Photo

PDX Marathon Aid Station Volunteers needed!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff M

Jeff M

Past President

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2637 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hey gang! Once again, Team Red Lizard will be operating the infamous 24-Mile Aid Station at the 2012 Portland Marathon on Sunday Oct. 7. As always, our aid station will be located 24 miles from the start (hey, why not?) at North Interstate Avenue and North Clark Avenue, 1/4 mile west of the Broadway bridge.

At this point in the marathon most of the runners and walkers are running low on energy. That’s where we come in. Can you spell HIGH ENERGY? Can you cheer like a maniac and hand out cups of water to thirsty participants while the music is cranking? Then we need you on that wall! We need you on that Aid Station!

Shifts Available:

All day: Jeff and Kate
Announcing: Chris D and Dave A

1st Shift Set-Up Crew ~ 6:45 am – 9am Need at least 7-10 folks
Liz S, Nancy, Marcia R, John M,

2nd Shift Am/Starting Shift ~ 8:45 am – 11am Need lots of folks
Melissa Wiseman, Ryanne, Bhavana, Mary Lou, Megan B, Angela L, Leigh A, Bonnie M (plus perhaps sister Sandy), Shelley, Gary C, Koushik, Mark (after pacing), Jacob B, Mike M (10AM-2PM),

3rd Shift Prime Time Shift A ~ 10:45am – 1pm Need lots of folks
Robert T, Angela L, Julz, Sarah Z, Kristen, Tiffany W, Andrew S, Karen P,

4th Shift Prime Time Shift B ~ 12:45pm – 3pm Need lots of folks
Stephanie, Dave W (after pacing), Raghav W, DJ, Teri O

5th Shift Clean-Up Crew ~ 2pm – 3pm
Kelly M, Jeremy C

Be sure to check the weather that morning before you go and dress accordingly.

To sign up for any shift(s), just post in this thread. Or send an e-mail to Jeff Malmquist at jmalmquist6974@gmail.com or Kate Gigler at kate@redlizardrunning.com.

Questions, let me know!

Jeff
Home 503 227 2544

If I had some ham I could make ham and eggs if I had some eggs.

#2 Julie

Julie

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

If you locate the Aid station where it traditionally is you might be on the wrong side of the street.

I had a chance to run the new route with the PMC and from what I could tell runners might very well be on the opposite side of the street at that point. Please check this out with the Marathon committee. You are where the course changes are and I'm not sure when they will have runners cross interstate to avoid the Max line but it could be that runners will be on the left side of the street. (Runners won't be taked a right turn onto the Broadway bridge....runners will be crossing under the overpass and taking a left and running on the left hand side of the Broadway bridge...I imagine they'll need to be on the other side of the Max line all the way down Interstate)

I'll be there at about 10:06 AM depending on how the start goes off...I can't wait to see the Lizards. Hand me some water and send me on my way to the finish.

#3 Jeff M

Jeff M

Past President

• Admin
  • 2637 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

If you locate the Aid station where it traditionally is you might be on the wrong side of the street.

I had a chance to run the new route with the PMC and from what I could tell runners might very well be on the opposite side of the street at that point. Please check this out with the Marathon committee. You are where the course changes are and I'm not sure when they will have runners cross interstate to avoid the Max line but it could be that runners will be on the left side of the street. (Runners won't be taked a right turn onto the Broadway bridge....runners will be crossing under the overpass and taking a left and running on the left hand side of the Broadway bridge...I imagine they'll need to be on the other side of the Max line all the way down Interstate)

I'll be there at about 10:06 AM depending on how the start goes off...I can't wait to see the Lizards. Hand me some water and send me on my way to the finish.

Thanks for the heads up Julie! There will be a pre-race meeting of all the Aid Station captains. We'll be there and find out what's going on.

If I had some ham I could make ham and eggs if I had some eggs.

#4 Kate

Kate

Director of Public Relations

• Board Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1756 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this! It would be problematic if they moved us across the street because our traditional water source, that hydrant, it located on that side of the street. Jeff and I will make sure to confirm.

This is a really fun time, all! You'll yell yourselves horse, and stay way longer than you're scheduled.

#5 Melissa Wiseman

Melissa Wiseman

Newt

• Red Lizards
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

I will be there to volunteer at the aid station along with my mother and sister who are visiting from Michigan. They are very excited to lend a hand and witness great running. Please put the three of us down for the 8:45 - 11am time slot (Melissa, Shannon and Ryanne) and let me know any necessary info in preparation for the big day.

Thanks!
Melissa Wiseman
(734) 945-7294
Melissa.Wiseman@gmail.com

#6 Kate

Kate

• Board Members
  • 1756 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Melissa. Great, Thank you so much for scheduling the family in for this!

#7 Kate

Kate

• Board Members
  • 1756 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

What is going on?!!!!! Almost one week without anyone signing up!!! Check your calendars, all! Sign up! You won't regret it! Sick of the exclamations marks!!!!? Me, too:-)

#8 bhavred

bhavred

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

I can do the 845 shift. A friend of mine plans on helping too.

#9 Stephanie Gail

Stephanie Gail

Newt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

I can commit to the 12:45-3:00 shift. Looking forward to cheering on the runners!
Stephanie Liberman

#10 Kate

Kate

• Board Members
  • 1756 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

Yay! Thanks Stephanie and Bee!

#11 Shelley

Shelley

Newt

• Red Lizards
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

I'll sign up for the 8:45am shift!

#12 Angela

Angela

Secretary

• Admin
  • 2332 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

In! I love volunteering at our aid station!! Put me where needed most.

#13 Kate

Kate

• Board Members
  • 1756 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

Nice, Lizards! We've gotten ten volunteers signed up in the last 24 hours. Let's keep it up! Thanks to the above Lizards for committing.

#14 KellyM

KellyM

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

Count me in for the clean up crew!

#15 Kate

Kate

• Board Members