• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#16 julz

julz

50k sprinter!

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts
  • Interests:Running, Horses, Rabbits, Kayaking, wine tasting, 80's new wave, yes I'm old

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE (overflow @ Aug 25 2007, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How was Silver Falls? it was gorgeous, haddn't ben there in a while, the water levels are a little low, but it is the end of summer, looks like the leaves on some of the deciduaous trees are getting ready to start changing colors. we had the whole park to ourselves for a while.

artificial air freshener is toxic!!

#17 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6047 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:55 AM

Here's my injury week, ending today (at least I'm pretty sure this is what I did; I haven't been as vigilant about keeping track now that I am not running):

Monday: Water aerobics + ~ 10 min water running
Tuesday: Core & weights
Wednesday: Water aerobics + ~ 10 min water running + balance exercises
Thursday: Core & weights
Friday: Off
Saturday: Core & Weights -- also walked about 1-1.5ish miles in sneakers with my orthodics in them. Bottom of foot hurt by end. (Really curious WTF is up. Awaiting MRI scheduling.) Stretches for calf and IT. Balance work.
Sunday: Off

I've been noticing that where the hot spot was on my bone scan, about 1-2 inches below my knee, is more twingey than it used to be. Does an sfx sort of "ping" as it heals? Also my IT band and right glute area has been very tight. I've been rolling, but I think it's time for a massage.

Julz, kayaking kind of scares me. It's a little claustrophobic, IMHO.

do3nyr.jpg

#18 julz

julz

50k sprinter!

• Red Lizards
  • 1511 posts
  • Interests:Running, Horses, Rabbits, Kayaking, wine tasting, 80's new wave, yes I'm old

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:04 PM

I was thinking of IK's where you're not locked in, the other kind scares me too. sounds like your xtraining is going well. maybe you're a little more achy in gen due to your body getting used to new excercise routine, using other muscles other than running muscles?

#19 overflow

overflow

Red Lizard? What's that?

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (julz @ Aug 26 2007, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking of IK's where you're not locked in, the other kind scares me too. sounds like your xtraining is going well. maybe you're a little more achy in gen due to your body getting used to new excercise routine, using other muscles other than running muscles?

Robert and I would love to go kayaking around Ross Island with you, but we don't have any kayaking experience. Do you have to take a class before they'll let you rent a kayak here?

Oh, and Loofah - I posted on the Bright White Blobs thread that when I've broken bones in the past they've gotten sore at times, and itchy at times during the healing process. I think it's part of healing, but it can also get sore in different weather conditions. For me, humidity always caused it.

#20 julz

julz

50k sprinter!

• Red Lizards
  • 1511 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:00 PM

I don't know if you need a class or not, I'll have to look into that, what times are good for you? weekends better than weekdays? anyhow I'll have to find out some details and start a new thread in the next week or so so I don't commit a thread hijack crime here lol.

#21 overflow

overflow

Red Lizard? What's that?

• Red Lizards
  • 948 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (julz @ Aug 27 2007, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if you need a class or not, I'll have to look into that, what times are good for you? weekends better than weekdays? anyhow I'll have to find out some details and start a new thread in the next week or so so I don't commit a thread hijack crime here lol.

Next weekend, sept. 8-9 is wide open for us. Anytime is good!

#22 loof

loof

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

when I've broken bones in the past they've gotten sore at times, and itchy at times during the healing process. I think it's part of healing, but it can also get sore in different weather conditions

I did see that. Thanks for the feedback!

do3nyr.jpg

#23 HappyTrails

HappyTrails

Salamander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:37 PM

For what it is worth, I've been relegated to nonrunning for about 2 months now. I've recently been able to cycle with my indoor trainer (no worries of falling, cars, dogs...) and feel like I can get at least a decent workout while I heal. Not the most exciting, but I can do it in the garage while my kids play outside- at least mom isn't so edgy this way. (I get "antsy" and depressed when I can't run...) Also, as I am getting stronger again, I can do some of the more demanding spin workouts. It feels like I am doing something to keep some amount of fitness. (The pool running gets hard to coordinate with my husband having to watch the kids.) Definitely doing core work, too.

