Photo

First track practice in 25 years - what should I know?

track new member

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 norarachel

norarachel

Newt

• Red Lizards
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:23 PM

I'm new to Red Lizard and joined in part to motivate myself to get some track practice in, after not having done it since high school MANY years ago. I am planning on showing up today, but feeling nervous about it. I've read the "what to know" etc. but what should I REALLY know? thanks!

#2 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8083 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

The only thing to really know is to keep turning left. :smile:

Seriously, we're a pretty fun, welcoming group. The workouts will be well explained by Rick, our club coach. There are always two workout options - one geared toward folks targeting marathons and the other one aimed at those either running upcoming cross-country races, or events at shorter distances. Pick whichever workout fits your current needs.

Workout paces are based on a S, M, L, T spectrum. S = sprint or fast speed, M = moderate (usually around your 3k pace), L is your current 5k pace and T = tempo (around your 15k pace).

Workouts are usually held at the track at Duniway, but due to construction there, are temporarily at Lincoln H.S. Some of use still park and meet at Duniway and jog over to Lincoln for our warmup/cooldown. It's about 1.5 miles each way. Others drive directly to Lincoln and warmup around the track. Either way, be warmed up and ready to start the workout at 6:15pm. If you want to run over from Duniway, be there by 5:40pm.

There will be runners of all abilities there, so introduce yourself and ask folks what pace they plan on running at. You'll find the right group to jump in with. You'll have fun and do fine. Just don't get carried away since this is your first track workout in a long time. Better to start off easier and build into the workout, than start too fast and die later.

Look forward to seeing you out there!

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: track, new member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users