• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3728 posts
  • Interests:Once in a while I like to go running.<br /><br />Usually I'm just in it for the beer!

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:22 PM

For those of you who missed out on the crawfish crawl tonight you missed a lot of great lizard performances on this great course. I'm not sure how many lizards were there carrying the flag but I will summarize the performances as best I can recall. Accuracy not guaranteed

Kat turned in a stellar performance and was duly rewarded with some hardware in the form of an age group award.

Congratulate Sewcasual on the successful completion of her first ever road race excl.gif

Steve was on his way to a smashing PR performance before losing the course, and over a minute, on an unmarked turn. This news was a bit of a buzz kill for the flange, but Steve seemed to be taking it in stride. There's always next time Steve, and then you'll be twice as hungry for it!

Let's not forget Rick who was there in a volunteer capacity, using his patented WWF moves to dissuade any and all bandits (those bad, bad people) from attempting to cross the finish and thereby giving the results manager a migraine.

Angela was there sponsoring this great race and also showing off the latest Mizuno has to offer.

Torrey and Daniel also turned in some great performances earning them age group awards in a very strong field. I believe these were some of the best times these guys have put up so far this year.

As for myself I smashed a 5k PR set way back at the 1997 Boys Class A Regional when I was still running for the Black Pack at GRCHS. My time of about 16:20 destroyed that PR by nearly 30 seconds. It was high time for him to go, and today I didn't let the door hit his ass on the way out. The only downside to this, as I was saying to Hatfield last Tuesday at the track, is that when you PR it makes you have to run your track workouts faster. I suppose as the appetite for performance is insatiable, so must be the appetite for labor... Anyway, I won't think about that until Tuesday.

I hope didn't miss anyone, although I probably have. Great job to all the lizards out there tonight!

#2 kristina

kristina

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Running, biking, swimming, well not really swimming.... Jesus &amp; fast motorcycles!

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:13 AM

Very nice recap
thanks
congrats to all you superstars tonight
want to know a little more about what Compassion First is up too?
http://www.compassio...ti-trafficking/

#3 sewcasual

sewcasual

Gecko

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, cooking,running, hiking, reading, soft jazz, anything that takes me outdoors

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:07 AM

Thanks Jeff for your recap. However it was my first road race in Oregon. I have many others in my past.

Thanks Steve for the loan of a Lizard shirt so that I was in full uniform. Maybe someday I will actually own one of my own.

#4 steve sanders

steve sanders

Leapin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:01 PM

grin.png What a great event, it was wonderful to see the lizard colors out there in such numbers! Great course, even though I did indeed stray from the appointed rounds,(note to self: keep the lead group insight next time!). There were some wonderful efforts last night, Congrats to all those PR's. Nice showing Lizards! grin.png

#5 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10790 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:50 PM

Great race everyone who was out there last night. Everyone I saw looked happy with how they did - even Sanders. Way to keep a positive attitude, in spite of the fact you were feeling on course for a new PR and then made a wrong turn on the course. You're a positive example for all of us. [As a sidenote, Steve - I was just getting my Camelback ready for my run around Adams tomorrow, and realized I still have your water filter. So, I hope you don't have some epic trip planned in the next while before I get it back to you.]

And I ditto the nice event write up, Jeff. That was a great race for you last night (and me too, since I ran a 5K PR). You looked strong out there for the majority of the race - and I'm confident that you've got the skills to find another gear for that last half mile. Just think, you PR'ed by nearly 30 seconds last night, but based on what I've seen of your efficient form and drive to keep pushing yourself, I think you could shave off another minute. 15:30, here you come. The next time we race a 5K together, I'm going to expect to see you pull away from me and keep on going...

#6 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5836 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:30 PM

Great show guys (that being a gender-inclusive term these days, right?). I note only two things: Torrey didn't mention his time. Cough it up, Torrey. I think I remember, but I'd hate to post wrong! And Danimal ran an unofficial 15:49 (i.e., might be plus or minus a tick when the results are posted). 'Job, Daniel. So you just have to keep threatening yourself with the Lance Armstrong treatment, huh?

Rick

#7 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 06:57 AM

Awesome!!! Great to hear about still more lizard PR's as the summer of '05 reign of terror (as inspired by the guillotine and TDG) continues.

Don't these people ever learn? I mean, how many races in a row can you set a PR? How many races in a row can you set PR's by 20-30 seconds? For Diep and Danimal, the answer seems to be "for as long as I want to." Look out Pints to Pasta and XC series...

And yes, in case you have not been following other threads on the board, a 5K PR was how Torrey chose to start off his weekend. He ended his weekend with a 34 mile run around Mt. Adams on Sunday. You go, Mr. Versatility! Some lizards just "want it all"!

Way to set fire to the course everyone. I hope the Tualatin authorities were able to handle the 4 alarm fire that broke out

#8 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • 3728 posts
  • Interests:Once in a while I like to go running.<br /><br />Usually I'm just in it for the beer!

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:59 AM

Looks like results are up for all those who are curious.

http://www.runwithpa...om/crawfish.htm

I am a little suspicious of my time as I thought I saw 16:22 rolling by as I crossed. Torrey's time seems to be right on what he thought and there was only that one guy between us. I can't imagine the person at the finish airballing on the stop watch by 10 seconds...

#9 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:03 AM

So Danimal beat his goal time by 20 seconds?

Awesome.

Check out the big gap between 19th and 20th place - 1:20!

In short - this was a very competitive race with some great talent up front.

Not every day you see sub-5 times in Portland.

Wow.

Actually - "ow" may be more appropriate!

Hey - who is that in 17th place at 16:58? "Banana Man"?

