#31 Hockey Puck

Hockey Puck

Power Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (innocentbystander @ Nov 29 2009, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Real time won't be possible, but it does look like you will be able to track at 10k, 21k, 40k and end.

I'm dreading the oncoming "handicapper" thread/post....

Just run your race...I know it's good motivation for you, but the only motivation you need is that A) the training has been done, cool.gif your coming off a great PR in Portland, C) You're definitely ready for another one D) remember that we'll be behind you....so don't do anything stupid! poke.gif
"Triumph over the adversity is what the marathon is all about. Therefore, you know that there isn't anything in life you can't triumph after that." - Kathrine Switzer

#32 plug_kev

plug_kev

Runnin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (loofahgirl @ Nov 29 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm dreading it too, Albert, especially because when I look at the list that Tim posted, it's obvious that I'll be finishing DFL in it. laugh.gif

What does the 'handicapping' thread do? Does it create a competition between TRL members? That seems like it would be against the mission statement.

Edit: The more I think about it, competition does help people accomplish their fitness goals ... but in a large marathon like CIM I think its everyone against their goal helping each other but probably not against each other ... unless that helps them accomplish their goals?

I am not running CIM but am looking forward to it and other races for the following reasons:

1) Because I have now actually met a few people in the running community who are consistently driven to improve themselves and hope to see them affirm it in a race.

2) Because I love to follow running and it is a lot more fun looking at the results of races I am not even in when I know a couple of the names.

3) Because now that I have a small amount of insight into the training of those involved I can possibly gleen both negative and positive insights to help me improve my own running.

4) "I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor" Ralph Waldo Emerson and it is inspiring to watch it happen.

I think Hockey Puck is right about running your own race. Go out there, test yourself, and see what you're capable of.

Good luck and I hope y'all crush the CIM this year!

Kevin

#33 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8121 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

The joke about the "handicap thread" is from the comment I made at the post-run coffee gathering yesterday. I said there should be a competition of who ran the best relative to the amount of training they put in.

Guys like Albert, Louis and Bill have trained extremely hard for CIM, while others like Christophe and Steve have been sidelined a bit by injury and laziness, respectively. poke.gif

Therefore, it would be fun to somehow measure how each of them perform compared to the amount of training they put in. I know if would be very hard to quantify but it would be fun nonetheless.

All I know is that Albert better break 2:40... whistle.png

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#34 plug_kev

plug_kev

Runnin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (Tim @ Nov 30 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Therefore, it would be fun to somehow measure how each of them perform compared to the amount of training they put in. I know if would be very hard to quantify but it would be fun nonetheless.

Oh, got it. So the goal would be to train the least amount possible and still run a decent marathon.

Good luck Albert!

#35 Steve

Steve

Qatar Flange

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2950 posts
  • Interests:Orienteering, Running, Geocaching, all the usual backpacking/camping/hiking/climbing stuff

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Tim @ Nov 30 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The joke about the "handicap thread" is from the comment I made at the post-run coffee gathering yesterday. I said there should be a competition of who ran the best relative to the amount of training they put in.

Guys like Albert, Louis and Bill have trained extremely hard for CIM, while others like Christophe and Steve have been sidelined a bit by injury and laziness, respectively. poke.gif

That's slander!!! Are you basing this on my decision to do most of my long runs on Saturdays instead of Sundays with you? Or that I'm not doing 80 mile weeks? Or that my treehouse still isn't done? Or just out of general orneriness?
Life is short and we have not too much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel the way with us.
Oh, be swift to love. Make haste to be kind.
- Henri Frederic Amiel

#36 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

Running is serious business.

• Red Lizards
  • 2982 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (plug_kev @ Nov 30 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, got it. So the goal would be to train the least amount possible and still run a decent marathon.

Good luck Albert!

Yeah, it's all in good fun. But the basic idea was that it would've been based on "perceived" ability, talent, training and PR vs. the stated goal. So in reality, loofah would be handicapped quite well and I would have my work cut out for me.

But thanks for your support, I will try not to let anyone down.

#37 Julie

Julie

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:21 PM

The injured ones including myself can call it our sandbagging thread. I'll share a bit of what is going on with me over this 16 week training cycle. I'm in a different spot than some of my lizard team mates with my fitness and training but a few of the variables are the same.

Wow! Great training efforts. There could be some spectacular races and PR's on Sunday for Lizard nation. So exciting to be there.

