• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5779 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

Last week, Warren and Patty let it be known that they're desperately short of aid station volunteers for the "marathon course" 20-mile training run that the do . . . I don't have the date. Either in 2 or 4 weeks. As of Saturday apparently the Lizards are the only ones signed up. We always set up the tent and provide volunteers (they provide the goodies) for one of the several aid stations on this course. But there are *a lot* more of us now than there used to be. I'm wondering if we can just take over all the aid stations for that day. Obviously the tent can only be one place, but we can be at other spots.

Is there interest in this?

Rick

#2 kelbelle

kelbelle

http://blog.oregonlive.com/runoregon

• Red Lizards
  • 4802 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

Depending on when it is...and if PMC is providing all the goodies. It would be great to have the whole course painted red!
Dear runners: come to a group run, say hi to us at a race, or just post on the message board!

Check out our group run, race calendars, and news on local running on the <a href="http://blog.oregonli....com/runoregon" target="_blank">RunOregon Blog</a> by me, Joe Dudman, Jim Mattern, Marianne Jones, Marya Van Metre, Jen Sotolongo, and Jonathan Marcus.

<a href="http://www.facebook.....com/runoregon" target="_blank">Check out RunOregon on facebook.</a>

#3 NextLizard_Tiger Paul_*

NextLizard_Tiger Paul_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:29 PM

It's Aug 19 & 20. I had Katie Hunter put us down for Sun Aug 20. As you said, in the past we've had one aid station. All the aid stations? Is that four aid stations? They like you to have at least two people per aid station to man the table and it's a multi hour commitment starting at 7:30 am... so far I think IBS and Seven expressed interest and I'm sure we'll have more volunteer b/w now and then...

#4 kelbelle

kelbelle

• Red Lizards
  • 4802 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:21 PM

I'll still be in Iowa, if I were here I'd do it though. I did it last year--my first official "lizard" activity, with Andrew, Albert and Kristen. It was a lot of fun and the runners truly appreciate you. (it's nice to feel loved)
Dear runners: come to a group run, say hi to us at a race, or just post on the message board!

Check out our group run, race calendars, and news on local running on the <a href="http://blog.oregonli....com/runoregon" target="_blank">RunOregon Blog</a> by me, Joe Dudman, Jim Mattern, Marianne Jones, Marya Van Metre, Jen Sotolongo, and Jonathan Marcus.

<a href="http://www.facebook.....com/runoregon" target="_blank">Check out RunOregon on facebook.</a>

#5 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5779 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (Tiger Paul @ Jul 24 2006, 02:29 PM)
It's Aug 19 & 20.  I had Katie Hunter put us down for Sun Aug 20.  As you said, in the past we've had one aid station.  All the aid stations?  Is that four aid stations?  They like you to have at least two people per aid station to man the table and it's a multi hour commitment starting at 7:30 am...  so far I think IBS and Seven expressed interest and I'm sure we'll have more volunteer b/w now and then...

Painting the course red was what I'd thought, and four aid stations sounds about right. The length of the commitment would vary with the station. The early ones on Naito, for example, will open and close earlier and be shorter in duration, since the groups aren't as far spread out. The one where we tend to set up the tent is out near mile 22 or so of the Marathon, and catches people out and back when the groups are very spread out. That would be a long commitment.

The marathon provides the goodies. We'd provide labor. So we'd need something like 8 people, which ought to be easy. If we're going to do it, though, we ought to let them know ASAP, so they can concentrate on drumming up folks for Saturday and leave Sunday to us. I would do this if I'm in town that weekend. I don't know my shedule that far out, yet.

#6 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

Running is serious business.

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2982 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:10 PM

I'm not sure if 8 peeps is enough to do the entire course. I'm guessing you'd have to close to double that amount. Last year we had aid station 14? and 22. And as Kelly said, we had a four man team. Basically, we started out with four at the first aid station, but eventually two have leave to set up the second aid staiton, and two need to stay behind, and then the remaining two join up with the first two - so I really don't see how this can be done with jsut 8 people...

Granted you don't need four people to man an aid station for 99% of the time. But with only eight people it would be a mad scramble to keep up with the runners and setitng up aid stations.

