• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

#31 Wendygofaster

Wendygofaster

Water Water Everywhere

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Running, running, Sebastian, running, running, Dave, running, My cat, and Sleep

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:30 PM

Yes it is true, I will be running the Full, Dave the Half. We will bring the entertainment (Sebastian) and something to eat. Not sure yet since I can't think that far ahead. Maybe some Adult Frost Beverages and something almost healthy like Chips. thumbsup.png
"Mommy, are you sweaty?" - Sebastian Terris
"Did you win a medal?" - Sebastian Terris, after my recent training run (not race)
"We need to buy a new cat, this one scratches me" - Sebastian

If this running thing starts to feel to easy, you are probably doing it wrong.

#32 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10790 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (kelbelle @ Jun 18 2007, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did anyone notice that everyone that is racing is invited to the BBQ?

In addition to the scrumptious island strawberry shortcake join the big Potluck BBQ, hosted by the Red Lizard Running Club. It's a potluck so the food choices are too numerous to list and is only limited by your imagination.

Sean and I have talked about this. After the fact, of course, since he had the original ad for the race in Racecenter last year with a BBQ and a lizard logo on it. He thought it looked like such fun last year that everyone ought to have the same experience. But the most important ingredient in the "experience" is that we're all part of the Lizard family. So, a giant BBQ isn't going to work.

We are not providing food for anyone besides ourselves. So the goal for everyone who is signing up to bring something is to pick something so that we all contribute somewhat equally. That means that for those who sign up for beer or meat, you don't need to spend $$$ to bring enough for 50 people - let's divide the financial load (so we can multiple people sign up for the same items). The potluck-style always seems to work well - much better than a few people planning an entire menu and charging everyone some amount of $$. Although... that may not be a bad idea if we really think we're going to end up feeding EVERYONE...

What will likely happen is that we will have our BBQ in one area, the Foot Traffic training group will have theirs in another, and a few race attendees may stick around. Sean is planning to buy a bunch of burgers, dogs and buns for the masses - so if we want... we could volunteer our grills and make up food for the masses (if FT buys food). But I don't want TRL to be individally buying and supplying food or slaving away all afternoon cooking food for other people. I need to talk with Sean again to see what he's really envisioning, but I would love to replicate what we did last year. And perhaps volunteer to cook up grill items (if FT buys them) for anyone who runs the race.

What are others' thoughts?

#33 Doug

Doug

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Members
  • 7221 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:31 PM

I can bring boca or garden burgers...or both.

#34 Wendygofaster

Wendygofaster

Water Water Everywhere

• Red Lizards
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Running, running, Sebastian, running, running, Dave, running, My cat, and Sleep

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (Mike Sanders @ Jun 18 2007, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in on the half and will bring something...not sure what yet as my wife does the grocery deal!

Shouldn't that be Grocery Detail? wink.gif
"Mommy, are you sweaty?" - Sebastian Terris
"Did you win a medal?" - Sebastian Terris, after my recent training run (not race)
"We need to buy a new cat, this one scratches me" - Sebastian

If this running thing starts to feel to easy, you are probably doing it wrong.

#35 MandoMan

MandoMan

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • 949 posts
  • Interests:Music (I play mandolin) cycling and running, skiing, climbing, adrenalin sports in general.

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:31 PM

I'm in for the half. I'm planning to break 1:40. (My PR is 1:43).

I'm up for car pooling. Not sure what I'll bring yet.

SteveW

#36 kat

kat

grasshopper

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

I'm doing the Half. Will bring Broccoli Salad. I think Gary may bring more hamburgers or something else that is needed?
I think The Law & I will be cruising on this one like last year........ rofl.png PR will be to have fun!

kat cool.gif
Erlichda!

#37 Running Bear

Running Bear

Runnin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:09 PM

Yahooo! I am in for the Flat 1/2 again this year! This was such a fun, countryside race and so great to be out there with a ton of Lizards!
The pot-luck last year was a blast, such good chomps!
Mimi and I will probably bake up some tasty sweet treats, yummmy!
Looking forward to it all on the 4th! Grins, ~Erika grin.png
~ " Be the change you wish to see in the World. " ~ Gandhi

" A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into an exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more. Nobody is going to win a 5,000 m race after running an easy two miles. Not with me. If I lose, forcing the pace all the way, well, at least I can live with myself." ~ Steve Prefontaine

" It is never too late to be what you might have been." ~George Elliot

" We have a choice to use the gift of our lives to make the World a better place." ~Jane Goodall

