#1 andicamp

andicamp

showing my colors

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts
  • Interests:yes

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

No one's done one of these in a while, so allow me to get the ball rolling. The more people that post, the more fun it is, so join in!

I'm actually starting week number 6 of about 20 weeks. I've been working with my high school coach since the beginning of the year, which is a change for me. For one thing, he's on the east coast, so I have no eyes on the ground here in Portland. In hindsight, that hurt me in my spring track endeavors this year, as I overdid my training a bit the last few weeks.
Anyway, it's good to try new things. I have my schedule through the end of July, but I have a feeling things are going to get a little hairy during the second half. I'm curious to see how it goes.

Week ending 6/19/11
Monday: 12.5 miles
Tuesday: 12.5 miles w/ 16x400 (mostly in 85)
Wednesday: 7 miles
Thursday: 6 miles
Friday: 9.5 miles w/ 3x 1 mile (5:58, 6:05, 6:09) - yuck
Saturday: 16.5 miles
Sunday: 6 miles

Total: 70 miles

Pretty solid week except for Friday, when I felt Lousy with a capital L. I did a quick dietary analysis when I got home and found that I need to eat more carbs. Duh.
Also, I've been pondering how the super long build will affect me, so I looked back at my 2009 training log (the last year I ran an October marathon) to see how much I ran this week in 2009 and it was... 42 miles. Interesting.
2010 mileage: 2929
2009 mileage: 2875
2008 mileage: 2436.5
2007 mileage: 2254.5
2010 prs/races: 1/7
2009 prs/races: 15/18
2008 prs/races: 12/17
2007 prs/races: 9/11

#2 lmtortor

lmtortor

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Running, rock-climbing, biking, camping, playing piano/singing, eating ice cream

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

I am so happy this thread is back! I remember lurking when I first became a member. I also remember looking back at it multiple times since then to see what I could change about my training.

This is my first week back really training. Who loves track workouts at 4:30am? It actually felt great. 200 x 8 in :42(every single one) alternating with 400 x 8 in :86 (every single one except one in the middle). At least I am consistent!

Once this week is complete, I will start posting as well. 16 weeks until the Chicago marathon!

#3 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8121 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

I'm not training for a fall marathon, so I'll live vicariously through those of you that are. But rest assured, there are ALWAYS eyes watching.

Andi, just let me know if you want any help/company on your workouts. Last Tuesday, I did 12 x 400m w/100 jogs and hit all the 400s in :85. Then last Friday, Brendan and I did 3 x 1 mile with 3:00 rests at Duniway. I hit all of them in 5:54. Pretty similar to what you did, Andi.

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#4 plug_kev

plug_kev

Runnin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

Alright I am in. Will post this week when its over but it won't be much. Have not run in a while and am ready to get back at it. Probably aiming for a later fall marathon.

That is a serious week Andi. Lots of good work. Do you like the hard Monday/Tuesday followed by two easy days?

#5 andicamp

andicamp

showing my colors

• Red Lizards
  • 3488 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

Well, Kevin, the jury's still out on the schedule. It's very different from what I typically do (almost nothing on Monday, hard day Tuesday, recovery Wednesday, medium day Thursday, recovery Frday, long/hard Saturday, medium-long recovery Sunday), that's for sure.

I actually enjoy the Monday long runs while I'm doing them, and while I don't run them fast, it's still enough running that I'm not fresh for Tuesday's workout. But, I'm not exactly tired for Tuesday's workout either. It's just enough to make me wonder why my track workouts don't feel that wonderful. And I get really long recoveries for my track workouts, which is kind of a double-edged sword. Aerobically, I'll be totally recovered, but the long recovery jogs start to make your legs more tired after a while. Plus, my coach is big on small increases in mileage and intensity, but every week. So in this first 10-week phase, in a few weeks, my Monday long run will be up to 15 miles, and my Saturday run will be 18 miles. By the middle/end of July, I'll be at 80 miles a week, all in single runs. Weird for me.