#24 loof

loof

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:07 AM

HT, what is your injury?

do3nyr.jpg

#25 HappyTrails

HappyTrails

Salamander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (loofahgirl @ Aug 28 2007, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HT, what is your injury?

Sigh. That is the million dollar question. At the present, it appears to be related to IT band friction syndrome, but was originally just supposed to be a MCL strain- the pain is on the medial (inside) side of my knee and primarily during the recovery part of my stride, not impact. I couldn't have a normal overuse injury, no sirrreee. It is getting better at a glacial pace, but I'm meeting with my chiro & coach Friday to see what's next.

It was just one of those things that came on after I did too much- I should have known better. To say I've learned my lesson is putting it mildly.

Reading about your experience has been helpful! Felt a little better to know I'm not the only one not out there right now.
Although I don't get a cool lable for my injury... happy.gif

#26 julz

julz

50k sprinter!

• Red Lizards
  • 1511 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (overflow @ Aug 27 2007, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Next weekend, sept. 8-9 is wide open for us. Anytime is good!

I think I can make that work

#27 overflow

overflow

Red Lizard? What's that?

• Red Lizards
  • 948 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (HappyTrails @ Aug 28 2007, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sigh. That is the million dollar question.

I know exactly how you feel. I've been a non-runner for three months now, and when people ask what's wrong with me I can only say..."I don't really know, my knee just hurts." I think I'm getting better, but recovery has been so slow it's hard to tell. Blah, blah, blah...
You know you've been in the woods too long when caterpillars start falling out of your hair.

"If you believe, you can achieve!" - Kim Hansen

#28 figuresc8er

figuresc8er

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3990 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (overflow @ Aug 27 2007, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when I've broken bones in the past they've gotten sore at times, and itchy at times during the healing process. I think it's part of healing

I got some itchiness right at the fx site yesterday and was excited because I know that can be a sign of healing.
We all win together or we all lose together.

#29 loof

loof

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:13 PM

Here's my injury week:

Monday - 10 min water running. & water aerobics class. I get phemomenally hungry after this class and the water work, bt. WTF?
Tuesday - Off
Wednesday - Unintentional off day, pool was closed due to chemical issues and when I got home I didn't feel up to anything else.
Thursday - 10 min water running. & water aerobics class.
Friday - Core work & stretching & balance exercises. Balance work is going well on injured side which is neat. Also 1.5ish mile walk & massage. Massage guy says leg no longer feels like water balloon and he can actually palpitate the muscles. Good sign.
Saturday - Upper body weights & stretching.

Overall I am feeling better. Foot still hurts, though not as much. I FINALLY got my MRI scheduled for next week, which will hopefully clear up any other questions I had about tendons, et.al.

Leg has not felt twingey in the sfx site this past week. But I have noticed that my posterior tibial tendon area, the area I've been having on & off issues with since March, is making itself known more than it has in a long while. Is this the ghost of injuries past trying to heal? Any advice? I'm pretty sure that's where it all started, so I'm curious about the order in which the body heals: the more acute first? Does the body triage itself?

I've been off 6 weeks as of tomorrow (Sun). I know sfx is still not healed, I still feel it slightly when I get up after a while sitting or going down stairs (after a whiile sitting). But I actually went down the stairs fairly quickly today and it felt ok. I can also walk faster (I'm not intending to walk faster, but I have noticed that I now can keep up with Justin, who is a fast walker -- and I normally am a fast walker as well). I'm pretty freakin happy with that. Oh and also I randomly turned my ankle today, on the bad leg, but it doesn't bother me at all.

I'm trying to do positive visualization and all that shizz. It might even be helping. thumbsup.png

I think I might continue with the water stuff even after I'm healed. I definitely sense a difference in upper body strength. The resistance in the water can be kinda fun.

do3nyr.jpg

#30 Aaron

Aaron

Repressed Sprinter

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (loofahgirl @ Sep 1 2007, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Monday - 10 min water running. & water aerobics class. I get phemomenally hungry after this class and the water work, bt. WTF?

When I was injured in college, which was often, pool workouts usually made me ravenous, too. I figure it was from all the excitement of trying not to drown. But I've also read (in unreliable sources) that swimming tends to increase your appetite more than other exercise.Not sure how that works, but people say it... Anyway, it's good to hear you're enjoying the pool.

It's a simple question of weight ratios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users