mine was a lot worse than yours, though. Just take is easy when you start back on your big come back. I'm very happy you're feeling so much better.
"unless you're doing chest compressions, you always have time to go to the bathroom"

"bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi"
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept my word

Plan your dive, dive your plan

when life gives you lemons, add booze

#44 overflow

overflow

Red Lizard? What's that?

• Red Lizards
  • 948 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (loofahgirl @ Sep 15 2007, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel the same way you do... The PT suggested that before I do my first run I walk as fast as I can for 2 miles around a track (or some other very flat surface). She said if this hurt there was no way I could run a mile without pain, and if it didn't I should try for the mile run. It's going to be a very slow recovery path. dry.gif

#45 timknox

timknox

Komodo Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2237 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:24 AM

Carin, when I was coming back last year I used the treadmill. Start off walking then speed it up to a slow run. I set a maximum time, like 10-15 minutes initially. And I stopped the instant I felt pain. I started off 3 days/week and gradually increased the time and frequency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users