#6 Fidel

Fidel

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 4197 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:50 PM

Well, Kevin, the jury's still out on the schedule. It's very different from what I typically do (almost nothing on Monday, hard day Tuesday, recovery Wednesday, medium day Thursday, recovery Frday, long/hard Saturday, medium-long recovery Sunday), that's for sure.

I actually enjoy the Monday long runs while I'm doing them, and while I don't run them fast, it's still enough running that I'm not fresh for Tuesday's workout. But, I'm not exactly tired for Tuesday's workout either. It's just enough to make me wonder why my track workouts don't feel that wonderful. And I get really long recoveries for my track workouts, which is kind of a double-edged sword. Aerobically, I'll be totally recovered, but the long recovery jogs start to make your legs more tired after a while. Plus, my coach is big on small increases in mileage and intensity, but every week. So in this first 10-week phase, in a few weeks, my Monday long run will be up to 15 miles, and my Saturday run will be 18 miles. By the middle/end of July, I'll be at 80 miles a week, all in single runs. Weird for me.

Here's a suggestion gathered from when I was concentrating on distance and getting feedback from other distance runners: If you go medium-long on Sunday, switch your Tuesday hard day to Wednesday. Folks tend to go too hard on that Sunday run and one day recovery isn't enough. Just a thought....

#7 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5890 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

She's on a coached program, but that's precisely what I had Amanda do, Fidel . . . sometimes. She had 4, maybe 5 (I'd have to look back) long-hard runs in the build-up for Grandma's, alternating with 22s at easier pace. After the 22s, she was good to go for Tuesday track. After the long-hard ones, it was Wednesday track.

What's the goal race Andi? Becky might be able to join you for parts of it. Right now, she's on 70-80 mpw with a long of 18, and Tu/F track. Target right now is CIM.

#8 andicamp

andicamp

showing my colors

• Red Lizards
  • 3488 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

Chicago is my goal race.

I never run too hard on my easy days. That's one problem I don't have.

#9 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5890 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

Pfitzinger likes those second medium-long runs. The downside is that it leaves some runners flat for speed work, a problem when the speed work gets more intense. I'll be interested in seeing how it works for you. It would work great on an 8-day "week", or maybe a 10-day rotation. On those you get two rest days after every hard workout (two speed, one long). Then rest is 4 days, not 3, and you could squeeze the medium long in there quite nicely. This has been on the back of my mind for the Trials. The down side is that the 10-day rotation just kills the ability to find training partners on any kind of consistent basis. Tradeoffs are fun, aren't they?

Anyway, maybe you two can run some together. Next time you zip through Duniway, I'll introduce you.

#10 Ben F

Ben F

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • 773 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

Week ending 6/19

Mon: Run 0, bike 16
Tue: Run 1, bike 16
Wed: Run 6.5, bike 16
Thu: Run 0, bike 16
Fri: Run 1, bike 16
Sat: Run 2, bike 5
Sun: Run 0, bike 0, beer 2

Total run: 10.5
Total bike: 85
Total beer: 2

No, this is not a joke. It should look more appropriate in early July. I figure now is as good a time as any to get this ball rolling, this time with accountability.

I'm not necessarily shooting for a fall marathon...maybe something in the winter.

#11 Julie

Julie

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • 827 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hooray! Training thread. I'm in.
My short term goal race is the Bridger Mountain Ridge run. Long Term is Houston in January. I'm doing the Pfitzinger plan but changing the cycle time to get ready for Bridger. I started Pfitzinger in early April so I'm definitly on the master's extended plan and have a bit of fear of burn out by December. It took from February to get myself to this point. Things aren't going quickly but I'm over 60 miles most weeks and I don't blow up on EVERY tempo run. It will be interesting to see if it gets me back in PR shape. I'll post more on my training paces next week.

06/13 8.7 miles general aerobic with 10x100 meter repeats 8:18 avg pace
06/14 12 Leif (who knows my pace...my Garmen is so far on Leif)
06/15 5- recovery
06/16 7.17 general aerobic
06/17 4- recovery-hot stone massage
06/18 13.1 Trail/mountain half marathon 2:09.27
06/19 6 recovery

55.91=miles
1=massages

#12 BrianD

BrianD

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:00 PM

Ok... I'll play as well though I'm currently in the middle of week one.