If there is the slightest interest in comparing training volume with results...I'll throw out some data for the numbers guys. This is my 5th marathon so still climbing up the learning curve.

I increased my volume on this training cycle to average in the mid 60's . I Consistently run about 15% more per week now than 6 months ago. Hard to say what proportion is quality because I ran a ton of quality hills last spring.

This fall the change in intensity has been more marathon pace running on mid range 11 to 14 mile continuous runs and finishing my long runs at marathon pace (last 4, 6 or 9 miles) This seems easy on paper but in truth, I had to work up to these over the course of a year as they were harder physically and mentally in the middle of a higher mileage week than I care to admit.

My track workouts spiked the first week of October. I am roughly 3 seconds slower on my 800's now than I was on Oct 1. I think that is because I was racing more in the summer months and had a training effect from the racing not due to any loss in VO2 max from old age and lazyness. I'm really curious about this.

Injury. I missed 7 or 8 days total. 6 consecutive days completely off. I spent a fair amount of energy whining like a little girl about injury and I hope to avoid that in the future.

Previous Marathon times were 3:39(PDX 08) 3:27 (BOS April 09) 3:23:30(SEA June 09) I'm between pace groups so I'll be running my own race and praying for a tailwind. I'll be looking for a strong pack or partner to work with when I get out on the course. I think my goal pace for the first half (7:32-7:35) is conservative. Heaven knows after that! My mantra is MIRACLE.

#38 Clover

Clover

Reptile dysfunction

• Red Lizards
  • 4823 posts
  • Interests:5.25% and falling.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:40 PM

hijack.gif

I can't seem to find any runner tracking options for CIM. Am I missing something? I really want to track everyone's progress this weekend! In fact, I think it would be fun to either go running while they're running (if phone tracking is available--I'll put my phone on "vibrate" and carry it in my pocket during the run) or get together and have a CIM party (if only computer tracking is available).

hijack.gif

"Why aren't you signed up for the 401k?"

"I'd never be able to run that far."

--Scott Adams, Dilbert

#39 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

Whatever. This is pretty much my race strategy. Maybe it should be everyone's:

"Go that way. Really fast. If something gets in your way, turn."

do3nyr.jpg

#40 Hockey Puck

Hockey Puck

Power Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Clover @ Nov 30 2009, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hijack.gif

I can't seem to find any runner tracking options for CIM. Am I missing something? I really want to track everyone's progress this weekend! In fact, I think it would be fun to either go running while they're running (if phone tracking is available--I'll put my phone on "vibrate" and carry it in my pocket during the run) or get together and have a CIM party (if only computer tracking is available).

hijack.gif

Check two days out. I think it is a cell phone texting option....

"Triumph over the adversity is what the marathon is all about. Therefore, you know that there isn't anything in life you can't triumph after that." - Kathrine Switzer

#41 Julie

Julie

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:59 PM

On line tracking will be available

#42 The_tober

The_tober

Now with a bicycle!

• Red Lizards
  • 2450 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:01 PM

Here's my training for the record.
The first week being tracked here is Newport, where I dropped out at M22.
I had a fairly consistent base prior to that. I would say I averaged about 35M to 40M per week starting in February.
Obviously my ramp to CIM was too aggressive again (both miles and intensity). I was shooting for a peak of 70Miles. I started having calf issue in late August and have not been able to run one week of my planned schedule since then.
The only good new I see here is that in the last few weeks I see a downward trend in average pace (blue line). What's going to kill me though is the lack of long runs. I ran 1 22M on 11/1. My longest run in October was 18. Same thing in September.

Attached Files

#43 Pete Danko

Pete Danko

Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Julie @ Nov 30 2009, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On line tracking will be available

Sam McManis has an update at the Run, Sacramento blog on the Sacramento Bee site:
http://www.sacbee.co...-explained.html

#44 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

Hey Pete, thanks for the shoutout on your blog.

do3nyr.jpg

#45 Steve

Steve

Qatar Flange

• Red Lizards
  • 2950 posts
  • Interests:Orienteering, Running, Geocaching, all the usual backpacking/camping/hiking/climbing stuff

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

Hey Carin, have you gone public with a marathon goal yet?
Life is short and we have not too much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel the way with us.
Oh, be swift to love. Make haste to be kind.
- Henri Frederic Amiel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users