#7 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5779 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:26 PM

Maybe I'm missing something. Each team sets up an aid station. They don't move. There are typically more thann 2 at an aid station, but they're not needed. We've always done this super-fancy, with music, etc. But if we took the entire day, we'd have the super-fancy (and presumably four people, music, lizard stickers, the tent) at one site, probably the usual one, over near the start of Pints to Pasta, and the others would be simpler. Traditionally, a training run rest stop is a card table water cups (and someone to pour) and saucers of goodies. They've been running 'em this year with fewer than 4 people. You just have to keep water cups poured in advance.

The size of the runs is also way down this year. Portland FIT is eating into them bigtime. I've been told that Portland FIT now has 1500 folks who paid up for its runs, though they're not at all of them. The Marathon training groups had 200-300 each day as recently as 2004, but they're more like 60 these days.

Rick

#8 kelbelle

kelbelle

• Red Lizards
  • 4802 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:09 PM

I agree that you should technically only NEED 2 people to set it up...but many of the runners, especially at the slower paces, take a real break at the aid station. They'd appreciate someone to give them a little encouragement, plus some of the groups are pretty big and extra people could attend to handing out bandaids, "checking" with each runner to see if they're doing okay, especially at the end. Plus it's just more fun.

I actually wish I was going to be here, because I think it would be a lot of fun. Maybe to recruit volunteers you can come up with four "themed" ad stations: let the volunteering lizards create a more fun experience and they can sign up for whichever one they like the most. You could go a number of ways with it. Either fun themes, like an island oasis, a rock and roll concert, etc; or a TRL event themed series. One aid station could be geared towards our summer series, one towards the TDG, one could present the membership benefits, and one could promote the XC series. Give the runners a little something more fun to look forward to, and to talk about during and after the run (and encourage them to check out the lizards by showing them ALL the club has to offer).

OK now I am really sad I'll be gone. Maybe we can do this for another 20 mile training run?

#9 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

Running is serious business.

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2982 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (Rick Lovett @ Jul 24 2006, 03:26 PM)
Maybe I'm missing something. Each team sets up an aid station. They don't move.

Last year, each team was responsible for TWO aid stations and we did move. The four of us set up the first aid station, then split up so half could set up the second.

#10 NextLizard_Tiger Paul_*

NextLizard_Tiger Paul_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:28 PM

fyi.. here's the call to duty from PMC:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Training Run Aid Stations!!
-----------------------------------------------------------
We will have aid stations approximately every 2 miles just like marathon day. There will be water and half strength sports drink at the stops. The marathon provides the supplies and you, the runners, provide the volunteers. In return for the free training runs, we ask that you volunteer to man an aid station one weekend during the training period. You can sign up for your turn at the runs or by emailing coaches@teamoregon.com. We will have the same number of aid stations for the runs on the marathon course August 19 & 20 and all future runs; we need lots of volunteers. Before your turn, we call or email and remind you and tell you where and when to arrive. When you show up, we give you jugs of water, already diluted sports drink, cups, pitchers, garbage bags and first aid supplies. Some volunteers have been known to provide special treats such as jelly beans, gummy bears or tootsie rolls. You can ask your family to help as well. If you've never been a volunteer, this is your opportunity to help you fellow marathoners.

Please post here on this thread if you can make it out with TRL to run aid stations on Sunday August 20. As you see, we can't have too many volunteers for this...! happy.png

#11 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:24 AM

I think I can. I already did my PMC volunteer duty but it would be much more fun to do it with the Lizards. tongue.gif You really do need at least 3 at each station, and 4 is better.

do3nyr.jpg

#12 rizzo

rizzo

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3609 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:39 AM

i think i can do this.

#13 NextLizard_Tiger Paul_*

NextLizard_Tiger Paul_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:01 AM

Okay... we've been asked if we can do Saturday instead of Sunday:

Hi Paul, would it be possibile for your crew of volunteers helping the Marathon Course run change from working on Sunday Aug 20 to Sat Aug 19? I have a terrible shortage of people on the Sat. I hope this works, if it doesn't I will see what else I can do????

So... given the new date... post here or PM or email me and let me know if you can volunteer your Saturday morning to man an aid station for the PMC run that Saturday. We want a big Lizard presence out there to promote the club!

#14 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:06 AM

Hmm, Saturdays are a little tougher for me... sad.gif

do3nyr.jpg

#15 KristieA

KristieA

European Race Reporter