#46 Hockey Puck

Hockey Puck

Power Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

Week of jan 30th

Many of you know my love/hate relationship with my running over the last year in a half. I finally feel like I'm back on track with the passion and thirst to get my fitness back to 2009 levels. Last week I was pretty tired. It's amazing the difference can make as you absorb workouts from previous weeks. I'm feeling strong as both quality and volume increase.

Mon: 5.1 Recovery run @ 8:09 pace

Tues: AM: 10 miles with 9@ tempo Felt pretty good. Did cut downs. 6:50, 6:50, 6;50, 6:46, 6:44, 6:47, 6:38, 6:36, 6:19
PM: 4 easy at 7:30 pace
total: 14 miles

Wed: 14.16 Medium Long run @ 7:08 pace with 10-14 @ 6:51, 11: 6:56, 6:33, 6:31, 6:36

Thursday: 7.57 recovery run @8:28 pace (legs tired)

Friday: 11.5 miles w@ 7:10 pace with last 5 @ 6:52, 6:31, 6:35, 6:34, 6:35 (wanted a PM run but had to cancel b/c meeting popped up)

Saturday: 24 miles in 2:56:35 (7:20 pace) on Boston Course. Dropped my car off downtown boston and wife took me out to Ashland. Was looking to run this much slower but felt great the whole way so went with how I felt. Never felt the effects of the downs and ups. Newton hills not so bad. Stiff cold wind in my face that increased as I got closer to Boston. I have 2 more of these in my cycle. Can't wait to run this on fresh legs marathon day!

Sunday: 7.5 miles recovery at 8;14 pace

Total to date: 84 miles

Core: 2/7 days

10 weeks until Boston #bringitboston12
"Triumph over the adversity is what the marathon is all about. Therefore, you know that there isn't anything in life you can't triumph after that." - Kathrine Switzer

#47 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6047 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

I had a stomach flu all weekend so missed my long run plus another one. Nausea is not the best way to get to race weight! Stomach's a little better now, but last night I slept terribly and I'm debating if a run today will make me feel more or less awake.

It's a good thing I'm not going for a PR.

do3nyr.jpg

#48 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8121 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

Guess I'll start playing. Debating about signing up for another marathon, since several folks has voiced interest in going back to Boston 2013. Need to get a qualifier in somewhere for that.

Still have 17 weeks to go, but better start upping the weekly long run a bit and doing more marathon-specific workouts.

Target race: Three Sisters Marathon http://www.threesistersmarathon.com/

Date: Saturday, June 9th

Goals: C - qualify for Boston (sub 3:30), B - exceed my Q time by 20+ minutes (sub 3:10), A - break 3:00

My training week runs Sunday - Saturday.

Stay tuned...

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#49 BrianD

BrianD

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Guess I'll start playing. Debating about signing up for another marathon, since several folks has voiced interest in going back to Boston 2013. Need to get a qualifier in somewhere for that.

Still have 17 weeks to go, but better start upping the weekly long run a bit and doing more marathon-specific workouts.

Goals: C - qualify for Boston (sub 3:30), B - exceed my Q time by 20+ minutes (sub 3:10), A - break 3:00

Stay tuned...

Talk about upping the degree of difficulty...

Let me know if you need/want someone to do some hills with you in prep for this. As I'm just flittering in and out of actually training at this point I always like something to stay motivated. Perhaps do some repeats of the Firelanes in FP? Council Crest? Tabor? ;-)
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people." - Bill Bowerman
"A bear with determination will defeat a dreamy gazelle every time" - s jurek
One day I may not be able to run. Today is not that day.

#50 Hockey Puck

Hockey Puck

Power Lizard

• Members
  • 1181 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Stay tuned...

Bring it. Would love a rematch from 2008. :-)
"Triumph over the adversity is what the marathon is all about. Therefore, you know that there isn't anything in life you can't triumph after that." - Kathrine Switzer

#51 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8121 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

Bring it. Would love a rematch from 2008. :-)

Yeah, a real rematch. A 54-year old guy running ~50 miles per week vs. a 30-something guy running 80-100 miles per week. :rolleyes:

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#52 Hockey Puck

Hockey Puck

Power Lizard

• Members
  • 1181 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Yeah, a real rematch. A 54-year old guy running ~50 miles per week vs. a 30-something guy running 80-100 miles per week. :rolleyes:

1) I'm almost 40. :growl:
2) I know plenty of 50+ years that could kick my ass :thumbsd:
3) There's no reason a former 2:40 guy can't run a sub 3 marathon. Serious. :bow:
4) I run high mileage b/c I like it and I need to make up for my lack of talent. :notfair:
5) It was a fun way to :poke: you
6) Maybe in 2013 we'll run boston together across the line like :super: and live happily ever after :hug:

#53 BrianD

BrianD

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

Fine, fine. You guys can both lose in 2013 to a 38 year old who'll train 40/wk. while going gray & losing brain cells dealing with two kids who question everythIng :-)
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people." - Bill Bowerman
"A bear with determination will defeat a dreamy gazelle every time" - s jurek
One day I may not be able to run. Today is not that day.

#54 Melissa83

Melissa83

Director At Large

• Board Members
  • 1019 posts
  • Interests:Sub- 3 hours or bust.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

Fine, fine. You guys can both lose in 2013 to a 38 year old who'll train 40/wk. while going gray & losing brain cells dealing with two kids who question everythIng :-)

Aw, it's gonna be depressing to be a 29 year old with minimal responsibilities and a job where I benefit from being a faster runner who loses to ALL you guys.

And on that note, I plan on picking a spring/summer marathon soon so I can qualify and perhaps I'll post my attempts at training here.

