#1 akhare

akhare

Salamander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:13 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn...health-fitness/

Just as there is the endorphin rush of a "runner's high," there can also be the valley of despair when something prevents avid runners from getting their daily fix of miles.
Now, researchers at Tufts University may have confirmed this addiction by showing that an intense running regimen in rats can release brain chemicals that mimic the same sense of euphoria as opiate use. They propose that moderate exercise could be a "substitute drug" for human heroin and morphine addicts.
Given all of the benefits of exercise, many people commit to an active running routine. Somewhere during a longer, more intense run when stored glycogen is depleted, the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus release endorphins that can provide that "second wind" that keeps a runner going.
This sense of being able to run all day is similar to the pain-relieving state that opiates provide, scientists have known. So a team led by Robin Kanarek, professor of psychology at Tufts University, wondered whether they could also produce similar withdrawal symptoms , which would indicate that intense running and opiate abuse have a similar biochemical effect.

#2 rizzo

rizzo

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3609 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:02 AM

tell me about it. i don't need s scientist to tell me this one. thanks for the info though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users