371 replies to this topic

#31 Hockey Puck

Hockey Puck

Power Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:03 AM

No, they're really not bad at all. Compared to Terwilliger, Mt. Tabor, Rocky Butte, etc., the Newton Hills are NOTHING. They're only bad if you've already trashed your quads over the previous 16 miles worth of downhills.

As I've said before, make sure you do your long runs on a course that simulates what you'll face in Boston. Also, do this workout a few times before the race - 2 mile warmup, start at the Chart House on Terwilliger. Run downhill towards Duniway, hard, for 2.5 minutes, immediately turn around and run uphill back to the Chart House hard. Recover for two minutes. Repeat 8-10 times. 2 mile cooldown.

Toughen up your quads and you won't even realize you've gone over all the Newton Hills.

I'm glad the course I get to simulate is on Boston. :-)
"Triumph over the adversity is what the marathon is all about. Therefore, you know that there isn't anything in life you can't triumph after that." - Kathrine Switzer

#32 lmtortor

lmtortor

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Running, rock-climbing, biking, camping, playing piano/singing, eating ice cream

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

I totally laughed at Julie's comment. I think it was the massive tailwind that had me feeling so good.

Yeah, Tim. That is a 'PR' for 800s for me. Feeling good!

Tim is also right (damn you, Tim for always being right) about the course. The hills are definitely substantial, but they won't kill you unless your quads are trashed. I distinctly remember the last time I ran Boston, and I finished HB hill thinking "when is this Heartbreak hill thing?"

The hills are much worse in reverse (the way I start for these out-and-back runs). Once you get past mile 21, there is a HUGE downhill by Boston College and the rest is a slow downhill with the exception for a few, very small hills.

#33 Hockey Puck

Hockey Puck

Power Lizard

• Members
  • 1181 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

I totally laughed at Julie's comment. I think it was the massive tailwind that had me feeling so good.

Yeah, Tim. That is a 'PR' for 800s for me. Feeling good!

Tim is also right (damn you, Tim for always being right) about the course. The hills are definitely substantial, but they won't kill you unless your quads are trashed. I distinctly remember the last time I ran Boston, and I finished HB hill thinking "when is this Heartbreak hill thing?"

The hills are much worse in reverse (the way I start for these out-and-back runs). Once you get past mile 21, there is a HUGE downhill by Boston College and the rest is a slow downhill with the exception for a few, very small hills.

LT,
Running 14 tomorrow at 6:45am from PRU. IM me if your interested. Where are you living?

Not sure my plan Friday but there will be some sort of workout.

I'm switching my long run from Sunday to Saturday and have 24 on the docket. my wife is driving me out 24 miles on boston course.
"Triumph over the adversity is what the marathon is all about. Therefore, you know that there isn't anything in life you can't triumph after that." - Kathrine Switzer

#34 Dreed

Dreed

Cruise Director

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

LT,
Running 14 tomorrow at 6:45am from PRU. IM me if your interested. Where are you living?

Not sure my plan Friday but there will be some sort of workout.

I'm switching my long run from Sunday to Saturday and have 24 on the docket. my wife is driving me out 24 miles on boston course.

Hey Bill-

Sadly- I am jealous that you get to run 24 on the course. Easy run or some GP miles in there too?

dan

#35 Hockey Puck

Hockey Puck

Power Lizard

• Members
  • 1181 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

Dan,

Not sure. Did 9 today at 6:39 pace which felt easy and it depends on my Friday workout. I'd like to do some go mikes but this could be an 88 mike week so I want to be careful. It might just be a fat burning run. Somewhat slow and long

#36 Hockey Puck

Hockey Puck

Power Lizard

• Members
  • 1181 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

iPhone issues. Goal mikes not go mikes

#37 BrianD

BrianD

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

No, they're really not bad at all. Compared to Terwilliger, Mt. Tabor, Rocky Butte, etc., the Newton Hills are NOTHING. They're only bad if you've already trashed your quads over the previous 16 miles worth of downhills.

As I've said before, make sure you do your long runs on a course that simulates what you'll face in Boston. Also, do this workout a few times before the race - 2 mile warmup, start at the Chart House on Terwilliger. Run downhill towards Duniway, hard, for 2.5 minutes, immediately turn around and run uphill back to the Chart House hard. Recover for two minutes. Repeat 8-10 times. 2 mile cooldown.

Toughen up your quads and you won't even realize you've gone over all the Newton Hills.

Sure, you share this workout NOW... :-)

#alreadysavedforBoston2013training plan
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people." - Bill Bowerman
"A bear with determination will defeat a dreamy gazelle every time" - s jurek
One day I may not be able to run. Today is not that day.

#38 Melissa83

Melissa83

Director At Large

• Board Members
  • 1019 posts
  • Interests:Sub- 3 hours or bust.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

Sure, you share this workout NOW... :-)

#alreadysavedforBoston2013training plan

Remind me to sleep in that day. That sounds awful.

