173 replies to this topic

#166 Aaron

Aaron

Repressed Sprinter

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

David, that ED thing for the course is interesting, but there are too many variables for it to mean much.

So, it's in Kentucky next year? That sounds a bit far, but I am looking forward to Bend. Anyone have an idea where the course would be?

It's a simple question of weight ratios

#167 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5853 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

FYI, USATF was notified two weeks ago of the erroneous inclusion of Sarah in the men's standings. They have declined to fix it. They are one weird organization. Apparently, fixing it requires admitting they made a mistake.

#168 Fidel

Fidel

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 4197 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

FYI, USATF was notified two weeks ago of the erroneous inclusion of Sarah in the men's standings. They have declined to fix it. They are one weird organization. Apparently, fixing it requires admitting they made a mistake.

???

Interesting. Anymore info on this anywhere?

Thanks.

#169 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10790 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Bizarre.

The good news is that even if we calculate the results without Sarah in the mens results and include Paul's score instead, we still end up placing the same. If it would have changed the results, I could see another team successfully challneging the results, but since it doesn't make a difference, Sarah should just enjoy her 10k PR ;)

#170 Runman

Runman

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

Bizarre.

The good news is that even if we calculate the results without Sarah in the mens results and include Paul's score instead, we still end up placing the same. If it would have changed the results, I could see another team successfully challneging the results, but since it doesn't make a difference, Sarah should just enjoy her 10k PR ;)

Actually Torrey I believe at this point challenging the results would be prohibited as the time period for that is immediately after the race - a 30 to 60 minute time period after results are posted. The rules are byzantine to begin with and what normally happens is "unofficial" results are posted and you have to challenge based upon those even though being unofficial means they could be full of errors.

Frankly the whole thing makes you wonder if we have gotten in a hot tub and returned to the 70s and the AAU/TAC days. Seriously, the hoops one must jump through to have their own American Record ratified, even if it is at a USATF-championship event, means one should be surprised when Pete Magill throws up his arms in frustration. The USATF is deaf to the growth of this sport unless they somehow benefit and it is not about the athletes. Does all this sound familiar?

I'm going to hijack this for a minute to say that I am trying to deal with the communication issues to the athletes at the Olympic marathon trials in Houston in a few weeks. There was a fluid deadline which wasn't even posted to the event website and it was right during the Christmas holiday. No reminders to athletes (and between the men and women there are 400 runners so a e-mail to the group would not be challenging). Now I'm trying to get a response as to our fluid request. I thought St. Louis in 2004 was tone deaf to the athletes (other than those named Kastor, Goucher or Flanagan) but Houston is approaching that same level of deafness. Of course who am I dealing with on this issue? Oh yes, the USATF....

#171 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10383 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

Actually Torrey I believe at this point challenging the results would be prohibited as the time period for that is immediately after the race - a 30 to 60 minute time period after results are posted. The rules are byzantine to begin with and what normally happens is "unofficial" results are posted and you have to challenge based upon those even though being unofficial means they could be full of errors.

Frankly the whole thing makes you wonder if we have gotten in a hot tub and returned to the 70s and the AAU/TAC days. Seriously, the hoops one must jump through to have their own American Record ratified, even if it is at a USATF-championship event, means one should be surprised when Pete Magill throws up his arms in frustration. The USATF is deaf to the growth of this sport unless they somehow benefit and it is not about the athletes. Does all this sound familiar?

I'm going to hijack this for a minute to say that I am trying to deal with the communication issues to the athletes at the Olympic marathon trials in Houston in a few weeks. There was a fluid deadline which wasn't even posted to the event website and it was right during the Christmas holiday. No reminders to athletes (and between the men and women there are 400 runners so a e-mail to the group would not be challenging). Now I'm trying to get a response as to our fluid request. I thought St. Louis in 2004 was tone deaf to the athletes (other than those named Kastor, Goucher or Flanagan) but Houston is approaching that same level of deafness. Of course who am I dealing with on this issue? Oh yes, the USATF....

As I was trying to check in right before the race in Seattle, a USATF person was haranguing some poor guy in his late 60s/early 70s because his uniform singlet had different colors on the front and back. It was clearly a uniform his team had been wearing for a long time, but she took great pleasure in repeating over and over that he and his team would be disqualified, while he just stood there silently, not knowing what to do and getting no help about how to proceed. Meanwhile, with the start time rapidly approaching, those of us in line were getting more and more anxious about just getting checked in in time.

USATF needs to get their own house in order before imposing more nit-picking rules on the athletes. Not acknowledging such a simple error in the results is ridiculous! The atmosphere, competition, and excitement of these big USATF meets is great, but signing up, checking in, getting meal tickets, etc., etc, was almost more stress that it was worth, and I don't see it getting any better at future events.
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#172 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5853 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

I'll bet that's it. I was told that this would have to be referred to the Games Committee, and it then went all the way up to the very top echelons at USATF. I'd have to read the rules, but that may mean that there's no mechanism for the officials, after the protest period to correct an obvious error. Or they're viewing this as a protest. Very odd, anyway. In this case, what it means is that in order to prevent such errors, it's considered your responsibility to stay on site an monitor all races you didn't run so you can make sure you didn't get scored in them.

Of course, if she ever needs a seed time ... :rolleyes:

#173 happytrailstoyou

happytrailstoyou

Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:47 AM

Photos on the USATF web site http://www.usatf.org...hips/photos.asp

Same photos on photographer Mike Scott's Shutterfly page. (Easier to scroll through the almost 2000 pictures imo.) Awesome pics of TRL in action! :thumbsup:
http://miscottrunnin...terfly.com/3653
Find your luck slowly ~ Philip booth

#174 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10383 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

A tale of two races...

I felt ok for the first loop...

Before the stop :thumbsup:

Attached File  Pre-Stop.png   698.16KB   16 downloads

I continued to move up, though it was hard to keep track of where I was, who I was passing, and who was passing me. It became a whirl of names and clubs being yelled, and age group bibs on runners backs. I just tried to keep moving forward, pick people off, and stay ahead of the footsteps behind me.

After the stop :pinch:

Attached File  Post-Stop.png   771.54KB   19 downloads
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users