#38 kelbelle

kelbelle

http://blog.oregonlive.com/runoregon

• Red Lizards
  • 4802 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:06 AM

I think as long as Sean is buying food and we have willing volunteers that don't mind grilling all day, it could be a good thing for the club to give people a chance to meet some members... It just sounds sort of like we're hosting this BBQ and the potluck style is more of a mention. I imagine most people will not plan on staying, race, see us all hanging around and remember "oh yes, it said something about a BBQ..." and wander over. It's not like these people will be scavengers; just runners like us...we just need to be prepared. Maybe we can bring extra membership brochures and the most recent Gazette and even print out a few membership apps just in case people fall in love with us at the BBQ and have to join up then and there. Could happen. We're pretty cute.
Dear runners: come to a group run, say hi to us at a race, or just post on the message board!

Check out our group run, race calendars, and news on local running on the <a href="http://blog.oregonli....com/runoregon" target="_blank">RunOregon Blog</a> by me, Joe Dudman, Jim Mattern, Marianne Jones, Marya Van Metre, Jen Sotolongo, and Jonathan Marcus.

<a href="http://www.facebook.....com/runoregon" target="_blank">Check out RunOregon on facebook.</a>

#39 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (kelbelle @ Jun 19 2007, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think as long as Sean is buying food and we have willing volunteers that don't mind grilling all day, it could be a good thing for the club to give people a chance to meet some members... It just sounds sort of like we're hosting this BBQ and the potluck style is more of a mention. I imagine most people will not plan on staying, race, see us all hanging around and remember "oh yes, it said something about a BBQ..." and wander over. It's not like these people will be scavengers; just runners like us...we just need to be prepared. Maybe we can bring extra membership brochures and the most recent Gazette and even print out a few membership apps just in case people fall in love with us at the BBQ and have to join up then and there. Could happen. We're pretty cute.

Yeh, and then when they don't show up for other TRL events and you say "What, am I not cute anymore?
It's this pimple isn't it! You don't like my hair cut... do you!" and they say "Hey, I just joined for the free food.
You guys were leading me on. There has not any free food since the 4th of July" poke.gif

This is gonna be fun. I'm looking forward to the BBQ more than running 13.1 miles!
Kind of the carrot in front of the , thing. tongue.png

Marathon training skulker

#40 rizzo

rizzo

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3609 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:45 AM

please add - sub 120 for my time. (that's minutes!)

#41 wmass925

wmass925

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:running, all sports, Hiking. Huge Boston sports teams fan(Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins.) Also a huge Penn St. football fan.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (MandoMan @ Jun 19 2007, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in for the half. I'm planning to break 1:40. (My PR is 1:43).

I'm up for car pooling. Not sure what I'll bring yet.

SteveW

Steve,
That would be a pace for the first half that I would be happy with. Maybe I will run with you at that pace for the first half.
Although, I have to recheck the starting times. The full marathoners may start at a seperate time from the half marathoners.

Mark

#42 Tgirl

Tgirl

jill of all (running) trades

• Red Lizards
  • 4214 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:18 AM

I'm not sure that we should be so negative on the potluck style BBQ for everyone.

First off I think that Kelly is right in her guess that relatively few non lizards will actually stick around for the BBQ.

Seocndly, the brochure does say potluck. One would hope that anyone who does stick around will bring food for the party. I know that there will be people who will stick around and won't bring food, but I bet the number will be small.

Lastly we could use the BBQ as a recruiting tool for TRL.

I think if we tell non lizards something like following:

"This BBQ is intended for lizard members but we would also welcome new members to our party. Here is an application form. "

Some people will get huffy over the tactic but I'm sure we would get new members as well.

Just my $.02

Joanna
"The real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgivable, is the violence that we do to ourselves when we're too afraid to be who we really are." Lana Wachowski.

#43 Aaron

Aaron

Repressed Sprinter

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:10 PM

I'll bring some chocolate milk. It's super after a long run!

It's a simple question of weight ratios

#44 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:27 PM

I'll be there for the half. 1:17:59 is the hope.

I'll bring hummus, pita, fruit juice, and chocolate cake.

I'll also see what's still needed closer to the date.

Should be an amazing lizard turnout!

Now we just need to cross our fingers for COOL weather...

#45 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10790 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Win Goodbody @ Jun 19 2007, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now we just need to cross our fingers for COOL weather...

Win - the race starts at 7:30, so how about if we say cool morning, but warming up for the afternoon??? We want perfect BBQ weather!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users