Photo

Track Workouts from 2008 - present (ongoing thread)

• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#46 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5922 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

Another November Tuesday but no downpour scheduled this week. Let's cross our fingers.

This week's workout

3 x 1000 (400)
3 x 600 (200)

All at L pace.

Variations:

High-mileage CIMer(s?): convert the 3 x 600 to 600-600-600 (600). Add an extra 1200 at the end.
Spokane XC runner(s?): do the 600s at M pace and adjust recovery accordingly

#47 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5922 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:19 PM

Track workout for Nov 25.

We've still got folks working these for 3 distinct purposes, so it's a good time for another hyper-flexible workout. Here's a fun variant on one we did a year ago. Note that these all behave a bit like 1200s

One set 600-600 (300 or 500 recovery)
One set 400-400-400 (400m recovery)
Two sets 300-300-300-300 (500 m recovery)

For most folks, this is early season. Do it at L pace.

CIMers, you know the drill: float fast, but not quite at L pace. You want less full-pace mileage than last week.
XC runners, consider pushing the pace on the short stuff toward M pace and slowing the floats as needed.

#48 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5922 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

This weeks' workout (Dec 2) will be simple. We've done it before. Short-medium stuff at L pace, with the opportunity for those who really want to to push it to M.

2 x 400 (200)
2 x 600 (200)
1 x 800 (200)
2 x 600 (200)
2 x 400 (200)

Nice, simple pyramid.
I don't think we have any marathoners left who aren't tapering.
If you push the pace to M, lollygag the recoveries.

#49 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5922 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:06 PM

Workout for Dec 9 (sorry to be slow posting, I was running errands all morning and forgot to post before I left). 'Tis the season for comfort food (and L pace). So, we'll go down a ladder folks have liked in the past:

1 x 1000 (400)
1 x 900 (300 or 500)
1 x 800 (200)
1 x 700 (300)
1 x 600 (200)
1 x 500 (300)
1 x 400

All at L.

Recoveries are designed to get the start of each interval to a sane place (either the 0 or 200 m mark.) If you get lost, count cones. Also, watch the time. Each one should get 20-35 sec slower, depending on your pace. And regroup!!!

It's off season, so take time in those recoveries.

#50 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5922 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:02 PM

There is a reason I like to check weather forecasts before posting workouts! Guy's it's gonna be COLD out there. I'm in San Francisco (which feels like normal Portland weather...they're talking snow HERE, btw!) but I left a workout with Bob. It's the following

12 x 400, in sets of 4 at L pace. Between elements of a set, 200m recovery. Between sets 400m.

HOWEVER...think twice about doing this at all. And if there's snow or ice on the track forget it. I've been too busy on my business trip to get details like that, but killing yourselves or pulling a muscle isn't what you want to do in the off season.

If you do go, you might tell Bob that a better idea might be cruise intervals. 11 x 600 @ T pace on 20-25 sec recoveries. That'll feel like tempo, and you won't stiffen up as much between intervals. But if it's as bad as the hype sounds, stay home and drink eggnog.

#51 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5922 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

I've been out of town, and just got back yesterday. Catching up. In case there's any doubt, track today is cancelled. You can do snowshoe intervals if you really want. Hopefully by next week we'll be able to run normally.

#52 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5922 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

OK, we're back in business this week, as far as I know. No snow on the track, right?

We'll return to L pace, but remember it's early season, so keep this modest. We'll hold it to 1000s and faux 1000s.

1 x 1000 (400)
3 x 500-500 (300)
1 x 1000

All at L pace.

#53 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5922 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

We'll just keep going with this thread for 2009. Maybe someone change the title from "2008" to "2008-09"?

For the workout, let's do the one that got blocked by snow three weeks ago, except for two brave souls...

12 x 400.

We'll do them in sets of 4 on 200m recoveries. Between sets, you get 400m.

L pace. Regroup with your buddies. The 200s aren't floats; they're real recoveries.

#54 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5922 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:44 AM

Great; here's the workout for today. We did this before, and it was kind of fun. Kind of a poor man's 5 x 1000, but we'll do it as a descending ladder. It's early season, so keep the pace sane, and recover decently.

1 x 1200 (400)
1 x 1100 (500)
1 x 1000 (400)
1 x 900 (300)
1 x 800

#55 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5922 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

More L pace. Sorry to be slow posting this; I made an impulse decision to attend a conference this week (in Portland) on the technology behind running chips. The food industry is interested in it to track perishables, etc.

Anyway,

We'll do

2 x 1000 (400)
3 x 600-400 (300)

See you there!

#56 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5922 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:50 AM

Track status for Jan 27 is dubious. Right now in my neighborhood, I have snow on top of ice. It's supposed to change to rain and warm up, but they just changed the transition time from 10 am to noon. If it melts out by midafternoon, we're on. I will update this post in a few hours.--Rick

It looks like it's going to melt out -- it is here. I'm not going to lock us into a specific workout until I see the track though. If there's an icy spot, I'll come up with a workout to dodge it. It's warming fast, though so I think we'll be on. Whatever the workout is, it'll be "L" pace, though. If conditions suck, we'll officially disband and anyone who wants to can go for a jog on Terwilliger.

Rick

#57 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5922 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

This week's workout will be a repeat of one we've done a few times before. It's kind of perfect for this time of year:

1000 (400)
900 (300)
800 (400)
700 (300)
600 (200)
500 (200)

Someday, we'll go *up* this ladder, but not this time.
All at L pace

#58 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5922 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:47 AM

Workout for Feb 10:

This is a simple one...

6 x 800 @ L pace on 200m recoveries. Recovery should take 50-100 percent of the time of the preceding interval. You can stretch it to 400m is you want, but most of you will probably prefer a very slow 200. If you've been doing this all year, you might start cutting down the recovery time a bit...though let you body be your guide. The shorter recovery will come (for most people -- everyone is, of course, a little different) as a result of getting into spring shape.

L pace, for the newcomers, is 1 sec/lap faster than 5K pace. If you don't know your 5K pace, look for a pace that you can maintain for the whole workout. My rule is that you should be able to do one more at the end of the workout if I held a gun to your head, but be glad I'm not the type to do that. That will get you into the ballpark.

High-mileage folks and folks well into their training for spring marathons can add an extra a couple more 800s if they want.

I won't be there, but Bob will have the cones, pace charts, dry erase boards, etc.

Rick

#59 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5922 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

Here's the workout for Feb 17

2 x 1200 @ L pace (400)
4 x 600 @ M pace (400)

Simple, and a touch of speed.

I'll be there if I'm back in time, but the timing might be a bit close. Bob still has the supplies, and several others know the routine. Anyway, I'll be there if I can; I'd call it 50-50.

Rick

#60 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5922 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

We'll continue mixing L with some M pace, but we'll up the ante on the M. To wit:

2 x 1000 @L (400)
3 sets 500-500 at L or M, your choice (300, slow)

See you tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users