• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10788 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:51 AM

I know there are lots of folks planning to take part in this year's sleep-deprivation extravaganza. Run fast, be safe, and enjoy yourselves out there!

#2 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10381 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

I'm looking forward to the race reports. I hear you had to deal with something like this this year:

Posted Image
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#3 Ben F

Ben F

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

I'm looking forward to the race reports. I hear you had to deal with something like this this year:

Posted Image

Worst detour ever

#4 andicamp

andicamp

showing my colors

• Red Lizards
  • 3485 posts
  • Interests:yes

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

I didn't mind the detour. :)
2010 mileage: 2929
2009 mileage: 2875
2008 mileage: 2436.5
2007 mileage: 2254.5
2010 prs/races: 1/7
2009 prs/races: 15/18
2008 prs/races: 12/17
2007 prs/races: 9/11

#5 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8104 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

What kind of lame race reports are these?!? Details, we need details! :getlost: :laugh:

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#6 allezvita

allezvita

motivationally challenged

• Red Lizards
  • 6677 posts
  • Interests:running, dogs, travel, good beer, good wine, good food

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

I had the best time of all six years I've been heading up my team. We had some changes in both vans but we all came together fabulously. I own leg one, I ran it twice prior for some practice and nailed it. Friday, I could NOT slow myself down enough so I took a couple of walk breaks to save my legs. It probably helped because I hooked a railroad track on my second leg and strained my hamstring. It made #3 a little more challenging but it was still fun.

We started at 245 which meant I saw Len and NAC, Dave Terris and Black Flag, Andi, Matt T. and a very stylish Ben with the Leapin' Lizards, Danimal and Paul Curran with PRC, and the stupid fast Japanese team for a transition or two and then they were gone. Long gone.

I felt bad for my leg 5 guy who had a toasty first run, an extended second, and a warmer than it needed to be 29. He rocked it. He and another addition popped their Hood to Coast cherry. So much fun.

I think the race pace idea worked out pretty well. We were backed up getting into Mist and 28/29/30 was congested but not nearly to the point of last year or years previous. Most of the transitions seemed pretty empty in comparison. We made it within a couple minutes of our projected time. Probably dead on with the change they had to make because of the fire. So, we will be back. I've already reserved the vans.
"unless you're doing chest compressions, you always have time to go to the bathroom"

"bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi"
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept my word

Plan your dive, dive your plan

when life gives you lemons, add booze

#7 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

Running is serious business.

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2982 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Well the 10k time Andi put me down for was 34:30. I suggested 34:45 since I haven't been doing any speed work and my legs are dead from running so much the last three weeks. And I'm not in the shape that I was when I ran Shamrock. But 34:30, fine it should still be within my ability (my Shamrock run was equvalent to 33:40). I didn't end up hitting any of my splits. I was seat nine. I lost 90 seconds on the first leg, 50 sec on the second leg, and over seven minutes on the last leg. I felt ok, but I just didn't have the turn over or top end speed. Actually the last leg I felt horrible. I found a discarded piece of paper towel on the road and had to use it to take a crap. I also got sick after running my first leg and ate a dozen Tums that Carre brought. And I also had a serious energy crash driving out to our last set of legs. Second leg sucks. It's five miles on a gravel road, ditch on both sides. I ran it in the dead of night. After cars passed you, all this dust would fly up and you would no longer be able to see the road you were running on or four feet in front of you. Basically I was running 5:35 mile pace while I was blind. Not a confidence inspiring situation. 

The Slug Hunters, the team Leapin Lizards always goes up against (they beat us again, significantly) invited us over afterward. Had some of their beers, socialized with them, we all walked together to get some ice cream since it was Chuck's birthday. We had a really good time with them.

I chose to run this this weekend because I wanted to make up for bailing on the team last year. My priority wasn't runnning PRs. Of course I am competitive and I always run hard and always want to win. But I wanted to patch things up with my old team mates, I wanted to make it up to them.

Took this funny picture where I was laying on my side horizontally while Carre, Becky, and Sera held me in their arms. It's probably somewhere on Facebook.

#8 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8735 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

Nice report Albert!

I was on an OfficeMax team for the second and final year, since they will no longer be the title sponsor of Hood to Coast.
I like to run each set of legs at least two consecutive years so I can compare my performance.
I did legs 7,19,31 my first 2 years
Legs 1, 13, 25 the next 3
Legs 2,14, 26 this year and last.
After having hardly run at all this summer, I wound up besting last years paces by about 20 seconds per mile on each leg! I know a lot of that probably has to do with not having the heat on the second and third portion but even at that, ran leg 2 at 15 seconds per mile faster than last year!
My fastest HtC, by far, in 7 years!
Best part, muscles are a little "good sore" but no aches or pains and ready to run around Mt Hood next weekend!

The team was a blast and had a lot of fun with three new van mates, one from San Francisco and two from Chicago. Our only mishap was the runner on leg 30 caught her foot on the edge of the new pavement, went down and got scraped up on one knee but got back up and still managed to finish under her predicted time!

