• Please log in to reply
577 replies to this topic

#1 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10377 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

We have a lot of music fans and even a few musicians in the club, resulting in a lot of different music-related posts. I thought it might be useful to start a single thread for musical thoughts, opinions, questions, trivia, info, and whatever else people want to add.

I'll start things off with this: After only 4-1/2 hours of sleep and three races within 14 hours on New Year's Day [yes, a U2 song title], my exhausted mind began coming up with a list of

Good Songs With Silly Titles

(The following are listed in rough order by ratio of song quality to silliness of title)

"De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" by The Police
The title actually makes sense in the context of the lyrics, which are concerned with shyness-induced inarticulateness.

"Na Na Na Na Naa" by Kaiser Chiefs
The title is also part of the lyrics, and is utter naa-nsense, but the song itself is an excellent anthem of indifference to a woman and her advances, and features a great soaring guitar solo.

"Sh-Boom" by The Chords
Some consider this 1954 doo-wop classic the first rock 'n' roll song. It sandwiches solid love song lyrics between the nuttiest gibberish ever recorded, but the great harmonies and incredibly rapid tempo make it one of the great songs of all time, rock 'n' roll or not. Sample lyrics:
"Hey nonny ding dong, alang alang alang
Boom ba-doh, ba-doo ba-doodle-ay...

...Sh-boom sh-boom Ya-da-da Da-da-da Da-da-da Da
Sh-boom sh-boom Ya-da-da Da-da-da Da-da-da Da
Sh-boom sh-boom Ya-da-da Da-da-da Da-da-da Da, sh-boom

Sh-boom sh-boom Ya-da-da Da-da-da Da-da-da Da, sh-boom"

Awesome!

"Shimmy Shimmy Ko-Ko-Bop" by Little Anthony and the Imperials
Another early rock 'n' roll song, with a large percentage of nonsense lyrics, about a single guy meeting a native girl in the jungle, and concluding with a verse instructing listeners on how to do the Shimmy Shimmy Ko-Ko-Bop dance. Pioneering DJ Allan Freed, who coined the phrase "rock 'n' roll", chose to play this as his final song as he went off the air for the last time.

"Solar Prestige A Gammon" by Elton John
This whole song is intentional nonsense, with the lyrics made up of random words that happen to fit the melody. Elton was tired of everybody overanalyzing Bernie Taupin's lyrics, so he asked Bernie to "go write any old meaningless rubbish". Still a great song.

"Radio Ga Ga" by Queen
The lyrics are a straightforward ode and tribute to the power of radio, but, I'm sorry, the title and chorus are still completely goofy:
"All we hear is Radio ga ga
Radio goo goo
Radio ga ga
All we hear is Radio ga ga
Radio blah blah
Radio what's new
Radio, someone still loves you!" sick.png

The same theme is handled much better in Rush's "Spirit of Radio" and even "Mr. Radio" by E.L.O., but I still like this one too.

"Be-Bob-a-Lula" by Gene Vincent
The meaningless title appears in the chorus of this simple song about a girlfriend, but it's one of the great early rock classics.
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#2 Doug

Doug

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Members
  • 7221 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

This morning on my way to work i was thinking about the way a few different bands cover songs by other artists...

And while I was running tonight I was comparing Phish and Pearl Jam...

There are a pair of shows from '98 that Phish did where they attempted to cover songs like Gettin' Jiggy With It and Tubthumping...Although I respect the hell out of Phish and think they're great band it's just kind of funny listening to them trying to cover songs like that...It seems to be more of a humorous thing (at least for those two shows) to them...I have heard them do a good cover of Good Times Bad Times by Led Zepellin, though.

Pearl Jam, on the other hand, has to be one of the great bands that i've heard do cover songs of various artists. Mr. Vedder does a great version of You've Got To Hide Your Love Away by The Beatles (I got to see it live in Canada, too, a few years ago!!!!)...I've also heard great covers of Driven To Tears by the Police...Gimme Some Truth...People Have The Power...Little Wing...Rocking In The Free World...Harvest Moon...Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay...Don't Be Shy...
It's a treat to listen to Mike McCready play guitar on a number of those songs.

#3 BadAss

BadAss

Badass

• Red Lizards
  • 3324 posts
  • Interests:Depends on cash or credit

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:41 PM

"Do whacka do, whacka do, whacko do, whacka do..."
- Roger Miller-

"Break me a f**k'in give."
-Yoda-

#4 RickCurwen

RickCurwen

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:02 PM

Um, um, um, um, um, um.

