#1 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:36 PM

Hello Lizards,

As some of you know, I recently quit my real job to pursue theatre for a while. Somehow now that I am not getting paid I have about three times as much to do.

I am proud to tell you about the first show I have produced. Will you come check it out? Please, pretty please? Ok, here's some key info to whet your appetite:

It's only $5 and includes FREE drinks and food afterwards!

I have organized a season warmup at CoHo Productions that plays the next two Monday nights - September 10 and 17.

This is a staged reading, which means the actors have rehearsed the script, but there is no set, and they read from a script at stands. This is a great play, and it's all in the words, so even though there is no set, a compelling and riveting story will be told. We have four of Portland's top actors involved - these are all people you see at Portland Center Stage and other top local theaters.

So if you are looking for something to do on one of the next two Monday nights, come to my theatre party! Please! It's going to be fun!

Full details below.

Thank you everyone. Your support means a lot.

+++

**CoHo Productions Announces a Staged Reading of SIGHT UNSEEN by Donald Margulies**

As a preview for its season opener COLLECTED STORIES by Donald Margulies, CoHo Productions is presenting a staged reading of another Margulies play, SIGHT UNSEEN.

The cast in alphabetical order:

Christine Calfas as PATRICIA
Chris Harder as JONATHAN WAXMAN
Val Landrum as GRETE
Patrick Wohlmut as NICK

Directed by Jack Featheringill.

Produced by Win Goodbody.

The reading is two nights only at CoHo Theater in Northwest Portland.

Monday, September 10 @ 7 PM
Monday, September 17 @ 7 PM

The show runs two hours and 15 minutes with a short intermission.

Tickets are $5. Doors open at 6:30 PM. Please call the box office at 503.220.2646 for reservations.

FREE drinks and refreshments will be provided after the reading. Please come join us as we say goodbye to summer and kick off our fall theatre season! It’s a party.

CoHo Theater
2257 NW Raleigh Street
Portland, OR 97210
http://www.cohoproductions.org

+++

More on SIGHT UNSEEN by Donald Margulies…

In SIGHT UNSEEN, JONATHAN WAXMAN has left the lower middle class Jewish world of his Brooklyn childhood far behind. Now a superstar painter at the top of the New York art world, WAXMAN is in demand and must devote as much time to cultivating his image as creating art. Wealthy patrons buy his future works “sight unseen”, and a publicist manages his social calendar. Despite all the success and financial rewards, something is missing. Surrounded by hype and buzz, WAXMAN has lost track of who he wanted to be.

On the way to a major retrospective of his work in London, JONATHAN stops in to visit former lover and painting model PATRICIA, who is living a spare existence in the British countryside with husband NICK, a bitter English archaeologist. The two give JONATHAN a chilly welcome.

JONATHAN discovers PATRICIA still has an early portrait he did of her at art school. The painting represents everything JONATHAN has lost, and he desperately wants it for his exhibition. However, PATRICIA has never forgiven WAXMAN for discarding her years earlier and does not want her portrait to become yet another vaunted example of JONATHAN’S brilliance.

In a separate storyline at the London gallery opening, German art student GRETE interviews WAXMAN and cuts ferociously to the heart of his beliefs about modern art, fame, the holocaust, assimilation, and the role of the artist in modern society.

Moving backward and forward in time, Margulies expertly assembles the threads of this high octane story into a masterpiece. Arguably his finest play, SIGHT UNSEEN goes like a rocket and won an Obie in 1992. Margulies won the Pulitzer for DINNER WITH FRIENDS in 2000.

#2 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8737 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:02 PM

Sounds interesting.
I'll be there. thumbsup.png

Marathon training skulker

#3 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10793 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:27 AM

QUOTE (Win Goodbody @ Sep 4 2007, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's only $5 and includes FREE drinks and food afterwards!

Race fees may be on the rise... but that's downright affordable! happy.png

Hopefully Angela and I can make it this coming Monday.

#4 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:18 AM

I'd like to go. happy.png

do3nyr.jpg

#5 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • 2574 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:49 AM

Hi lizards. Thanks for your interest! I am so excited you are thinking of coming. The Prez is right - you won't find better theatre value anywhere. And we have food and drink! It's a PARTY, so come for a fun Monday night.

I think you will enjoy this story. It's really well put together. Theatre is what we have left of the ancient art and cultural form of storytelling. We file into a room, the lights go down. And then the story begins. Anything can happen in the theatre.

From the looks of loof's page count, in a few more months she'll be ready for a reading!

#6 rizzo

rizzo

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3609 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:51 PM

i'm gonna try and make it. i'm scheduled to be in trial both weeks. if the trial dates change, i'll be there.

#7 Steve

Steve

Qatar Flange

• Red Lizards
  • 2950 posts
  • Interests:Orienteering, Running, Geocaching, all the usual backpacking/camping/hiking/climbing stuff

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:44 PM

I've put this on my calendar for the 10th. So unless an unexpected trial comes up.... whistle.png fear.png
Life is short and we have not too much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel the way with us.
Oh, be swift to love. Make haste to be kind.
- Henri Frederic Amiel

#8 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE (Steve @ Sep 5 2007, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've put this on my calendar for the 10th. So unless an unexpected trial comes up.... whistle.png fear.png

hijack.gif So, you think you might get caught by the 10th? Stop being so obvious! hijack.gif

Marathon training skulker

#9 Running Bear

Running Bear

Runnin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:31 PM

Yahoo Win! Yeah, your 1st Theatre Production, what exciting times! Awesome hard work for keeping the Arts alive in PDX!
Mim and I will be there to support your show! What great fun!
Grins, ~Erika flowers.png
~ " Be the change you wish to see in the World. " ~ Gandhi

" A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into an exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more. Nobody is going to win a 5,000 m race after running an easy two miles. Not with me. If I lose, forcing the pace all the way, well, at least I can live with myself." ~ Steve Prefontaine

" It is never too late to be what you might have been." ~George Elliot

" We have a choice to use the gift of our lives to make the World a better place." ~Jane Goodall

#10 rizzo

rizzo

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3609 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (Steve @ Sep 5 2007, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dork! grin.png o.k. i will be there case settled yesterday.

#11 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:23 AM

I can't make it tonight, something work-related came up. sad.gif But I will plan to be there next week!)

do3nyr.jpg

#12 julz

julz

50k sprinter!

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts
  • Interests:Running, Horses, Rabbits, Kayaking, wine tasting, 80's new wave, yes I'm old

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:26 AM

so will I
artificial air freshener is toxic!!

#13 The_tober

The_tober

Now with a bicycle!

• Red Lizards
  • 2450 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:31 AM

Joining the lame work excuse group :-(
Next week it is for me.

#14 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • 3730 posts
  • Interests:Once in a while I like to go running.<br /><br />Usually I'm just in it for the beer!

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:51 AM

Anyone doing a happy hour beforehand?

#15 allezvita

allezvita

motivationally challenged

• Red Lizards
  • 6677 posts
  • Interests:running, dogs, travel, good beer, good wine, good food

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:55 AM

I'm on call tonight, but will try for next week

Happy hour before would be fun!
"unless you're doing chest compressions, you always have time to go to the bathroom"

"bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi"
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept my word

Plan your dive, dive your plan

when life gives you lemons, add booze

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users