1 reply to this topic

#1 Paul T

Paul T

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:46 PM

This is a thread for people who have run up the Terwilliger bike path, frequently or infrequently, over the past 20-25 years.

Do you recall those yellow circles on the right side of the path as you are running South? Those circles (what's left of them! ) might have been placed there 25 to 30 years ago. They were yellow discs placed every quarter mile, with mile markers every mile. It originated about 15 yards in from Sheridan St. That's the street on the South side of Duniway. I think these markers go all the way into the Tryon bike path and down to State St. I've never scouted Terwilliger from Barbur to Boones Ferry. But mile 3 is just before you get to Nebraska and there was a mile 5 marker about a tenth of a mile in from the Boones Ferry entrance.

It's always been a dream project of mine, for the last 15+ years, to redo those markers. I just never got around to it. For those that have done the Tuesday track workout for over a decade, Rick would, on occasion, have us do hill circuits that would start just before the Duniway Lilac Gardens sign. Sometimes we would jog up to Condor and do half mile up and overs to Hamilton St.

There are only three decent markers still visible. The first one is just past the crosswalk to the Casey Eye Institute. Then there's one just past Hamilton. The last one is just past US Bank/A Boy complex. So, for those that have run Terwilliger from Duniway to Barbur and back, you've always known that's a 7 mile run. I have a RoloTape wheel that is quite accurate. I have been using it to verify distances between the markers, and I have uncovered remnants of two other markers. I am using chalk to temporarily mark the spots, which hasn't been that great considering the weather. My goal is to get this project wrapped up by June, weather permitting. I am going with white paint because I think locating companies use yellow for a specific reason.

Last October I had a severe diverticulitis attack. My colon was completely resectioned. I was in Good Sam for 16 days and in the Robison Home for better part of a month. Lost almost 40 lbs. On a wound vac for 9 weeks. I'm on an Ostemy bag, which I hope is reversible by the end of the Summer. So there will be no running for me until at least 2020. But I can go to the gym and I can walk, which is why I am finally taking on this project.

Paul

Paul T

#2 markiemo

markiemo

Director of Group Runs

• Board Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3645 posts
  • Interests:Trail running, biking, hanging with reptiles, camping, traveling,
    beach bumming, enjoying the endless string of Saturdays...

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:28 AM

Hey Paul.  Nice project.  Also, so sorry to hear of your health worries.  Ageing sucks.

FYI, this message board gets very little use any more.  For better coverage and to be seen by more lizards try our Red Lizard Facebook page.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users