#5 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10377 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (Doug @ Jan 2 2008, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This morning on my way to work i was thinking about the way a few different bands cover songs by other artists...

And while I was running tonight I was comparing Phish and Pearl Jam...

There are a pair of shows from '98 that Phish did where they attempted to cover songs like Gettin' Jiggy With It and Tubthumping...Although I respect the hell out of Phish and think they're great band it's just kind of funny listening to them trying to cover songs like that...It seems to be more of a humorous thing (at least for those two shows) to them...I have heard them do a good cover of Good Times Bad Times by Led Zepellin, though.

Pearl Jam, on the other hand, has to be one of the great bands that i've heard do cover songs of various artists. Mr. Vedder does a great version of You've Got To Hide Your Love Away by The Beatles (I got to see it live in Canada, too, a few years ago!!!!)...I've also heard great covers of Driven To Tears by the Police...Gimme Some Truth...People Have The Power...Little Wing...Rocking In The Free World...Harvest Moon...Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay...Don't Be Shy...
It's a treat to listen to Mike McCready play guitar on a number of those songs.

Eddie and Mike did a great live version of Bob Dylan's "Masters of War" at Dylan's 30th Anniversary Concert in 1992. That's a great album, with a bunch of excellent performances by a lot of different artists. Other highlights include "All Along the Watchtower" by Neil Young; "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" by Eric Clapton; "Blowin' in the Wind" by Stevie Wonder; and "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" by Mary-Chapin Carpenter, Rosanne Cash, and Shawn Colvin.

Los Lobos do a lot of great covers too. They appear on almost every tribute album that comes out, and their songs are always among the best. (But then, I'm a huge Los Lobos fan).

#6 Fidel

Fidel

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 4197 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

Just letting out my most inner, primal thoughts here...Kid Rock's Jackson Mississippi song and video just plain ROCK!!!

Access is kinda limited but you can see the video on Real Player or Rhapsody. So, once you find it, close the door, kick the cats/dogs out, get your drink on, put on your headphones and get ready to frickin' ROCK!

#7 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10377 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (Fidel @ Jan 2 2008, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just letting out my most inner, primal thoughts here...Kid Rock's Jackson Mississippi song and video just plain ROCK!!!

Access is kinda limited but you can see the video on Real Player or Rhapsody. So, once you find it, close the door, kick the cats/dogs out, get your drink on, put on your headphones and get ready to frickin' ROCK!

Aha! I think you played that in the parking lot before the Eugene Challenge Mile two years ago, when I ran a 4:27! w00t.png That song must be worth at least 8 seconds thumbsup.png

#8 Fidel

Fidel

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 4197 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (Joe D. @ Jan 2 2008, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aha! I think you played that in the parking lot before the Eugene Challenge Mile two years ago, when I ran a 4:27! w00t.png That song must be worth at least 8 seconds thumbsup.png

LOL! Yes, it's one of my choice songs before an important event. AC/DC's 'Hells Bells' and Black Eyed Peas 'Let's Get it Started' are other favorites.

Looking forward to the mile race this year. I'll try to not pull anything at the Bend track meet two weeks before.

#9 rizzo

rizzo

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3609 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:16 AM

Chumbawamba -- "Tubthumping"
Whale - "Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe"

#10 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10377 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:09 AM

I forgot these:

"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" by the Beatles

"Rama Lama Ding Dong" by the Edsels:

"Oh oh oh oh
I got a girl named Rama Lama, Rama Lama Ding Dong
She's everything to me
Rama Lama, Rama Lama Ding Dong
I'll never set her free
For she's mine, all mine
Oh oh oh oh
I got a girl named Rama Lama, Rama Lama Ding Dong,
She's fine to me,
You don't believe that she's mine, all mine
I love her,
Love her, love her so.
That I'll never, never let her go.
You may be certain she's mine, all mine,
She's mine all of the time.
Oh I got a girl named Rama Lama, Rama Lama Ding Dong
She's everything to me
I'll never set her free
For she's mine, all mine"

Who wants to start a thread about good girls with silly names? kiss.png rolleyes.gif

#11 C'est Bon

C'est Bon

Runnin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (Joe D. @ Jan 2 2008, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have a lot of music fans and even a few musicians in the club, resulting in a lot of different music-related posts. I thought it might be useful to start a single thread for musical thoughts, opinions, questions, trivia, info, and whatever else people want to add.