Saw a few Lizard and non-Lizard friends and kept seeing John Martens...EVERY WHERE!!! Good to see you again buddy! :-)

If I'm on another team next year, it needs to be one that will let me run the leg 5 set. I've had a hankern' to run that hill for a few years now :-)

Marathon training skulker

#9 Dreed

Dreed

Cruise Director

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

Well the 10k time Andi put me down for was 34:30. I suggested 34:45 since I haven't been doing any speed work and my legs are dead from running so much the last three weeks. And I'm not in the shape that I was when I ran Shamrock. But 34:30, fine it should still be within my ability (my Shamrock run was equvalent to 33:40). I didn't end up hitting any of my splits. I was seat nine. I lost 90 seconds on the first leg, 50 sec on the second leg, and over seven minutes on the last leg. I felt ok, but I just didn't have the turn over or top end speed. Actually the last leg I felt horrible. I found a discarded piece of paper towel on the road and had to use it to take a crap. I also got sick after running my first leg and ate a dozen Tums that Carre brought. And I also had a serious energy crash driving out to our last set of legs. Second leg sucks. It's five miles on a gravel road, ditch on both sides. I ran it in the dead of night. After cars passed you, all this dust would fly up and you would no longer be able to see the road you were running on or four feet in front of you. Basically I was running 5:35 mile pace while I was blind. Not a confidence inspiring situation. 

The Slug Hunters, the team Leapin Lizards always goes up against (they beat us again, significantly) invited us over afterward. Had some of their beers, socialized with them, we all walked together to get some ice cream since it was Chuck's birthday. We had a really good time with them.

I chose to run this this weekend because I wanted to make up for bailing on the team last year. My priority wasn't runnning PRs. Of course I am competitive and I always run hard and always want to win. But I wanted to patch things up with my old team mates, I wanted to make it up to them.

Took this funny picture where I was laying on my side horizontally while Carre, Becky, and Sera held me in their arms. It's probably somewhere on Facebook.

Hey Albert- from a fellow leg 9 seat, who ran leg 21 at 2:00AM, your description was spot on. I had a love hate relationship with the vans on the road- when they were coming up I could see briefly where I was and could run a bit more confidently, but then the ensuing dust cloud in my headlamp made the running like flying in the clouds. I found myself headed for the ditch more than once thinking I was in the middle of the road. I think I averaged 6:18 pace on that leg, and even at that pace I felt like I was always a couple steps away from a nosedive.

Dan

#10 Clover

Clover

Reptile dysfunction

• Red Lizards
  • 4823 posts
  • Interests:5.25% and falling.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

I actually have fond memories of that second leg of the Leg 9 group. I ran it in the year I was probably in the best shape of my life, and remember the almost surreal feeling of running really fast (for me) through total darkness pierced by occasional headlights followed by dust clouds. I was scared out of my wits that Mr. Stranger Danger was going to jump from the bushes and do something ghastly to me (I didn't let my mind go too far down the road of WHAT exactly Mr. Stranger Danger would do to me), which only made me run faster. I had an almost eerie confidence in my ability to hurtle through the dark without crashing. I'm pretty sure my 5k PR is on that leg.

I did Leg One this year. I love Leg One. I hit my overall goal pace, which made me happy, and my Nike team came in second in the Mixed Corporate Open division, which made me even happier. We had a lot of fun, we ran hard, we planned our race and raced our plan. It was one of the best-organized teams I've ever been on.

This has been my tenth HTC in a row. I can't even remember which legs I've run when. I know I've done Leg One (3x), Leg 3 (3x), Leg 5 (1x), Leg 9 (1x) and then I think I've done Leg 2 and possibly Leg 10. It starts to blur after a while. I think I'd run any set of legs if asked, but I'm inclined to cherry-pick Leg One going forward. I really enjoy running down that hill fast, and seem to hold up well for my subsequent legs. No one else seems to want that leg, either!

"Why aren't you signed up for the 401k?"

"I'd never be able to run that far."

--Scott Adams, Dilbert

#11 Dreed

Dreed

Cruise Director

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

I actually have fond memories of that second leg of the Leg 9 group. I ran it in the year I was probably in the best shape of my life, and remember the almost surreal feeling of running really fast (for me) through total darkness pierced by occasional headlights followed by dust clouds. I was scared out of my wits that Mr. Stranger Danger was going to jump from the bushes and do something ghastly to me (I didn't let my mind go too far down the road of WHAT exactly Mr. Stranger Danger would do to me), which only made me run faster. I had an almost eerie confidence in my ability to hurtle through the dark without crashing. I'm pretty sure my 5k PR is on that leg.

I did Leg One this year. I love Leg One. I hit my overall goal pace, which made me happy, and my Nike team came in second in the Mixed Corporate Open division, which made me even happier. We had a lot of fun, we ran hard, we planned our race and raced our plan. It was one of the best-organized teams I've ever been on.

This has been my tenth HTC in a row. I can't even remember which legs I've run when. I know I've done Leg One (3x), Leg 3 (3x), Leg 5 (1x), Leg 9 (1x) and then I think I've done Leg 2 and possibly Leg 10. It starts to blur after a while. I think I'd run any set of legs if asked, but I'm inclined to cherry-pick Leg One going forward. I really enjoy running down that hill fast, and seem to hold up well for my subsequent legs. No one else seems to want that leg, either!

I was more worried about bigfoot jumping out- although I probably wouldn't have been able to see him. :tongue:

#12 allezvita

allezvita

motivationally challenged

• Red Lizards
  • 6677 posts
  • Interests:running, dogs, travel, good beer, good wine, good food

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

I did Leg One this year. I love Leg One. I really enjoy running down that hill fast, and seem to hold up well for my subsequent legs. No one else seems to want that leg, either!

I love this leg so much that a friend and I are going to run this again in a week or so.

One of my teammates from the last 5 years jumped ship this year to run with a Yale team with Frank Shorter and Steve Boyer.
"unless you're doing chest compressions, you always have time to go to the bathroom"

"bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi"
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept my word

Plan your dive, dive your plan

when life gives you lemons, add booze

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users