#39 BrianD

BrianD

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

Remind me to sleep in that day. That sounds awful.

After having my quads turned to hamburger despite doing hill repeats that training cycle, I'll take my chances. :-)
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people." - Bill Bowerman
"A bear with determination will defeat a dreamy gazelle every time" - s jurek
One day I may not be able to run. Today is not that day.

#40 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6047 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

Some of us don't give a whit about what our Boston time is; we're just so happy we can be even running the damn thing. That said, we want to not embarrass ourselves on the course.

Also, do this workout a few times before the race - 2 mile warmup, start at the Chart House on Terwilliger. Run downhill towards Duniway, hard, for 2.5 minutes, immediately turn around and run uphill back to the Chart House hard. Recover for two minutes. Repeat 8-10 times. 2 mile cooldown.

Okay, so then is the warmup running up Terwilliger?

do3nyr.jpg

#41 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8121 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

Some of us don't give a whit about what our Boston time is; we're just so happy we can be even running the damn thing. That said, we want to not embarrass ourselves on the course.

Okay, so then is the warmup running up Terwilliger?

Yes. And to clarify, hard is not all out. I'd say ~10 secs. per mile FASTER than MP down and right at MP back up. The two minute recoveries can be jogging around in circles in the Chart House parking lot.

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#42 Runman

Runman

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

Yes. And to clarify, hard is not all out. I'd say ~10 secs. per mile FASTER than MP down and right at MP back up. The two minute recoveries can be jogging around in circles in the Chart House parking lot.

Why not use the entire hill? That will more fully stress your quads.

What I would recommend is running down hill x-seconds per mile faster than your MP (go out at MP effort which will lead to a corresponding mile time), but uphill should be perceived effort at most which means slower than MP. Another option would be to run up at MP and then at the top run down at MP effort, which would be faster than MP because of the downhill. The recovery could be 2 minutes, but that seems a little short for the length of the repeats and would end up quickly leading to you running while not recovered. I would recommend 4-5 minutes. As for the number of repeats, since they are ~4 miles I wouldn't do more than 5 in a single session since that would be 20+ miles (without accounting for any warm-up) and probably do 2-3.

Here is a suggestion on this type of workout - start your long run at the Charthouse. Run up to Fairmount and then circle Council Crest and drop down Vista. Run a majority of your run around NW, NE or SE and then end your last 5 miles by running up Tewilliger at MP and then at the Charthouse turnaround and run back down to Duniway at MP effort. If you hit the bottom of Tewilliger for the last 5 miles anywhere from 13-18 miles into your run you will have a good approximation of the degree of exhaustion you will be working under in Boston.

#43 DC2PDX

DC2PDX

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Running (obviously), hiking, backpacking, horses, reading, traveling, cooking and baking.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

Hi everyone,

Well I just typed something up and lost it (doh!) so here's the abbreviated version. I was out of town for 10 days in RI and Boston-fell in love with Boston, such a great city and love running on the Charles!

Week of 1/16
1/16-easy 3 miles
1/17-30 minute Tempo run. GPS recorded it in miles although I was doing it in 10 minute increments so these miles are a bit off. 9:37, 8:31, 8:51, 9:38 (last 5 minutes)
1/18-5 miles
1/19-3 miles easy
1/20-rest/flying to RI
1/21-Snow day-way too much snow to run! Went sledding instead.

Week of 1/22
1/22-rest/time with family
1/23-6 miles
1/24-rest/time with family
1/25-7.25 miles
1/26-4.25 miles
1/27-rest/walked around Boston
1/28-6.75 miles
1/29-rest/flying home

I have to admit that when I thought about writing this up on the message board for all to see I was a bit embarassed because obviously I wasn't as consistent with my running as I should have been. It's hard to choose running over family...I know that's not really a great excuse because I could get up earlier but running at 6am while on vacation sounds like about as much fun as a full body wax. I tried to make up for missed runs by running longer than normal on days I did run.

And I've noticed that I'm getting faster and developing better endurance! I ran that 6.75 miler at an 8:53 average pace even counting the warm up mile at 9:18. I'm pretty happy about that. And the quicker pace feels easier. I should disclose that my current marathon PR is 4:25:58. It was definitely inspirational and fun hanging out with LT in Boston! I went down to the finish line of the Boston Marathon to get some pictures and dream about crossing it for real in the race...someday!
The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself.
-Mary Schmich

#44 Doug

Doug

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Members
  • 7221 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

I'm out for the time being with another itb injury... :thumbsd:

#45 Hockey Puck

Hockey Puck

Power Lizard

• Members
  • 1181 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

I'm out for the time being with another itb injury... :thumbsd:

Boo. Get healthy my friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users