This is my second attempt @ NYC; last year I was in the shape of my life and had major SI joint issues two weeks before the race and didn't go. Throw in PT, a massive car accident in December and the birth of our second two months ago and I'll just be happy to get to the line and have a good time this time around. And as an added (albeit fun) bonus, the whole family is headed to Europe for Becca's work for at least four and possibly up to seven weeks during the 20 week training period. Woo-hoo!

I've decided to use Yasso's 10 day plan for "seasoned" runner from his book. After talking to BrewDad about the pros and cons of 10 day vs. 7 (albeit his was a lot more hard core), it seems a good fit and since I'm a stay at home dad, getting midweek long runs in are doable. The hard core one sounded like fun but decided with all the other factors abounding that taking the pressure slightly off made sense. Plus mileage wise this program would put be squarely in between my efforts for CIM in 2008 and Boston last year. Seemed like a nice fit and hopefully unlike Pfitz (where I'm 0 for 2) I'll be able to get to the line in one piece!

So with that, I'll post week one when I'm through it. Off to go do 800's as we speak...

Brian
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people." - Bill Bowerman
"A bear with determination will defeat a dreamy gazelle every time" - s jurek
One day I may not be able to run. Today is not that day.

#13 chrisheinonen

chrisheinonen

Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

I'm doing Portland but not really kicking it in hard until after the Sauvie Island Half in 10 days. I'd started to kick it up earlier, but my knees let me know that I started it too soon, so around a week after Sauvie I'll really start training I guess. The lack of trails that I can easily get to in NE is the issue with my knees I think, so I might move into something with more cushion for my easy runs I think and see if that helps at all.

#14 TDG

TDG

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

I'm doing Portland but not really kicking it in hard until after the Sauvie Island Half in 10 days. I'd started to kick it up earlier, but my knees let me know that I started it too soon, so around a week after Sauvie I'll really start training I guess. The lack of trails that I can easily get to in NE is the issue with my knees I think, so I might move into something with more cushion for my easy runs I think and see if that helps at all.

Where in NE are you? I've done speed work on the path around Wilshire Park. It's only 1 km, so it would be kind of boring for a ten miler but it's definitely more forgiving than a track. I've also done speed work on the gravel path around the rose garden at Peninsula Park.

#15 billa

billa

Don't call it a comeback; I've been here for years.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1254 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

It's very different from what I typically do (almost nothing on Monday, hard day Tuesday, recovery Wednesday, medium day Thursday, recovery Frday, long/hard Saturday, medium-long recovery Sunday),

Interesting, that's exactly what I typically do (example week below). I turn 40 on 11/22, and am aiming for CIM and then Houston (6 wks apart) to give myself 2 shots at a good one, meaning 6:05 avg or faster. Been doing base and shorter races the past 6 months, now in my 6th consecutive 70 mw. Hope to peak at 85-90 and follow a Pfitzinger-ish plan. I'll try to post occassionally, likely not every week.

sample:
M - 4mi - easy in 5 fingers ~7:10 pace
T - 10mi - hard at Lincoln track (in the back of that group for sure)
W - 8mi - easy-medium 6:35 pace
Th - 10mi - hard tempo w/2x2 mi (1mi recovery) - 6:00-6:15 pace for run & ~5:55s for the 2x2
F - 8mi - easy 6:45 pace
S - 18-21 - medium-hard 6:25-6:40 pace
Su - 10-12 - easy-ish recovery @ 6:35-6:50 pace

Will probably keep on a similar schedule, just add distance here and there, getting that Th workout up to a consistent 15 and long runs to a consistent 24 (with some variation of course), considering even a couple "overdistance", like 3 hr runs at the same honest pace (I know, all the books say do your long runs slower, but if I'm averaging 80% HR it still counts as aerobic, and should be able to recover fine, and it's still 20-30/mi slower than goal pace). One word of advice about recovery: L-Glutamine (has worked wonders for me).
thru 4/21/2014 -
lifetime race count: 626
lifetime 1/2 marathon count: 
lifetime marathon count: 31 

PERSONAL RECORDS

BLOG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users