I'll start things off with this: After only 4-1/2 hours of sleep and three races within 14 hours on New Year's Day [yes, a U2 song title], my exhausted mind began coming up with a list of

Good Songs With Silly Titles

(The following are listed in rough order by ratio of song quality to silliness of title)

"De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" by The Police
The title actually makes sense in the context of the lyrics, which are concerned with shyness-induced inarticulateness.

"Na Na Na Na Naa" by Kaiser Chiefs
The title is also part of the lyrics, and is utter naa-nsense, but the song itself is an excellent anthem of indifference to a woman and her advances, and features a great soaring guitar solo.

Here's an oldie but a goodie. Can't remember all of the lyrics or who sings it:

Who put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop
Who put the dip in the dip she dip she dip
Who put the lang in the langa langa ding dong
Who was that man, I'd like to shake his hand, he made my baby fall in love with me!!!!

"Sh-Boom" by The Chords
Some consider this 1954 doo-wop classic the first rock 'n' roll song. It sandwiches solid love song lyrics between the nuttiest gibberish ever recorded, but the great harmonies and incredibly rapid tempo make it one of the great songs of all time, rock 'n' roll or not. Sample lyrics:
"Hey nonny ding dong, alang alang alang
Boom ba-doh, ba-doo ba-doodle-ay...

...Sh-boom sh-boom Ya-da-da Da-da-da Da-da-da Da
Sh-boom sh-boom Ya-da-da Da-da-da Da-da-da Da, sh-boom

Sh-boom sh-boom Ya-da-da Da-da-da Da-da-da Da, sh-boom"

Awesome!

"Shimmy Shimmy Ko-Ko-Bop" by Little Anthony and the Imperials
Another early rock 'n' roll song, with a large percentage of nonsense lyrics, about a single guy meeting a native girl in the jungle, and concluding with a verse instructing listeners on how to do the Shimmy Shimmy Ko-Ko-Bop dance. Pioneering DJ Allan Freed, who coined the phrase "rock 'n' roll", chose to play this as his final song as he went off the air for the last time.

"Solar Prestige A Gammon" by Elton John
This whole song is intentional nonsense, with the lyrics made up of random words that happen to fit the melody. Elton was tired of everybody overanalyzing Bernie Taupin's lyrics, so he asked Bernie to "go write any old meaningless rubbish". Still a great song.

"Radio Ga Ga" by Queen
The lyrics are a straightforward ode and tribute to the power of radio, but, I'm sorry, the title and chorus are still completely goofy:
"All we hear is Radio ga ga
Radio goo goo
Radio ga ga
All we hear is Radio ga ga
Radio blah blah
Radio what's new
Radio, someone still loves you!" sick.png

The same theme is handled much better in Rush's "Spirit of Radio" and even "Mr. Radio" by E.L.O., but I still like this one too.

"Be-Bob-a-Lula" by Gene Vincent
The meaningless title appears in the chorus of this simple song about a girlfriend, but it's one of the great early rock classics.

#12 C'est Bon

C'est Bon

Runnin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:56 AM

My contribution somehow got into the middle of Joe's list, and I'm sure he's too young to remember this one:

Here's an oldie but a goodie. Can't remember all of the lyrics or who sings it:

Who put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop
Who put the dip in the dip she dip she dip
Who put the lang in the langa langa ding dong
Who was that man, I'd like to shake his hand, he made my baby fall in love with me!!!!

#13 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • 3728 posts
  • Interests:Once in a while I like to go running.<br /><br />Usually I'm just in it for the beer!

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (Joe D. @ Jan 2 2008, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of ELO, what is the best rock instrumental?

I think Fire on High is my fav, although I rock out to Frankenstein too (Edgar Winter Group).

A different flavor is provided by Led Zeppelin in Black Mountain Side, Moby Dick (Gotta love Bonham on the drums) and Bron-Yr-Aur. My fav of the Zeps would be the latter. Moby Dick is probably the most widely known.

I am not familiar with any Rush instrumentals, but it seems they must have done one or two at some point.

#14 andicamp

andicamp

showing my colors

• Red Lizards
  • 3475 posts
  • Interests:yes

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

You want instrumentals? Check out Maserati, the six parts seven, and Explosions in the Sky, to name a few. All amazing instrumental bands.
2010 mileage: 2929
2009 mileage: 2875
2008 mileage: 2436.5
2007 mileage: 2254.5
2010 prs/races: 1/7
2009 prs/races: 15/18
2008 prs/races: 12/17
2007 prs/races: 9/11

#15 Clover

Clover

Reptile dysfunction

• Red Lizards