That's right sports fans - Paul Curran ran that fast WEARING the banana costume.

Announcer informed the person finishing behind Paul:

"You just got beat by a guy wearing a banana!"

As Rocco likes to say:

"Dese kids is just a bunch of fruits!"

#10 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:13 PM

OK, am I going to have to be the ugly one to suggest that the course was probably short, or aided in some fashion, e.g. strong tail winds, or EPO in the pre-race crawfish? Or what's special about this course? Seems like too many similarly fast times. I wouldn't want folks to feel let down if future results aren't up to the same level. But if it was accurate, then absolutely brilliant!
I could dig deeper..., but then I'd be further in a hole.

#11 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10790 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:42 PM

We had the "was the course short" discussion on our cool down. It sounds like the course has been measured and remeasured, and is an accurate 5K. Group concensus was that the course distance is correct, but that what likely makes it fast is that there is a perfect mixture of different sloped terrain. Most of it is fairly flat, but you mix it up a little bit. You start with a slight uphill that you don't notice on the way out, there is a small (but substantial) "dip" down/uphill section in the middle, and then you finish going backward on the same road you ran out on - so a slight downhill to help to kick it in on that last mile.

Based on my own sense of effort output vs. time, that's about what I planned to run. The top 3 guys (Workman, Gonzales and Chuck Coates) all felt their times were accurate - so perhaps everyone needs to put Crawfish Crawl on their list of events to race next summer...

#12 gnupaul

gnupaul

Gila Monster

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1956 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:44 PM

Not as exciting as these times, but I ran in the Run for Homeless on Saturday morning and finished 5th overall, second masters, in 37:01 (2 seconds slower than RhW). First place went to Larry Merrifield of FitRight, second to another FitRight guy. First place woman was Jenny Teppo whom some of you know.

I was the only Lizard out there. People asked, I said Crawfish and Crater Lake sucked up all the lizards.

Great race, by the way. Very well laid out course, smooth and flat and pretty fast. But too hot even by 8:30 am!

#13 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • 3728 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (David Hatfield @ Aug 15 2005, 01:13 PM)
OK, am I going to have to be the ugly one to suggest that the course was probably short, or aided in some fashion, e.g. strong tail winds, or EPO in the pre-race crawfish?  Or what's special about this course?  Seems like too many similarly fast times.  I wouldn't want folks to feel let down if future results aren't up to the same level.  But if it was accurate, then absolutely brilliant!

There was some talk of this post-race. The general consensus was that the course was good. This was mostly based on testimony by a few guys who know the guy who set up the course. They claimed that he was very concerned with accuracy and measured the course "about a dozen different times" and tweaked it until it was perfect. Perhaps Torrey can elaborate. If the course were off I would have to think it was measured by a bad wheel, because the course definitely seemed consistent. None of my splits seemed too short or too long compared to what I was expecting.

Another side note on the accuracy of the course... If the mile markers were in precise locations I also PR'd by a few seconds in the 2-mile on Friday night! (10:17)

As far as wind goes, I think it was negligible as I don't recall it and the course is pretty sheltered. Plus it's a loop. I think the course is nearly ideal for running fast times as well. You spend the first mile on a false flat, slowly gaining elevation. The second mile has one big downhill followed immediately by a matching climb. In the third mile you reap the benefit of the uphill first mile and get a little help bringing it home.

#14 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10790 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:55 PM

Jeff - from now on, you can be the one who elaborates wink.gif

David is just jealous that he couldn't come out and run a 5K PR himself, since he was too busy preparing for their epic run around Crater Lake.

#15 David Hatfield

David Hatfield

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:21 AM

I'm not familiar with Gonzales' race times. Chuck has run that fast on a track this year, though his most recent previous time was over 16, I believe.

The surprising times are many of the next people. Danimal 15:48 (his 33:49 RHW 10k predicts a 16:17 5k, using mcmillan). Torrey 16:02 (you did 16:50's at Iris festival). Jeff D 16:10 (your RHW 35:15 predicts a 16:57). John Foland 16:16 (best previous 5k this year that I'm aware of is over 17:00). Tom Moritz 16:23 (best previous 5k this year that I'm aware of is high 16:50's). And I've been training with some of you, especially John & Tom, and my best recent time is 16:57 on the track and I'm not about to pop out a sub-16:30. Large time drops, e.g. 10 or more seconds per mile, for people who are already in good shape, are unusual!?! And to have a bunch of people experience a similar drop at the same time seems highly unlikely.

Based on this, I'd guestimate that the course was around 3 miles, not 5k.

I believe that Dave & Paula like to have accurate courses. (Do you know you guys took all of the correct turns? Maybe Steve actually went the correct way. wink.gif )

Topography ideal for running - myth or fact? My gut and general knowledge of physics tells me that a flat course is the fastest course. At least one reference, Alberto & Rick's, says that courses with altitude gain & loss are slower than flat courses. And most track records are faster than road records!?! I can imagine that maybe some variation might be beneficial, as you work different muscles, but even if it is faster, I'd think that the difference would be small. But if there is something to topographic speed enhancement, someone should engineer the perfect course and people will flock to it to set records.

I do believe that some, if not all of you, have been getting faster in recent months. And I don't wish to diminish that. It's just that the results seem to good to be true. And I'd bet my bottom dollar that it was short (or the time was long.) OK, not my bottom dollar. But I will bet any of you (except Danny & Chuck) 20:1 that you wouldn't equal or better your time if you ran on the Lincoln track (once you're adequately rested.) Call it the Lincoln Challenge. If I win, you give me a Lincoln. If you win, I give you a Franklin. grin.png
I could dig deeper..., but then I'd be further in a hole.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users