#55 Dreed

Dreed

Cruise Director

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

OK- So I'll take the middle ground to see how the experiment works out.

- A no talent 40 year old running only 45-50 mpw.

#56 MandoMan

MandoMan

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • Interests:Music (I play mandolin) cycling and running, skiing, climbing, adrenalin sports in general.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

OK- So I'll take the middle ground to see how the experiment works out.

- A no talent 40 year old running only 45-50 mpw.

OK, I'll pile on...

60 yr old (happens in less that 5 weeks) still in total denial. I've set my sites on Boston one more time but have set my personal qualifer at BQ-20. Still due to impending dodderinghood, that makes it 3:35. My summer attempt will be Vancouver. Mostly because the schedule works the best.

After my AZ R&R performance on 30-50 weeks I am going back to slightly higher mileage again. I'll be looking for 60s with one 70 thrown in for good measure. My 18 week schedule starts next Monday. I plan to run 5 days and train for a fall long course Tri (Black Diamond in Sept) at the same time.

So I plan on 5 days of running, 3 swims and 3 bike days with one day of total recovery. After the marathon I will cut the running to 4 days and increase the swim and run days. At least that what I'm thinking now.

To quote my favorite line from True Grit: "pretty strong talk for a one-eyed fat man."

Steve

#57 lmtortor

lmtortor

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Running, rock-climbing, biking, camping, playing piano/singing, eating ice cream

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

How awesome would it be to run Boston 2013 with all of you! Love it.

In the meanwhile, I will focus on the task at hand. Boston 2012 and a sub-3 sometime in 2012. This is not debatable.

Week of Jan 30

Mon- 6.5 recovery
Tues- 7 miles easy
Wed- 9 mi w 5 x 1200 (~2:45 recovery) @ 4:33, 4:32, 4:35, 4:32, 4:35 (ave 4:33)
Thurs- 8 mi recovery
Fri- 9.5 mi w 10 x 1 min hill sprints (Beacon Hill) and 3.25 mi of fartleks. Cold as f*
Sat- 8 mi recovery
Sun- 16 mi natural progression (marathon course). First 8 at 7:50, last 8 at ~7:10. Overall 7:31/mi

total - 64 miles

core x 3
lift x 2

I was so happy with that Wed track w/o. Another 'PR' for the track. To be fair, the last time I did 1200s was ~5 mo ago, but these were 5 sec faster per repeat. I was delighted to see that. However, I was also pissed that I couldn't go under 4:30.

The Friday run was meant to be easy, but the wind was so painfully cold, I turned it into a workout. It ended up to be really fun (as workouts go).

I picked the perfect day for the long run. That poor sap H Puck ran long into the wind on Sat (and ran very well, I might add). On Sunday it was ~35-40 degrees with no wind and bright sunshine. I was in heaven. I ran out and back over the B Marathon course. I finished with several miles between 6:55-7:05. I feel like there is a chance I could hang with Bill on a long run after that-- provided he runs 6 miles prior.

#58 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8121 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Week of Jan 30

I was so happy with that Wed track w/o. Another 'PR' for the track. To be fair, the last time I did 1200s was ~5 mo ago, but these were 5 sec faster per repeat. I was delighted to see that. However, I was also pissed that I couldn't go under 4:30.

You'd have gone under 4:30 if I'd been there. :thumbsup:

But the better news is that if your goal is to break 3:00 (6:52/mile), you don't really need to be doing intervals under six-minute pace. I would humbly suggest that you add more volume to those track workouts and cut the recoveries a bit. :gym:

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#59 andicamp

andicamp

showing my colors

• Red Lizards
  • 3488 posts
  • Interests:yes

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:11 AM

I strongly disagree. You will benefit from doing some fast intervals. The "you don't need to run any faster than x pace" train of thought is silly, in my opinion. You should strive for balance and for working on all aspects of your running, and from the looks of your training schedules over the past year, I'd say your coach thinks so too.
2010 mileage: 2929
2009 mileage: 2875
2008 mileage: 2436.5
2007 mileage: 2254.5
2010 prs/races: 1/7
2009 prs/races: 15/18
2008 prs/races: 12/17
2007 prs/races: 9/11

#60 Hockey Puck

Hockey Puck

Power Lizard

• Members
  • 1181 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

How awesome would it be to run Boston 2013 with all of you! Love it.

In the meanwhile, I will focus on the task at hand. Boston 2012 and a sub-3 sometime in 2012. This is not debatable.

Week of Jan 30

Mon- 6.5 recovery
Tues- 7 miles easy
Thurs- 8 mi recovery
Fri- 9.5 mi w 10 x 1 min hill sprints (Beacon Hill) and 3.25 mi of fartleks. Cold as f*
Sat- 8 mi recovery
Sun- 16 mi natural progression (marathon course). First 8 at 7:50, last 8 at ~7:10. Overall 7:31/mi

total - 64 miles

core x 3
lift x 2

The Friday run was meant to be easy, but the wind was so painfully cold, I turned it into a workout. It ended up to be really fun (as workouts go).

I picked the perfect day for the long run. That poor sap H Puck ran long into the wind on Sat (and ran very well, I might add). On Sunday it was ~35-40 degrees with no wind and bright sunshine. I was in heaven. I ran out and back over the B Marathon course. I finished with several miles between 6:55-7:05. I feel like there is a chance I could hang with Bill on a long run after that-- provided he runs 6 miles prior.

We'll I am sure you can. :-) We will be doing a MP run on the course. Probably around 18 miles. I'll send you my long run schedule. It basically has a few more 24s an 18 Mile MP run and few 20s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users