3 replies to this topic

#1 kelbelle

kelbelle

http://blog.oregonlive.com/runoregon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4802 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:38 PM

A lot of Lizards say that the volunteering aspect is one of the main reasons they joined the club, but I know it can be really hard to work your schedule in with the volunteering opportunities organized by the club.

Earlier this week I was at an event at the Nike Factory Store up on NE MLK, Nike had awarded $100k to local nonprofits and it was a sort of open house. I learned about some really cool nonprofits that are looking for volunteers, so if you're hoping to broaden your perspective through volunteering check out this post. If anything strikes you, email or PM me for more information.

Some of these organizations are looking for volunteers, others for donations, but all of them are seeking more awareness of their cause. So even if you don't have room in your calendar to add another acitivity, please tell people you know about these organizations.

If you are interested in organizing anything through the lizards please let me know--such as a school supply drive--and we'll make it happen!

1. Hacienda Community Development Corporation
This organization helps develop affordable housing in Oregon. They focus on providing affordable, clean and safe communities in urban areas for Latino families--and they allow working people to live nearer the areas where living-wage jobs are. They also provide cultural and educational guidance for the residents in their communities.

2. Friends of Outdoor School
Friends of Outdoor School provides opportunities for school children to learn about nature, guide interested students towards careers in forestry, science and teaching and offer programs such as the Photo of the Year contest.

3. SMART
Start Making A Reader Today does just that--volunteers spend about one hour a week reading with children K-3rd grade during the school year. Albert said he's volunteered with them, and they're also involved with the JELD-WEN Tradition and the Trail Blazers. It's a really cool program and is all over the metro area.

4. New Avenues for Youth
This is a cool organization that maybe your business would be interested in learning more about. New Avenues for Youth works with a number of companies as varied as IBM, KeyBank, Nike, PGE, Schwabe, and Windermere to provide job opportunities for homeless and at-risk youth. Volunteers can help by "interviewing" youth to give them practice, mentoring, or helping create pathways for them to become gainfully employed. This program is cool because it doesn't just provide handouts--it provides tools for youth to contribute to society.

5. Big Brothers Big Sisters
I'm sure you have heard of BBBS (I actually was one through their school based program when I was in undergrad) but you might not know that they have a jillion ways to be involved. Opportunities range from hosting a BBBS day at your event (we could invite them to a track day or XC meet and the Bigs would experience running with their Littles!) to school-based mentoring to being a Big Brother or Big Sister.

6. School House Supplies
This program was featured on the Today Show last year when Al Roker visited Portland, and it helps PPSD teachers fill the gaps between their supply budgets and their supply wish lists. Donated items fill a warehouse where teachers can come and "shop" for notebooks, markers, erasers, compasses, whatever they need for their students. The free supplies are available for all PPSD teachers and make a huge difference in the classroom.
Dear runners: come to a group run, say hi to us at a race, or just post on the message board!

Check out our group run, race calendars, and news on local running on the <a href="http://blog.oregonli....com/runoregon" target="_blank">RunOregon Blog</a> by me, Joe Dudman, Jim Mattern, Marianne Jones, Marya Van Metre, Jen Sotolongo, and Jonathan Marcus.

<a href="http://www.facebook.....com/runoregon" target="_blank">Check out RunOregon on facebook.</a>

#2 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

Running is serious business.

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2982 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (kelbelle @ Jul 13 2006, 12:38 PM)
3. SMART
Start Making A Reader Today does just that--volunteers spend about one hour a week reading with children K-3rd grade during the school year. Albert said he's volunteered with them, and they're also involved with the JELD-WEN Tradition and the Trail Blazers. It's a really cool program and is all over the metro area.

Yes, I've done this before. It's pretty cool. It's only an hour a week, so the commitment level is low. Also, I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to make monetary donations since I never really know where the money goes. And I can't afford to anyway lol. But here's a chance to help out, and you know EXACTLY who you are helping out, and EXACTLY how they are benefitting.

#3 The_tober

The_tober

Now with a bicycle!

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (kelbelle @ Jul 13 2006, 12:38 PM)
6. School House Supplies
This program was featured on the Today Show last year when Al Roker visited Portland, and it helps PPSD teachers fill the gaps between their supply budgets and their supply wish lists. Donated items fill a warehouse where teachers can come and "shop" for notebooks, markers, erasers, compasses, whatever they need for their students. The free supplies are available for all PPSD teachers and make a huge difference in the classroom.

Those of you at Duniway last week have noticed the sign Hugo had made with information for this.
He will be back at the track tomorrow with a collection bin.

Bring on your school suplies and drop them off tomorrow!

#4 kelbelle

kelbelle

http://blog.oregonlive.com/runoregon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4802 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

That Hugo, he's one sharp kid! happy.png
Dear runners: come to a group run, say hi to us at a race, or just post on the message board!

Check out our group run, race calendars, and news on local running on the <a href="http://blog.oregonli....com/runoregon" target="_blank">RunOregon Blog</a> by me, Joe Dudman, Jim Mattern, Marianne Jones, Marya Van Metre, Jen Sotolongo, and Jonathan Marcus.

<a href="http://www.facebook.....com/runoregon" target="_blank">Check out RunOregon on facebook.</a>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users