173 replies to this topic

#16 jbuckmaster

jbuckmaster

XC Series Director

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:48 AM

Information on how TRL members interested in racing in Seattle can get a little financial assistance HERE.

Sometimes you must give up a good living to live good - Unknown

#17 Runman

Runman

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

One thing to note - in the last couple of years, they've done a uniform inspection when you check in at the start, so be prepared for that. (Some people got bumped from team scoring last year). It's a pretty simple rule as only the tops have to be matching and I believe the must be essentially the same top with the same logos. You should check regarding logos as our team had our back logos challenged a couple of years ago because they didn't match exactly and it seems like you have more than one. Shorts and undergarments (e.g. long sleeved tops) don't have to match as long as the uniform top is the outermost layer.

I just wanted to point out that this particular piece of information from Kelly is very important and was a topic of discussion at the recent BAC meeting I had. The rules, which are mind-numbing and head-scratching at times, are enforced to a degree not seen elsewhere. Logos must be of a certain size and limited in their location, so read up because you don't want to arrive at noon in Seattle and be told your uniforms are unacceptable.

#18 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5853 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Larry,

Here's the link:
10 pages of uniform rules

#19 jbuckmaster

jbuckmaster

XC Series Director

• Red Lizards
  • 1498 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

USATF never ceases to amaze me.

#20 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5853 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

Yeah, it looks like they changed the rule since the last time the meet was close-by. It doesn't help that they grandfathered in a bunch of club logos, so the change wasn't immediately obvious. I emailed you the relevant rules.

What this means is that the meet sponsor's name on the bibs is bigger than the club team names on the unis. I'd kind of noticed that at the Pre and the Nationals. Everyone looked like they were running for Toyota. I'm sure that that had nothing to do with this...

#21 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10383 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

What this means is that the meet sponsor's name on the bibs is bigger than the club team names on the unis.

I'm all for making an honest buck, but this is a classic example of why I generally dislike sponsorships :getlost: Ironic that sponsors' logos take precedence over club logos at a "Club" Championship :rolleyes:

ETA: I suppose creatively applying a Magic Marker to the bibs would be grounds for disqualification too :ph34r:
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#22 Tgirl

Tgirl

jill of all (running) trades

• Red Lizards
  • 4215 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

Damn but that lizard on the back has been our "trademark" since .......well not long enough I guess.

It does say that we can cover up with tape.

I have to admit that I too noticed at Pre et al that everyone looked like they were running for Toyota and Nick Symmonds posted a rant against this rule.I just never thought that it would affect us.
"The real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgivable, is the violence that we do to ourselves when we're too afraid to be who we really are." Lana Wachowski.

#23 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5853 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:06 PM

Our front doesn't work either, btw. 40 square cm with a max height of 4 cm = 4 x 10 cm = 1.5 x 4 inches. And it has to be offset to the right side, not centered. And it has to be the club logo, and that cool new CC thing isn't our logo.

Now I know why Run Porland's women had new (pink) unis with a microscopic logos.

#24 Tgirl

Tgirl

• Red Lizards
  • 4215 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:38 AM

Now I know why Run Porland's women had new (pink) unis with a microscopic logos.

Yeah the new Run Portland tops make a lot more sense now. If you can't make your team stand out with logos, them make them stand out with colour.
"The real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgivable, is the violence that we do to ourselves when we're too afraid to be who we really are." Lana Wachowski.

#25 jbuckmaster

jbuckmaster

XC Series Director

• Red Lizards
  • 1498 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

I will check with our USATF guy and try to get official word on whether our unis will work or not. Hopefully we can get some sort of written approval from USATF.

#26 Trail Kelly

Trail Kelly

Leapin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

I will check with our USATF guy and try to get official word on whether our unis will work or not. Hopefully we can get some sort of written approval from USATF.

Hey Larry & TRL,

Bill Quinslik, the USATF xc national chair, has told another club that the uniform rule is not yet "official" and may not be in place for the club xc championships - so don't panic yet. Also, although the USA xc championships (in February to select the world team) is included on the list, the USATF Club xc championships is not listed as a meet to which this would apply.

Identification of different clubs during the xc club championships is of primary importance to the athletes during the race, thus application of the logo rule doesn't make any sense at all. Unique uniforms are much better than a sea of blue Nike uniforms (some HS conferences in OR are impossible because EVERYONE is wearing the same blue and white Nike singlet). That big lizard on the back is a big ol' target and great for identification. Pink uniforms are great as well. White ones are useless, IMO, since you can't differentiate between teams.

So don't get out the tape yet -- contact Bill Quinslik or someone from the meet (like Bill Roe) for clarification. I am sure all will be fine and you won't have to alter or change your uniforms.

K

#27 Tgirl

Tgirl

• Red Lizards
  • 4215 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

Thanks Kelly for the info.

Hey Jacob I have Bill Q's email address and I can shoot him an email tonight. I've met him through some previous USATF events and he is usually pretty friendly.

BTW Jacob if it was a female official, I'd totally suggest that you contact her. :thumbsup:

#28 jbuckmaster

jbuckmaster

XC Series Director

• Red Lizards
  • 1498 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

That sounds good. Let us know what he says.

#29 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5853 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

Hey Larry & TRL,

Identification of different clubs during the xc club championships is of primary importance to the athletes during the race, thus application of the logo rule doesn't make any sense at all.

Bingo! That was my absolute first thought.

Rick

#30 Runman

Runman

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

Hey Larry & TRL,

Bill Quinslik, the USATF xc national chair, has told another club that the uniform rule is not yet "official" and may not be in place for the club xc championships - so don't panic yet. Also, although the USA xc championships (in February to select the world team) is included on the list, the USATF Club xc championships is not listed as a meet to which this would apply.

Kelly - Thanks for the input and while I will pass this along to my BAC partners, I still have my concerns because it is 1) "not yet official" and 2) the rule appeared based on the language to apply to US National Championships, and this being the club nationals, it would seem it would apply - perhaps I am being too literal in my reading. So while it is nice to hear that everyone should be in the clear come December 10, it is the USATF and all it takes is a single official to gum up the whole system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users