#226 Tony the Tiger

Tony the Tiger

Under the Radar Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (allezvita @ Mar 12 2007, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I could type more if I hadn't just spit coffee all over the keyboard from laughing so hard. That is hysterical! Which Joe is going to Lucky Clover?
Someone's really good at photoshop.
First Run 5K
Shamrock 15K

Running is a Lifestyle, Not a Job or an Event.

#227 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10383 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (Fidel @ Mar 13 2007, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You mention the 'Street Mile'. Are you referring to the Waterfront Mile or the Eugene Challenge Mile?

I'm sure TK is referring to the Waterfront Mile.

QUOTE (Trail Kelly @ Mar 13 2007, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In NJ, where I grew up, we'd mostly train outdoors in the winter and it was hard to find a place to practice for indoor track (which is really fun, btw). Anyway, my coach took us to a plowed parking lot at the historical center near school. He marked off a 330 yard curved course and we did repeats of those -- 330s, 660s, 990, 1230s. The trick was learning how to make a very fast pivot at each end of the curve for the longer repeats. You could make up a couple of steps on people with a good turn.

We also did runs inside the school around the 2nd floor hallways (which were formed into a rectangle), but the most fun was running long repeats down the hallway. When we had to do out & backs, sometimes we've pivot, but often we'd do a "jump turn" where you'd jump up and push off on one of the lockers and turn mid-air. Those were fun! But the coaches made us stop when someone got hurt. sad.png

Joe, you ran that street mile they had -- didn't that seem like a very LONG half-mile straightaway? blink.gif Of course, on Sunday I was reminded that the very longest straightaway ever is the finish of the Shamrock run (does that EVER end?) A close second is the long boring stretch on my Monday runs with Jenny & Pam in Vancouver. You know, lots of local elementary schools have painted on "tracks" on their playgrounds which could be used for a meet -- as long as you didn't do anything really long!

That east coast urban training stuff sounds like a lot of fun!

Yes, that Waterfront race did make a half mile seem never-ending, but I actually would have preferred a completely straight point-to-point course to that out-and-back with a sharp 180 around the cone. That turn really broke up your momentum. About 10 years ago there was a street mile on Front Avenue near Albers Mill that was a straight shot, which was fast and fun. (There was a 10k after the mile, and of course I had to do both. The mile/10k same-morning double is not ideal! wacko.gif )

The fastest and best street mile course is the Eugene Challenge Mile, because although it's out and back, it does a big loop through a neighborhood and there are no sharp turns, and there's just enough straight to make it fast, but not enough to make it boring.
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#228 grumpyjoe

grumpyjoe

Runnin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Drinking coffee until I am hallucinating!

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Joe D. @ Mar 12 2007, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had no idea I'd be doctored so much. It's not easy having your own clone running around loose unsure.png ermm.png

I'm always afraid I'll run into myself somewhere! grin.png

Sorry bout all the photoshop Joe blush.gif I hope you don't mind thumbsup.png I did see a good pic of Torrey that might need some work...
“If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users